none
Windows 7 installation in UEFI mode to install Windows 7 x64 OS from USB flash drive to drives larger than 2 TB drives

Question

• So I have read numerous posts regarding this topic for the last 2 days on different websites and this website has the closest solution to making it work. So here is my dilema.

I am testing drives up to 3 TB in size and I have to install the OS on them. I am currently doing them from CDrom but it takes longer. I have no problem installing Windows 7x64 on drives smaller than 2 TB with a flash drive. I have created the flash drives manually using bootsect, automatically with Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, and Yumi, and they work flawlessly with the <2TB drives. I want to be able to do the same thing using a flash drive and install Windows 7x64 in drives >2TB, of course in UEFI mode.

I have followed different combinations of renaming the CDBOOT.EFI to BOOTX64.EFI, moving the F:\efi\microsoft\boot to F:\efi\boot but I still cannot install.

I have a variety of Intel motherboards, DX58SO to DG41TY. You go into the BIOS with F2 key, enable UEFI boot, Save, Restart and press F10 key for the boot menu. It will list the devices there. (I do not see where I can go to a EFI shell in these motherboards, but I can boot a device in UEFI mode asl long as it has a Windows 7x64/8x64 DVD in them ). You select the DVDrom with EFI shell and it boots from the DVDrom where I can do the OS installations.

I created the USB flash drives by both formating as NTFS and FAT32, ran bootsect.exe /nt60 X:, copied all the files from Disti DVD to flash drives, renamed the cdboot.efi to bootx64.efi  and when I hit the F10 to get the Boot menu, I see the Flash Drive with EFI shell but when I select it, it acts like a DVDrom and asks me to hit Any Key to boot from DVD, when I do but it goes back to the Boot Menu. It acts like it is stcuked in a loop.

I am also doing Tests with Windows 8 Beta so in case the instructions are different, I would appreciate someone posting here. I greatly thank you all in advance.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

May I know what happens when trying to install from DVD drive?

Please refer to the following article and re-configure BIOS settings.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209045

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1840

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

For more information about UEFI and Windows

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463149.aspx

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by jsibauste Monday, July 18, 2011 3:49 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please let me know if you performed my previous suggestions? Here are the general steps to boot into EFI mode

1. Insert the installation DVD or USB flash drive, and boot the computer.

2. When the firmware starts to initialize, press the key that opens the UEFI firmware boot device menu, such as F10.

3. Select EFI USB Drive. You may be immediately prompted to press a key to boot from the drive to continue.

On some computers, you may need to manually select the boot files. For example, select Boot from file, and navigate to the file: \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI on your boot device

If it doesn't work, I suggest contacting Intel to check if it supports booting USB to EFI mode.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/16111

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by jsibauste Monday, July 18, 2011 7:51 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Thank you for responding Niki. When I use and boot from a Windows 7 x64 DVD, the installation behaves as normal. Meaning, I see both choices to boot (Regular DVD boot and EFI Shell boot). Once I boot, I am able to convert the partition to GPT and continue the installation using around 2.7 TB of the drive for the OS partition, around 100 MB for the System Reserved partition.

The problem with the flash drive is that I am not able to boot in EFI mode. I can install Windows 7x64 but I cannot make partitions larget than the 2TB treshold.

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Niki, thank you so much for your help. You won't believe it but I almost didn't click on the links you sent me, thinking "here we go, someone else sending links (I had gone to soo many others posted in many forums) instead of just writing the instructions, but I decide to click  on them. Sure enough, in plain English, the easiest explanation on how to do it. I think it was 2 sentences or so on what to do. I had read thread after thread with convaluted, complicated answers. Couldn't be simpler.

I used the first link. I will read the other ones when I have more time. That first link should be the first link that google or other search engines find.

Again, thank you very much.

Friday, July 15, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Niki, the instructions here http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209045 worked flawlessly.

The Intel boards that I use require the F10 key to be pressed to boot to the menu where I can select a EFI enabled device. Basically these instructions that you have:

2. When the firmware starts to initialize, press the key that opens the UEFI firmware boot device menu, such as F10.

3. Select EFI USB Drive. You may be immediately prompted to press a key to boot from the drive to continue.

Monday, July 18, 2011 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

May I know what happens when trying to install from DVD drive?

Please refer to the following article and re-configure BIOS settings.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209045

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1840

For more information about UEFI and Windows

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463149.aspx

Best Regards,

Niki

• Marked as answer by jsibauste Monday, July 18, 2011 3:49 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Thank you for responding Niki. When I use and boot from a Windows 7 x64 DVD, the installation behaves as normal. Meaning, I see both choices to boot (Regular DVD boot and EFI Shell boot). Once I boot, I am able to convert the partition to GPT and continue the installation using around 2.7 TB of the drive for the OS partition, around 100 MB for the System Reserved partition.

The problem with the flash drive is that I am not able to boot in EFI mode. I can install Windows 7x64 but I cannot make partitions larget than the 2TB treshold.

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Niki, thank you so much for your help. You won't believe it but I almost didn't click on the links you sent me, thinking "here we go, someone else sending links (I had gone to soo many others posted in many forums) instead of just writing the instructions, but I decide to click  on them. Sure enough, in plain English, the easiest explanation on how to do it. I think it was 2 sentences or so on what to do. I had read thread after thread with convaluted, complicated answers. Couldn't be simpler.

I used the first link. I will read the other ones when I have more time. That first link should be the first link that google or other search engines find.

Again, thank you very much.

Friday, July 15, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

Would you please let me know if you performed my previous suggestions? Here are the general steps to boot into EFI mode

On some computers, you may need to manually select the boot files. For example, select Boot from file, and navigate to the file: \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI on your boot device

If it doesn't work, I suggest contacting Intel to check if it supports booting USB to EFI mode.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/16111

Best Regards,

Niki

Monday, July 18, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Niki, the instructions here http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209045 worked flawlessly.

The Intel boards that I use require the F10 key to be pressed to boot to the menu where I can select a EFI enabled device. Basically these instructions that you have:

Monday, July 18, 2011 7:51 PM