none
No speakers or headphones are plugged in. Realtek

Question

• Hi All,
    I have spent days on this issue and am ready to buy a separate sound card just to deal with it.  I have a Compaq SR5233wm desktop, w/on-board audio, that came with Vista and I changed to XP.  Everything worked fine albeit quite slow after a while.  Did a clean install of Win 7 32 bit and now I get the msg "No speakers or headphones are plugged in".  They are plugged in to the on-board sound (on a separate sound source they work just fine).  Even tried different working speakers and headphones to no avail. 

I've been working w/HP/Compaq support trying different drivers from Realtek and a variety of different approaches listed below (See copy of the cumulative email).  HP/Compaq finally gave up and said I didn't get Win 7 from them (they don't offer it actually) so talk to Microsoft.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

The following is the cumulative email between me(orange) and HP/Compaq (green)- Read in reverse order -

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care. My name is Bibin. I am from the desktop email support team.

I understand your concern that you did not receive the reply for you previous email. Also you would like to know whether the speaker port might be causing the issue. Thank you for forwarding your concern. I will definitely assist you in this regard.

Gary, I check in our records and it seems that we have replied you earlier for your previous query. However, since you have not received the reply, I am attaching the earlier response below this email.

I have gone through all the interactions with you and it seems that we have given all the possible troubleshooting steps. Now, to resolve the issue, as you have mentioned, we need to check the hard ware functionality of the audio device.

To check this, you have to get your computer to the factory shipped settings. You can perform a system recovery and get back the factory shipped operating system and other applications. Once recovery is done, we can perform a hard ware diagnostic test on the audio device using the hardware diagnostic tool and see whether there is any hard ware issue.

If you do not want to perform a system recovery and get the factory shipped operating system, the only other option is to take the computer to a service center and get it checked.

Please let us know whether you would like to perform a system recovery, so that we can provide you the necessary steps to perform the system recovery and do a hardware diagnostic test on the audio device.

DISCLAIMER: HP does not recommend changing or upgrading the Operating System (OS) to a retail version, as it might lead to missing device drivers which need to be downloaded separately from third party websites, and our support will be limited after such a change. HP’s warranty and support cover only the original pre-installed operating system and software.

Since you have changed the operating system to a retail version, HP policies does not allow me to escalate this issue to the higher level. Hope you understand my scope of support in this regard.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

Note: Please find below the reply from Val S for your previous interaction.

Sincerely, Bibin

Sent:

11/05/09 10:24:14

So it has been 22 hours since I sent the reply that is below this info.

Another question, what is it that causes the software to know that something is plugged into the speaker/headphone port? There must be a sensing of a power draw or something. Could it be that the onboard audio broke coincidentally with Win 7 being installed? I don’t think so but I guess it is possible.

Also, have other folks with this motherboard reported audio issues with Win 7?

Reply from Val S Gary, I would like to inform you that our scope of support is only limited to the factory installed hardware and operating system. Since you had installed a retail version of Windows 7, it is difficult to get the correct drivers or firmware for the computer. This is because it might lead to missing device drivers, which need to be downloaded separately from third party websites.

We would not have much information on windows 7 and its functionality as we shipped windows vista with this computer we request you to contact Microsoft phone support for further assistance.

And if you have purchased retail version of the  Microsoft Windows 7 Operating System then you need to contact  Microsoft, I am providing you the phone support number contact Microsoft for further query : Microsoft (R) Corp: 425-454-2030 / 800-426-9400

If the computer was working fine with the factory installed, Windows Vista then there is no issue with its hardware and it is confirmed that it is issue with the drivers.

In one of the previous email, you were provided Realtek audio driver for Windows 7 and it too failed to resolve the sound issue but in device manager, it says it is working correctly. In this situation you need to check if the audio device is correctly configured in Control Panel > Sounds.

Also note that the drivers that you are trying to install is not for Windows 7, this is the reason you get the error message as minimum system requirements not met.

Please check the article given below

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01884922&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 9:39 AM

Been there, done that. Step 3, Figure 4 – the speakers are grayed out and will not allow selection, the same for the Set default button.

Please escalate my problem, it does not seem the folks at your level have the answer.

Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 11:16 PM

Hello Gary,

Thank you for contacting HP Total care. My name is Charlse. I’m from the Desktop E-mail support team.

Gary, I am sorry to hear that once again you have to answer those questions. However, let me go ahead and see what best I can do for you to get your issue resolved.

Dear Gary, the web link, which was given by our previous agent, works with Windows7 also.
    I request you to perform the steps from that link and it should resolve this issue.
    For your convenience I am providing that web link once again.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00820207 <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00820207&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en> &cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

If the issue persists, please get back to us. Please be assured that your e-mail is important to us and helping you resolve the issue is our greatest reward. Please reply if you have any other query. We will be happy to assist you further. Sincerely, Charlse

gcheris@gmail.com
    Sent: 11/03/09 12:15:59
    Subject: RE: RE: Re: Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC e-mail support {ticketno:[8031292821]}
    Hi Charlse,
    If you had read the whole ticket you would already have the answers to the questions you are asking. But, one more time, for time’s sake I’ll will answer again.

No sound ever, yes I’ve tried other speakers, Since I just installed Win 7, I just installed Win 7 plus MS Office 2007, both sets of speakers work elsewhere!

From: PAVILION_SUPPORT_EN@MAIL.SUPPORT.HP.COM Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 10:16 PM

Hello Gary,

Thank you for contacting HP Total care. My name is Charlse. I’m from the Desktop E-mail support team.

Gary, on reading your E-mail I understand that, even after reinstalling the audio drivers the issue persists.

Dear Gary, I can understand your feelings and will assist you to resolve this issue.  Gary, to assist you in better way I need little information regarding this issue. Gary, can you able to hear sound during logon? Have you tried with any headphone or speakers? Since when are you facing this issue? Have you installed any software or hardware? Have you checked that headphone and the speakers with some other computer?
    I request you to get back to us with the above mentioned information to give you proper resolution.

Subject: RE: Re: Compaq Presario SR5233WM DesktopPC e-mail support
    Hi,
    Followed your instructions completely and got – “speakers not plugged in”. The driver version is presently listed as 6.0.1.5969, 10/28/09, Realtek Semiconductor.

Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 3:46 PM

Hello Gary,

Thank you for getting back to HPTotal Care. This is Mathew K from desktop e-mail support team. I am glad to assist you in this regard.

Gary, I am sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will surely try to resolve this issue. This issue might be with the audio card, so you need to uninstall and then reinstall the audio drivers from device manager.

To uninstall the audio drivers from device manager:-
    1. Click Start, and enter device manager into the Start Search field.
    2. Double-click a device type (for example, double-click Display adapters ) to see the devices in that category.
    3. Right-click the device you want, and then click uninstall. 4. Then click on “OK”.

To reinstall the audio drivers:- Please click on the link given below to download the audio drivers.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1 <http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs> &PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs

1. Click on the above link then “Check” I accept to the above and click on “Next”
    2. Then select High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)
    3. Click on option “GO” on the left side of “Vista, Windows7 Driver(32/64 bits) Driver only (Executable file)” and then install the drivers. If any issues please get back to us with the results.

gcheris@gmail.com
    Sent: 11/03/09 04:39:58
    Subject: Re: Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC e-mail support {ticketno:[8031292821]}
    Hi, I've done that several times - according to previous instructions.
    Secondly, I keep telling you folks I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium but you folks keep saying Vista. I am starting to lose confidence in HP support.
    Thanks, Gary

On Nov 2, 2009, at 10:22 AM, <PAVILION_SUPPORT_EN@MAIL.SUPPORT.HP.COM>
    wrote:

Gary, in order to resolve this issue I request you to follow the steps mentioned in the link given below and get back to  us with the results. No Sound from the Speakers in Windows Vista
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00820207&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en
    > Please follow the steps that is mentioned in the sequential order and get back to us, If you face any difficulties. This should resolve the issue.

From: PAVILION_SUPPORT_EN@MAIL.SUPPORT.HP.COM Sent: Monday,
    > November 02, 2009 1:33 AM

Gary, to resolve this issue, I need some more information from your side. Please get back to us with the below details. 1. Are you connecting the monitor speaker or separate external speaker? Separate speaker that is confirmed working, no extension cable.

2. Do you use an HDMI cable to connect to the monitor or a normal VGA cable? VGA cable

3. Have you added separate audio card or video card to your computer? Audio is on the motherboard (Compaq SR5233wm)

4. When do you get the message “thereare no audio devices plugged into the system”? When I click on the Speaker icon in lower right (it has a red ‘X” on it.

5. Please connect a headphone and check whether you get any sounds? No I don’t.

6. Please go to the below settings: * Goto Start > Control panel * Click on Classic View if it
    > is not selected already * Double Click on Sound Icon * In the Playback tab, check any play back devices is enabled? Please get back to us with the results andwe will be happy to assist you further. There is no classic view option, just Category, large icons & small icons. Using the icon view I went to sound but there was no Playback Tab.

Sent: 11/02/09 14:14:49 Subject: RE: RE: Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC e-mail support {ticketno:[8031292821]}

Hi Again, This is actually Gary, Debbie is my wife and she uses an HP laptop. I’ve gotten all the driver updates from Realtec and the MS updates, installed them allto no avail. I checked the speakers independently and the play sound just fine, thy are plugged into the middle (light green) socket. In Device Manager it says the driver is 6.0.1.5969 and is working properly. I went into
    > the bios and changed the audio from automatic to enabled. I still get the message that “there are no audio devices plugged into the system”. Now what? Gary

From: PAVILION_SUPPORT_EN@MAIL.SUPPORT.HP.COM  Sent: Sunday, November01, 2009 10:24 PM To: gcheris@gmail.com Subject: RE: RE: Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC e-mail support {ticketno:[8031292821]} Hello Deborah, Thank you for contacting HP Total care for Desktop Email support. My name is Sammy P. I understand from your email that you
    > have installed windows 7 Operating system and you are updating the HP update because to resolve the sound issue. I greatly appreciate that you have forwarded your concerns and given me a chance to assist you with this issue. I would like to inform you that the sp44392.exe is for the HP Media Smart application. The HP Media Smart application is used to play the Light scribe DVDs.

If you are facing the issue with the sound then please perform the steps from the below web link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01884922 & cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en Sincerely, Sammy

From: gcheris@gmail.com  Sent: 11/02/09 11:17:58 Subject: RE: Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC e-mail support {ticketno:[8031292821]}

Hi, Thanks for your quick reply. It seems we have some mis-communication. The operating system is not different than what is specified in your documentation. It was for Windows 7 32-bit – which is what I have – a brand new install! Maybe your on-line documentation is in error?

The problem I am trying to solve is that my audio has quit working in conjunction with the install of Windows 7 home premium.

>
    [mailto:PAVILION_SUPPORT_EN@MAIL.SUPPORT.HP.COM]

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:07 PM To: gcheris@gmail.com Subject: RE: Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC e-mail support Hello Gary, Thank you for contacting HP Total care for Desktop Email support. My name is Sammy P. I understand from your email that, while installing the update file sp44392.exeyou are getting a message saying that, “system does not meet the minimum requirements (9997)”. I greatly appreciate that you have forwarded your concerns and given me a chance to assist you with this issue. Cause of the issue: The error displays when the computer has a different edition of the operating system than is required by the update. For example, the update applies only to computers with a 64-bit edition of Windows Vista and the computer has a32-bit version of Windows Vista.

Usually, this error indicates the update is not needed for your computer and it should not be installed. To check the operating system on your computer, click Start , right-click My Computer (or Computer ), and then click Properties . Check the operating system requirement for the update. Solution: If the operating system on the computer matches the operating system required for the update, follow these steps to install the update again:

1.      Restart the computer. 2. Click Start , All Programs , Accessories , System Tools , and then click Disk Cleanup . 3. Select the hard drive with the operating system (usually C:), and then click OK . Wait for disk cleanup to calculate how much disk space it can save. 4. Select Temporary Files , and then click OK . It might take a while for the Disk Cleanup utility to remove the files. 5. Try to install the update again.

2.      I am also providing you the Web Link which will help you to perform the above steps by referring to the pictorial representation. The Web Link is: NOTE: Clicking the link may give an error indicating that it is invalid. If this occurs, copy the link and paste it on the address bar in your browser until the complete address is displayed in the Address box. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01728720

I request you to get back with result of troubleshooting steps that you have performed.

From: gcheris@gmail.com To: HP Support Sent: 11/01/09 11:15:16 Subject: Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PCe-mail support hp e-mail support

Web form submittal date/time : 01 November 2009 05:45:36 UTC language_ code : en
    language : English      Country of Residence : United States

product_ line : > 6J product_ oid :
    product_ name : Compaq Presario SR5233WM Desktop PC part_ number : GN578AA, GN578AAR, GN578AS, GN578ASR
    purchase > month : 5 purchase year :
    2008 problem area : speakers-sound   serial > number : cn273710s4

operating system:
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32
    What type and brand of CD/DVD media do you use?
    :sony
    Was the CD/DVD writer drive built into the computer when you purchased it?
    : yes
    Can you hear sound from the connected speakers? : no

Does the display on the music center appear to be working properly? :
    yes
    Have you connected the music center to your TV, DVD or music system? :
    no
    error message : #9997 problem description : trying to install up
    > date file sp44392.exe and get the msg system does not meet the minimum requirements (9997). What to do?

Model # comes from the bios screen, presently have bios rev 5.16 10-1-07.

troubleshooting : Multiple attempts at installing file with same results.

Setting changes :  Installed cleanWin 7 Home Premium.Speakers not working so I was looking for an update. Device mgr says audio working properly.
    >
    > No Sound from the Speakers in Windows Vista

>  
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00820207&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en
    >
    > Please follow the steps that is mentioned in the sequential order and get back to us, If you face any difficulties.  

Saturday, November 07, 2009 8:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Gary,

This should be a hardware driver issue.

Realtek is keeping update their driver these days. Try the Windows 7 driver on this page:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

After installing the driver (if it can be installed), it will add a little speaker icon on Notification area. Check the settings carefully to see if speakers or headphones can be recognized.

Monday, November 09, 2009 9:10 AM
  • Hi Gary,

I have the same trouble with sound! Did you solve this problem?
    If so, tell me how, please!

My system is:
    Windows 7 Ultimate (Build 7600) - clean install.
    Gigabyte ga-m61pm-s2 rev 2, Athlon X2 6000+, 3Gb DDR2-800.
    Integrated audio - Realtek HD Audio (ALC883)

Downloaded and installed all windows updates and latest drivers from Realtek (6.0.1.6013).
    Audio device status: This device is working properly.
    In the bottom right corner of screen - volume icon is in red state and says "No speakers or headphones are plugged in."
    Realtek HD Audio Manager detects plugged speakers and headphones but everything else seems not working -
    there is nothing in "Default Format" combobox, speaker configuration tab displays just monitor without any speakers,
    choosing speaker configuration has no effect, room correction is grayed, digital in/out not working either.

Same hardware works fine under WinXP.

Don't have a clue what should I do next.

Help, please.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 6:18 PM
  • Hello mate

This might sound stupid but i had the same error and this worked for me.

plug your speakers into the back ports of the PC (light green port)

plug some cheap £1-£2 earphones into the front port (light green) worked straight away!

Let me know if that works

Monday, January 03, 2011 12:19 PM
  • I am going through the same issue, that everything was working fine in XP Pro but as soon as I installed Win7, the audio refused to work and speaker shows a red cross on it. While trouble shooting I get the message, "The peripheral does not appear to be plugged in". I searched the whole mother board but didn't find any clue which peripheral it could be. I followed almost every blog and discussion forum to get it fixed, but nothing could help. Also tried to download drivers from Lenovo and ReakTek sites, but of no use. After a long hard in-effective tries, i gave up and going back to Win XP. I have Lenovo Desktop 8807A46. If someone could find a solution, I would like to go back to Win 7.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:11 PM
  • hey' that gets rid of that dreaded red x icon. plugging in headphones in the front port must make the computer reconize somethings plugged in. i had the same issue when i hovered over the speaker icon....it showed no speakers plugged in ( when they are). so plug in headphones in  front , take them out and go to your regular audio port in back. its not bad sound cards.
    Saturday, July 06, 2013 5:57 AM