none
Vista Sp1 + Laptop keeps rebooting + DCOM Server Process & Plug and Play Services errors

Question

• Hello Friends,

I got rid of old files and programmes yesterday and looks like something went wrong. My laptop is just rebooting everytime it starts up. I am getting following three errors, probably randomly if I have failed to notice any sequence.

1. plug and play service terminated unexpectedly

2. dcom server process launcher service terminated unexpectedly

3. Host process for windows services stopped working

As per suggestions in another thread on this forum, I went to 'Problem Reports and Solutions' and located 'host process' and 'DCOM process server' problems and searched for solutions. It didnot show any solutions.

So pasting the problem details here.

1. DCOM Server process launcher

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: svchost.exe_DcomLaunch

Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Application Timestamp: 47918b89

Fault Module Name: StackHash_1703

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00091e0f

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 1703

Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9

Additional Information 3: 1344

Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 951979492

2. Host process services

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: svchost.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549adc4

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000276d6

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 370420124

I will really appreciate if some one please throw a little on this and help me out !!

Regards

VJ

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:10 AM

All replies

• Same issue here.  I hope a MS engineer is monitoring this thread because I sure could use a fix for this.

• Proposed as answer by Tharindu MK Monday, February 09, 2009 5:02 PM
    Friday, October 17, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Please try to boot the computer in a windows safe mode and check if atleast boots up without errors?

You can boot a computer in a safe mode by hitting the F8 key when the computer is booting up, & then select "Safe Mode"

Did you installed any software or codec after which you started facing this issue?

There is also an option for adding the application in the DEP, but I wont be recommending that as of now.

So please check the output from the above steps and let me know the result of the same.

Friday, October 17, 2008 10:21 PM
  • First of all thanks for taking a time out and replying to my SOS.

I tried booting in Safe mode. but it still throws up one of the above errors and shutdowns(restarts).

I also tried option of 'disable the restart if error occurs (or something like tht)' and it doesn't stop shutting it down.

I haven't installed any software which might have created this issue. However I was cleaning my machine (deleting old movie files & uninstalling junk softwares) so that I can shrink one of my partitions and load another operating system (Windows Server 2003/2008 or linux) but something went wrong the very night when i was cleaning it up.

The bad part is I am even not able to modify the partitions. Because 'the window which shows the partitions etc. is showing a little message ... 'cannot connect to virtual disk' (I hope I wrote it correctly) and its showing 'no' partitions as it used to previously.

Any help is really appreciated.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:27 AM
  • Hello friend,

Can you please give in your details what could have started this problem on your machine ? Just curious if I missed any details in describing or might remember if I am overlooking anything that I might have done on my machine.

Thanks

Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:31 AM
  • Hi again and thanks for providing the update on the status so soon and it gave me quite the info I needed.

Well it would be very difficult for me to determine the exact cause of the issue, but from the description that you have provided it seems, since you were uninstalling some software s from your computer which triggered the issue, so I suspect that you might have accidentally removed some  software that could have linked (or shared dlls) which are now not working in the they how they should.

Any issue where the system reboots after showing the windows screen, clearly indicates that the issue is with the corrupt dlls. I suspect the same over here.

You might try to repair the windows which will replace all the corrupted dll's or try a system restore at this moment. But if you are having some data on your primary partition (C: , I assume), and the system is not allowing you to take a backup of the data available on the drive, in that case you can use a ubuntu live boot disk to mount the hard disk and then take backup to an external Hard drisk or USB drive.

Check the below given links for reparing vista or using ubuntu live boot disk for data recovery:

Reparing Vista:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html
    http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Windows-Vista-Repair&id=485947
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2264

Recovering Data:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
    (Note you can request a free disk from Ubuntu, https://shipit.ubuntu.com/)

I hope I was able to address your query, as I know that I am not that good in explaining things.
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 5:42 AM
  • Hi Guys,
                     I'm also getting the same issue. I tried to make a system restore, but I failed to restore..and also I'm having a problem in my security center too, it doesn't  start automatically, when I tried to turn it on it gives me a message "Security Center Service can't be started.".
                     Is this is a virus attack or something else. If any one can give me a solution that will be a great help to me. :)

regards,
    Tharindu

Tharindu
    Monday, February 09, 2009 5:11 PM
  • same problem plug and play fault and security center service cannot be started...
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:14 AM
  • r1ckz said:

same problem plug and play fault and security center service cannot be started...

ya i do hav started getting same problem from yesterday..
    security centre has stopped working and it can not be started,but my laptop does not restart as soon as i log in instead it restarts after half an hour..
    the error message"dcom server process terminated unexpectedly,logging off"gets displayed..sometimes error message for plug and play service is also displayed before restarting..
    please provide me some solution if possible on my email id:immukesh007@gmail.com....

Sunday, March 22, 2009 12:16 PM
  • Had the same problem as described above. It was ever since i un-installed a few programmes (games mainly tbh) and took a few msconfig start up off. Got fed up of trying to fix the problem so did a fresh full vista install.

Dont try doing a system restore as it doesn't work, i took my restore 6 months back in the end, to find the same problem persisted. I'd say if you have your vista disk then just do a fresh install, i tried everything else and had no success...

GOON SHUDDERS AT THE THOUGHT OF DOWNLOADING ALL THOSE UPDATES AGAIN GRRRRRRR
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 4:03 PM
  • 1. plug and play service terminated unexpectedly

2. dcom server process launcher service terminated unexpectedly

3. Host process for windows services stopped working

This happens about 5-7 min after I start to play a game on my cpu

This Only happens when I play a select few of my games.  Some games are off steam Client some games are CD...at any rate theres nothing in common about these games.   Iv done Fresh installs and restores and all that jazz,  nothing has worked. Been going on for Months and months and months.

vista 32bit,    8800gt       4gig  dual 3.2windsor                

If anyone needs more info about this prob

Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:04 PM
  • I'm also getting this problem too.

Result

1. Security center service turns off by itself and can't be turned back on.

2. After about 45 minutes after turning my computer on, the computer restarts.

3. When my computer is about to restart 3 windows pop-up: 1. DCOM terminated(forgot what they exactly says)
                                                                                           2. Host Services closed
                                                                                           3. Plug and Play terminated.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problems that might have occured which led to the restarting

1. I forced my computer to close when my computer was updating from Windows (Not installing)

2. I plugged in my Xbox 360 controller and got the blue screen of death

3. Downloaded a copy of a game called Street Fighter 4 from Megaupload.com. Not sure if it has virus or malwares at the moment but I uninstalled the whole game and the files (I have the game so I'm not pirating it.)

4. Downloaded Xbox 360 Accessories from Microsoft.com but a problem poped up saying I could not install it.

After doing all of this, the following day this happens...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I tried to do to fix this problem but did not work .

1. Update my Windows

2. Uninstall the things I installed yesterday.

3. Scanning for Virus and Malware at the moment (Most likely won't work...)

4. Tried Restoring back at a time but the earliest point was AFTER I installed everything...

5. Unplugged my Xbox 360 controller out of my usb ports. (I used the usb ports after this happened and it still works.)

Can anyone PLEASE solve this problem because this is really getting annoying,frustrating, and out of hand...
    • Edited by Genkai Saturday, July 04, 2009 7:59 AM
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 7:53 AM
  • ^

I also tried going to Plug and Play processes and told it to not restart but it still restarts...
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 7:58 AM
  • mine is doing the same and it is worrying me to ____ that ive broke it i need help big time...HELP
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:05 PM
  • I also have been having this problem It has been restarting 20mins or so into being on. I recently got a blue screen.

Might post screen capture of error message.

And What might be a unrelated problem is that my google searches are redirecting to some random search sites most of the time I click a link.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:21 AM
  • I also have been having this problem It has been restarting 20mins or so into being on. I recently got a blue screen.

Might post screen capture of error message.

And What might be a unrelated problem is that my google searches are redirecting to some random search sites most of the time I click a link.
    i get the same problem, the restarting can sometimes be random, either 20min in or 3 hours later, but i also have been frequently redirected to a website telling me to check for viruses, sometimes redirected from legit, well know websites. it seems harmless, but i wonder if its related.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:49 AM
  • I got rid of the problem I had it do an automatic restart to a restore point that it provided. It didn't give me any more trouble. Good luck all of you.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:37 AM
  • I've had two clients computers in a row with this same issue. I get those error messages described. I was able to thwart the shut down by having the command prompt open and shutdown -a typed at the ready. However what ever is causing the problems is shutting down a number if services including Windows Update Service. They will not start back up. I've been searching for an answer to the problem for several days and have found absolutely NOTHING. No one has a single clue as to what this is. I ended up recovering the user's data and reinstalling the O/S. It has occurred in Windows Vista Home - Premium and Basic. Both of these client's computers were from HP/Compaq. As a technician it is important for me to locate and resolve the issues asap as my clients want their machines back "Yesterday". It seemed related to spybot, however I was able to run a complete scan and remove several instances of malware with spybot in Safe Mode with no issue. Yet the problem still remains, even if no applications are running in the foreground. I recommend running a clean install. 
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:48 PM
  • a fresh install of windows fixed it for me. but i understand thats not always an option for some people :(
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:52 PM
  • The same issue is happening to my laptop. It began today after Mcaffee updated and had me restart windows. I have no idea how to fix it as my computer flashes a "plug and play has terminated unexpectedly" or "power plug has terminated " it then restarts. I also see a screenshot reader has failed message. if i had more than five minutes after opening windows, maybe I could try to repair this. 
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:33 PM