none
Downgrade from Windows 7 RC 64 bit to 32 bit

Question

• Hi

Installed Win 7 RC 64bit on my new PC. Love it and everyhting worked perfectly. All the apps I've installed so far are working seamlessly.

However I also use this PC  for working at home from my corporate office and the tech guys have told me I need to downgrade to the Win7 32 bit version in order to run some company specific software. So here's the delema;
    a) Do I start all over again and do a fresh install of RC32?
    b) Partition the drive and create a bootable Win 7 RC32 partition?
    c) I don't think I can install RC 32 over RC64... someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.
    d)Create a bootable Win XP SP3 partition just for the company stuff? (I really don't want to go backwards!)

It all takes work and I don't mind that.  I really do like the fact that the 64bit version can address my 8GB memory but until the corporation starts supporting 64 bit I'm trapped in a 32 bit XP world.

Any help or comments would be appreciated before I start messing with the installs.

Dr J

Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Dr J

You are correct that you cannot downgrade or upgrade 32bit to 64bit or 64bit to 32bit.

The simplest and safest setup would be to just format the drive and install the 32-bit version clean, but this would involve reinstalling all of your software.

Make sure that you check with the company techs to make sure that their software programs are compatible with Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Dr J

You are correct that you cannot downgrade or upgrade 32bit to 64bit or 64bit to 32bit.

The simplest and safest setup would be to just format the drive and install the 32-bit version clean, but this would involve reinstalling all of your software.

Make sure that you check with the company techs to make sure that their software programs are compatible with Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:59 PM
  • I'm in the same boat. I got 64 bit up and running and it looks great but too many of my key programs aren't supported yet so I'm heading back to XP for another month or so until they catch up.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:42 PM
  • I though there was an XP emulation mode that Win7 would run in so that your older software would still function? It's on the feature list so I assume it functions.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Here is the tech net links
    Windows 7 virtual pc Beta
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=65e1c5eb-df9b-415f-b2d6-27f6ef5dceb9

Windows 7 - Windows xp Mode beta
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0E8FA9B3-C236-4B77-BE26-173F032F5159&displaylang=en

Or go to windows 7 web site from windows 7 and it will take you to the links...

And here is the link from windows 7 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/features/default.aspx
    Click on download  (Row states:  Windows Virtual PC Home   Features   Download   Get Started   Support)

Then Scroll Down Step 1 select your system 32 or 64 bit and what language
    Step 2 Down load the 32 or 64 bet virtual pc windows 7 beta
    Step 3 Download the virtual windows xp.

The other small problem with the 64 bit systems are, most print drivers are mini modes(which does graphic arts or printing no help), and a lot of the software has not been done for 64 bit systems.  So you may have to run a lot of virtual OSes.  You can use Virtual PC, VirtualBox, or VMware.  So far the Virtual windows XP works good execpt for the graphics mode will check that.

• Edited by DavidWade Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:41 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Greg, I'm sure it works fine... it's just the programs I use that won't run in Win7 are pretty big and pretty finnicky as it is -- so I don't want to push it. I figure all the software developers will be Win7 friendly within a month or two and then I'll upgrade again.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:27 PM
  • I though there was an XP emulation mode that Win7 would run in so that your older software would still function? It's on the feature list so I assume it functions.

The question remains whether 64bit Win7 can emulate 32bit XP?
    I do not know the real answer, but doubt somehow that it can.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:10 PM
  • The question remains whether 64bit Win7 can emulate 32bit XP?
    I do not know the real answer, but doubt somehow that it can.

Hi Vlad)

For most 32-bit programs, the 64-bit version of Windows 7 will run them just fine, just like any other version of Windows 64-bit.

The Windows Virtual PC (NOTE: This is not Virtual PC 2007) combined with the XP Mode component was designed specifically for those mission critical applications and hardware devices that do not work well on a 64-bit OS. These free components are designed to integrate into Windows 7 so that these 32-bit components run just as if they are another installed program/device in Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, May 15, 2009 8:31 AM
  • Hey Ronnie, would something as processor heavy as Pro Tools work under XP mode? The interface also relies on firewire.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:50 AM
  • Hi Bummed

I'm not sure about Firewire support?

I know that the Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode supports USB.

This is a question you might want to ask the experts on these new components in our Windows 7 Virtualization Forum.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, May 15, 2009 9:29 AM
  • Thanks Ronnie...

Figured as much. I'll have to go to 32 bit as the applications appearently will work in Win 7 RC32. They've tested them. Luckily I haven't gone far in the process of installing apps so It's only an hour or two of re-work.

Better get started,,,,,, Thanks to you for the help and comments from everyone else!

Dr J
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:24 AM
  • I know this is a bit late, but for anybody else, who has the 64 bit version installed, you do not have to uninstall and install the 32 bit version.  The Windows 7 Virtual PC will support both 32 and 64 bit virtual machines.  The Windows XP virtual, as of now is only a 32 bit version.  Since it is a beta, there are a few problems in the intergration.  But I believe this is only with Windows 7 Virtual PC.  It's a minor video issue, but so far as I have tested, All the items of XP it's self work fine.

Now if you realy need a windows 7 32 Bit RC, then use the Windows 7 Virtual PC and install it virtually.  You will then have all the needed functions except for firewire.  So far as of today none of the virtual software VMware workstation, Virtual Box, or Virtual PC have a firewire option.  (I don't know about virtual servers, I haven't as yet had a need to run a server)

But remember this, the Window XP Virtual is intergrated into Windows 7 and all drives are listed as mapped network drives, with the same drive letter as assigned by Windows 7.

For those that do not have AMD-virtualization or Intel virtualization technology, you can use VMware or Virtual box in Windows 7.  Just disable virtualization technology.  Virtual PC does not work in windows 7.  You Have to use Windows 7 virtual PC, and it does not give the choice to turn on or off Virtualization.

I have raised that issue and the video issue in there respective places.  There is a Virtual hard drive sizing problem, since it differencial, it's not signifcate, but it will make a 120 gig virtual drive, no matter the settings..
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Hi Ronnie...

OK... I said I'll format my C: partition and fresh install WIN7 RC32 bit to replace it. As the saying goes "a funny thing happened on the way to the forum". RC64 bit wouldn't let me format the partition so I thought OK I'll boot from the RC32 bit image disc and it will suggest to perfom the format. Wonder of wonders WIN 7 RC32 assumed I wanted to keeep the 64 bit install and so without asking, 32bit RC proceeded to create a dual boot installation.

So now I have the best of both worlds without having to lift a finger. My only comlaint is the when the dual boot screen comes up, both selections read only  "Windows 7". I think I would have liked to see which version was which bit type. I have to know that the first selection is the 32 bit version. I am still trying to discover why there doesn't seem to be any stress on my disk space as a result. Curious.

By the way...the 32 bit version of course does allow me to run my corporate specific software... which is great.

Some other things noted on the dual boot configuration;

- All background and personal setups are totally independent. Set them differently and you can tell which version you are in just by looking at backgrounds and screen formatting.
    - If you want to use your regular applications like Office 2007 in both environments they have to be installed independantly in each location. Setups are different.
    - Some directories associated with the user login for each environmnent can be seen but not accessed. The downloads area under the named boot login cannot.
    - Win XP compatibility mode seems to operate better on older apps in the 32 bit RC than the 64 bit environment.
    - A reboot/restart and logging into a different RC environment takes about 45 seconds. (pretty decent for my purposes)

All in all it is great to have the two environments side by side and I'm having a ball testing out the differences between them. It's a great education. Thanks Microsoft. Great job!!!

I'll write more when I've had a chance to try and break it in some more this week-end.

Regards....  Dr J

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:53 PM
  • My only comlaint is the when the dual boot screen comes up, both selections read only  "Windows 7". I think I would have liked to see which version was which bit type.

Names of boot menu items can be easily changed as You like with the program EasyBCD.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Sorry I missed that, but you can fix that easy with easyBCD version 1.7.2 located here.  http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

You can edit the boot up sequence of Vista or Windows 7 and relabel the boot item.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:13 PM
  • You can Upgrade from 32 to 64bit you cannot however downgrade 64 to 32 bit. i would suggest partitioning your hard drive and have both one for work and one for your own stuff.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:20 PM