none
When i open games i get a hardware acceleration message

Question

• I have recently had my computer completly cleaned out and had windows 7 installed. Whenever I try to open games like freecell or solitaire I get a Hardware acceleration message that says Hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported by your video card driver, which could slow game performance. Make sure you have the latest video card driver installed and that hardware acceleration is turned on. When I went to my device manager and under display adapters it says Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. Is there anything I can do? Can anyone help? Hope to hear from someone soon. Thank you.

Sbrook1130

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:31 PM

Answers

• It would help a lot more if you posted your Dell Service Tag #. A "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" only means you don't have the correct drivers installed.

EDIT: Dell does not list any drivers for Windows later than XP for this system, it might be that it will never run W7 successfully.

According to http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&os=WW1&osl=en&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_3100&catid=-1&impid=-1 there were 2 different graphics cards/chips fitted to this model. You would need to install the main chipset drivers from Intel before you could install the correct graphics anyway.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:47 PM

All replies

• Install the correct drivers for your graphics card and install DirectX 9.0c.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Sorry I'm pretty computer illiterate so how do i know what drivers to install and how do i get DirectX9.0c.

sbrook1130
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Do you know the computer make/model, what graphics card you have? Any clues that might help us to help you?
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:57 PM
  • It is a Dell Dimension E310 Series, Intel Pentuim 4 Processor 521 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1gm DDR 533 MH3 ram and Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. Does any of that help?

sbrook1130
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:25 PM
  • It would help a lot more if you posted your Dell Service Tag #. A "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" only means you don't have the correct drivers installed.

EDIT: Dell does not list any drivers for Windows later than XP for this system, it might be that it will never run W7 successfully.

According to http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&os=WW1&osl=en&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_3100&catid=-1&impid=-1 there were 2 different graphics cards/chips fitted to this model. You would need to install the main chipset drivers from Intel before you could install the correct graphics anyway.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:47 PM
  • Ok thank you for all your help.

sbrook1130
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:59 PM