none
VPN connects but can't access anything on network (Sonicwall)

Question

• I'm at the end of my rope here.  I've spent the past few days trying to figure this out. I have a users laptop to set up with our VPN, which is a sonicwall.  Her laptop is running Windows 8.  Using the Sonicwall global VPN client it connects just fine.  However, I am unable to reach anything on the internal network on the other side of the VPN, whether it is through ping or any other means.  I've used the same client on two Windows 7 laptops and it works flawlessly, and I've even tried using her user account on one of the Windows 7 laptops to make sure it wasn't an issue with her account, and I tested with my own account with the same results.  I've tried disabling the firewall, uninstalling her Norton 360 and running the norton removal tool just to be sure.  I've seen threads about this before but no one has answers.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
    Monday, May 20, 2013 4:34 PM

Answers

• I was able to resolve the issue. For those curious the issue was the wireless card driver.  I had to find a newer driver from a different manufacturer and it worked.  The wireless card was a Realtek RTL8723ae, which seems to be a bad card judging by all the complaints I found about it.
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:54 PM

All replies

• I haven't used Sonicwall ever, but there should be a setting for using
    the default gateway on the destination.  Whatever it is now on the
    Win8 machine, change it to the other setting.  I've noticed some
    differences in how that works with Windows 8 and that's what worked
    for me.

Also make sure the laptop has all the updates, there have been fixes
    in the TCP connections area.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, May 20, 2013 5:14 PM
  • I've now tried it on another Windows 8 laptop and didn't experience this issue, which leads me to believe it is something specific on this laptop.  I've tried in safe mode, but can not run the VPN connection in safe mode.  I've tried disabling all startup items and unnecessary services, but no luck.  I don't know where to go with this.  At this point I can't contact anyone for support as they will all point at one another saying the other service or software is at fault.
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:20 PM
  • I was able to resolve the issue. For those curious the issue was the wireless card driver.  I had to find a newer driver from a different manufacturer and it worked.  The wireless card was a Realtek RTL8723ae, which seems to be a bad card judging by all the complaints I found about it.
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:54 PM