none
Visioneer OneTouch 7100 Drivers

Question

• The XP drivers do not work on a clean install of Vista RC2.  Visioneer does not support the product any more.  Has anyone had any luck in this area?

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:46 PM

All replies

•  

Here is how I did it

I downloaded the scanner package from the Visioneer web site and installed it on my Vista business in windows XP mode.

Then I opened up device manager right clicked the scanner icon and clicked update driver

And selected search for the best driver automatically and a driver was downloaded and installed.

I went to the scanner and fax program in Vista and now I have a working Visioneer 7100

Scanner.

Next I went to control panel and selected Programs and Features and removed the Visioneer software and not the visioneer drivers as you remove the software a menu will appear asking if you want to remove the drivers as well with a menu.

my scanner worked after I removed the Visioneer software it seemed to take a minute or two for Vista to finger out that the scanner was still there after I removed the software but now I have a perfect working scanner.

I remember installing this scanner in XP sometimes it turned into a driver nightmare and

Other times the install went smoothly.

• Proposed as answer by Twinklebug Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Twinklebug Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Twinklebug Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:26 PM
    Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:07 PM
  • Hi -

Can you tell me how you did your install in XP mode?

thanks  -  Cindy

Thursday, February 01, 2007 3:13 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

I see that you have not receved any reply. There must be a reason for this.

Visioneer scanners are not currently compatible with Windows Vista. See

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_RTM_Hardware_Compatibility_List

Visioneer UK has written me as follows:

Visioneer are currently testing Windows Vista and are assessing which products will have Windows Vista drivers. It is expected that current units will run on Windows Vista however we have yet to confirm which units this will cover. We anticipate rolling drivers out over the next 2 to 3 months. I would recommend you continue to check www.visioneer-europe.com regularly for any updates that are posted.

I doubt that you can "install the drivers in XP mode" and make the scanner work.

Kind regards,

Avner

Sunday, February 11, 2007 6:41 PM
  • Cindy,

I was able to successfully install the old driver for a Visioneer 4400 scanner under Vista, using the XP SP2 compatibility mode.  Please give it a try.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 1:29 PM
  • Hello Cindy,

Unfortunately, our friends who claim to have installed their scanners "in XP mode" have not answered your simple question "Can you tell me how you did your install in XP mode?"

Kind regards.

groucho43

Friday, February 16, 2007 5:32 PM
  • Groucho - You could try searching.

• Click on Start, Run and paste in "mshta.exe res://acprgwiz.dll/compatmode.hta" without the quotes.  This will start the "Program Compatibility Wizard"
    • You can also
      • Click on Start, Help and Support
      • Type in "compatibility mode"
      • Click on "Start the Program Compatibility Wizard" from the results returned back
    • Then, just follow through.  When prompted for the program to run, select "I want to locate the program manually" and point to the driver setup file you want to execute
    • Enjoy
    Saturday, February 17, 2007 3:05 AM
  • I did manage to get my 7100 working in Vista.  I thrashed about so much first that I'm not sure which steps were essential.  Installing the old software from the disk worked, up to a point, when Vista said it found a driver, but failed to install it (or something like that).  I saw that it was looking for a file with the "inf" extension, and when I went to uninstall the Scansoft programs, using "custom" on the uninstall, I could see where it had put such files.  I left that directory alone (it was Windows\inf\i386 on my computer).  Here's the key trick, I think:  Vista won't install the scanner using the "Scanners and Cameras" portion of Control Panel, but when I went to Device Manager, I saw that it had "seen" that there was a USB scanner out there, but needed a driver.  I clicked on it and told it to reload a driver, and browsed to that directory I'd found earlier).  Bingo! 

It doesn't use the Visioneer software to scan -- you use the "Windows Photo Gallery" program and choose "File, Import from camera or Scanner..." 

Take heart, it can be done.  I'm not sure whether you need to try the "XP Compatibility Mode" thing or not -- I did, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

Monday, February 19, 2007 8:07 PM
  • Here is how I got my Visioneer 4400 USB to work on Vista RTM

1) Go to Visioneer web page to get the driver for my device.

http://www.visioneer-europe.com/support/4400.htm

2) Downloaded the driver executable

http://www.visioneer-europe.com/support/driverseu/42bit.exe

3) On your local machine right click on the 42bit.exe and select properties

4) Select compatibility tab

5) Select the run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

6) Privilege Level select the box "Run as Administrator"

7) Select OK or Apply.

8) Run the 42bit.exe and install the driver

I saw a pop up on the screen about some missing twain.dll error.  I just dismissed it.

9) Plug in scanner and driver should load correctly.

10) Go to Start -> All programs-> Windows  fax and scan application and test it out.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:59 AM
  • This actually works. Thanks a bunch, I tried compatibility mode on it once before but didn't run as administrator. That must have done the trick. Here I thought I would have to go buy another scanner.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:43 AM
  • The Drivers definitely work.  I upgraded from xp sp2 and the software as well as the drivers work.  I tried a clean install on another machine and the visioneer drivers didn't work.  Didn't try the techniques above, but I suspect they're accurate.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 1:27 AM
  • Awesome this worked for me & thank you very much.  I was going gray & crying at the same time.  Now I'm happy!

Appreciate it!

davcall wrote:

Here is how I got my Visioneer 4400 USB to work on Vista RTM

1) Go to Visioneer web page to get the driver for my device.

http://www.visioneer-europe.com/support/4400.htm

3) On your local machine right click on the 42bit.exe and select properties

4) Select compatibility tab

5) Select the run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

6) Privilege Level select the box "Run as Administrator"

7) Select OK or Apply.

8) Run the 42bit.exe and install the driver

I saw a pop up on the screen about some missing twain.dll error. I just dismissed it.

9) Plug in scanner and driver should load correctly.

10) Go to Start -> All programs-> Windows fax and scan application and test it out.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:49 AM
  •  

This solution worked for me and I am so appreciative of the advice given here. Thank you a million times
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:12 PM
  • It’s touching to witness a fellow user’s happiness and gratitude when his or her problem is solved. By now many Visioneer scanners seem to have their drivers already included in Windows Vista. The driver of my Visioneer 9450 USB scanner was installed automatically by Vista. It’s a great scanner, BTW, with an automatic document feeder (ADF) that lets you scan numerous pages one after another. With enough hard-disk storage space and patience, you can have a paperless office. Good luck, everyone.

Friday, July 27, 2007 12:15 AM
  • Thanks for the instructions...I was just getting ready to purchase a new scanner! Of all the software/hardware I use, only a couple of programs didn't work. Both of them have now been solved using the Compatibility wizard. Is it really that good, or have I just been lucky (:

Friday, August 24, 2007 10:58 PM
  • I have tried everything that was suggested in this forum with a new updated load of Vista and nothing worked.  I did come up with a sure fire solution.  Load the current Visioneer 7100 scanner driver on an XP machine.  O yes the driver from Visioneer contains a virus, so beware.  I use Avast and had to disable it to get it to download on the XP machine.  Slave the XP hard drive to your Vista machine with the scanner attached.  In device manager tell it to browse the computer for the driver.  Send it to the X:\windows\inf\386 folder and it will install and work perfectly with the Vista Scanner and Fax utility.  Scan your heart out  www.cygnuslabs.com

Monday, February 11, 2008 4:07 PM
  • There is no such thing as a the Vista Scanner and Fax utility: there is a Windows Fax and Scan program in Windows Vista. The fact that Avast! detected a virus in Visioneer's XP driver does not necessarily mean that it has a virus. It may well be a false positive. Finally, it may also be no accident that the Visioneer OneTouch 7100 USB scanner does not have a Visioneer driver that is compatible with Windows Vista while Visionner other scanners do. See http://support.visioneer.com/products/Tools/OS/vista.asp and

http://support.visioneer.com/products/home/EOL/7100/default.asp

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:46 PM
  • THANK YOU.  This approach works.
    Friday, May 02, 2008 7:56 PM
  •  Cygnus Labs wrote:

I have tried everything that was suggested in this forum with a new updated load of Vista and nothing worked.  I did come up with a sure fire solution.  Load the current Visioneer 7100 scanner driver on an XP machine.  O yes the driver from Visioneer contains a virus, so beware.  I use Avast and had to disable it to get it to download on the XP machine.  Slave the XP hard drive to your Vista machine with the scanner attached.  In device manager tell it to browse the computer for the driver.  Send it to the X:\windows\inf\386 folder and it will install and work perfectly with the Vista Scanner and Fax utility.  Scan your heart out  www.cygnuslabs.com

This methode worked perfectly for me and thanks,
    I am replying as the XP folder I had to used was X:\windows\inf\i386         Please noe the i386 not 386

Saturday, July 05, 2008 7:32 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by: "I downloaded the scanner package from the Visioneer web site and installed it on my Vista business in windows XP mode."

I have installed the software - but when I go to device manager I cannot find a scanner listed.

Help please.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Unfortunately, the Visioneer OneTouch 7100 is not supported in Windows Vista as it has no Vista drivers either from Visioneer or from Microsoft. Its Vista status is listed by Microsoft as Unknown. See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=One%20Touch%207100%2048Bit%201200x4800dpi%20USB%20PC&v=Visioneer&uid=71001DWU&pf=0&pi=0&s=visioneer%207100&os=32-bit

Installing software (including drivers) in Windows XP mode on Vista is done by opening the folder containing the software, right-clicking on the Setup file, clicking Properties, in the Properties window clicking the Compatibility tab, checking the little square next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", selecting "Windows XP (service Pack 2)" from the drop-down list (if it is not already displayed), clicking Apply and OK, then running the Setup file.

However, this is a workaround which may or may not work.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:45 PM
  • This worked perfectly for me thx!
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 2:33 AM
  • Compatibility mode install worked perfectly on a Visioneer 7100. I thought I would have to replace it. Just now learned about the compatabilty mode install.
    Thanks for the info.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:42 PM
  • I dont have the Windows Fax and Scanner application (Have Vista Home Premium edition). Is there alternate way to use the Visioneer 7100 scanner on Vista then?
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:58 PM
  • I have Windows Vista 64 bit OS.  This is what finally works:
    - Download the driver of a newer equivalent scanner (call this Driver1) that supports your OS (in my case I used 9420M.64 - the second part number on the 9420 list)
    - Download the driver for the 7100 scanner
    - Run the install for Driver1 (this will copy the driver files for the newer scanner, follow the instructions to install the device completely like you had the newer scanner)
    - May have to reboot
    - Run the install for the 7100 (this will copy the driver and install the software for the 7100)
    - Reboot in the end
    Note: 
    - When installing Driver1, it still installs the software OneTouch v4. You won't be able to connect to the scanner from there.
      That's why you are running the install for 7100. This is to get you the software OneTouch v3 that will connect to the 7100 scanner using the Driver1 driver.
    - I had stumbled through this so steps may not be precise.  But the concept is that you need two different installs.
    - If you have problem running installs or suspect that you have one on Vista, do the normal step and set the compatibility to XP for the 7100 exe.
    - Drivers are all from visioneer.com site.
    - You may not be able to see the device from say a picture editor that supports importing from a scanner. So just scan it first then mess with the image.
    - Yes you would be using the OneTouch v3 Monitor to scan. Your buttons on the scanner should work also.
    - After you have installed Driver1, the scanner manufacturer and model will appear on the select driver list with the newer scanner name (Visionneer > 9420M)
    - Make sure you follow the instructions on the website to install your scanner as an Image device on the Device mgr list and not Other devices.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 1:15 AM
  • I got the scanner to work with no problems on Windows 7. All I did was run the install using Windows XP SP3 compatibility. Then when I finished the install, I connected the printer to the USB port. Windows 7 device manager detected the scanner and installed the driver. After that, then I set the One Touch Monitor and One Touch Configure to run on Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. Then the One Touch Monitor was able to detect the scanner, just like in XP. Then I used the windows Fax and Scan program to scan the images. The One Touch monitor might not work properly, but at least Windows can talk to the scanner.

Thanks to Windows 7 you can still extend the life of the scanner. A wireless all-in-one would be great, but times are tough down south.

Hope this helps!!!
    • Proposed as answer by LeoLazcarez Friday, October 23, 2009 2:16 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:16 AM
  •  I have Windows 7 64 and the procedure proposed by M Sin more or less works (had to manually indentify my 7100 as a 9420 in the device manger), but im not really happy with the solution.  Id much rather do away with the one software and use photoshop etc for scanning.  For all of the people that are saying installing in compatibility mode works, was this 32bit or 64 bit?  Because I have not had the fortunate luck LeoLazcarez has had where the OS was actually able to identify the device. 
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:44 PM
  • > Here is how I got my Visioneer 4400 USB to work on Vista RTM

I've been a computer tech for about fifteen years now, so I can say with a certainty several things:

Running in compatibility mode does indeed make a difference - if the software that installs the drivers is designed for Windows XP - and XP only. Otherwise, if you had the extracted drivers you could just point the Hardware Wizard to that folder and not worry about running anything in compatibility mode. Unfortunately, the drivers as they exist at Visioneer's website do not come in a way that they could be extracted and save us all some grief.

I received an old 4400 from Freecycle, but first I googled to look for a way to install in Windows 7. Free is no good unless you know you can get it to work. Otherwise, it makes for an awfully cumbersome paperweight!

I, just now, successfully installed the 4400 onto my Windows 7 machine, by using davcall's directions. I didn't get one error message. Behold, a free scanner!

I was able to use Windows Paint to scan a photograph - and it worked like a dream.

Finally (and this one is for the person who dismissed and ridiculed the process, then later quoted it as a possible solution.):

Never dismiss an idea until you know for certain it won't work. Never.
    If there is one thing I've learned over the years, especially with computers, never assume anything. And you know what they say about assuming. ;-)
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:04 AM
  • I followed M Sin and LeoLazcarez .. It installed the drivers fine but now when I connect the scanner with the computer, it says "Unable to Connect with Scanner"...

Can someone help me out here?

Thank you.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 12:16 AM
  • GOT ONETOUCH 7100 RUNNING ON WINDOWS 7
    1) download driver (EXE file)
    2) right click properties (on driver file) then XP SP3 compatibility mode and also check run as ADMIN
    3)launch driver install (again should be EXE file). If you did it correctly windows 7 will flip the f$%# out and say ARE YOU SURE you want to install this ____! and click YES im sure!
    4) Make sure your Scanner is unplugged through entire process!
    5) Once installer finishes plug in scanner
    6) windows 7 will take an agonizing 3 minutes to install the driver (you will see the looping green thing on your taskbar)
    7) If you did everything right it should say successfully installed! :D :D :D WINRAR! AND now everything should go just dandy and even its original soft will work!

DBOSS HAS SPOKEN
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:28 PM
  • I have tried all of these steps and none worked

I am running windows 7 64 bit

I have the onetouch 7100 scanner

It shows up in device manager as "usb scanner"

I've tried to install using the drivers from the site as well as from the original CD

When it gets to the part where it tells you to plug the scanner it I receive a message stating "the drivers for this device cannot be found"

I have also tried to pull the drivers from my old PC and then tried to add them in device manager and get the same message

Does anyone else have any suggestions, I thought DBoss's steps would work since he has the same scanner, but didn't work for me

Thanks for reading
    Monday, December 14, 2009 11:58 PM
  • I have a Visioneer 4400 USB and am running windows 7 of course there are no drives... any ideas??

thanks
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Same exact problem here.  It's not working for me on Windows 7 64 bit...don't know what I'm doing wrong, I tried everything mentioned.  Wasted the last 4 hours uninstalling, reinstalling the drivers.  Even tried the newer scanner Vista drivers, to no avail.  I give up - time to hold onto my old pc I guess, or use my camera to photograph pieces of paper laying on the floor, instead of scanning them for now.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:42 PM
  • I was just able to make my new Windows 7 64 laptop work with my old Visioneer 7100 scanner!

Unfortunately, I was pounding at this for two days, so there's a chance one of the things I did and don't remember was significant. But here's the essense of it:
    1. Install the 7100.exe driver -- I did it from my original CD, but there are downloads out there. It's down at the bottom of the Scansoft directory tree.
    2. Plug in the scanner and find it in Device Manager as an unknown device USB Scanner. Update the driver, picking "Browse computer for driver" and then "Let me pick from a list".  Choose Imaging Devices, then Hamrick Software, then Visioneer 430. The scanner will then show up as a Visioneer 430 under Imaging Devices.
    3. Go to the setup.exe program in the Scansoft directory of the Visioneer disk, and set compatibility options to Win XP SP 3 and to run as an administrator.  Run the program.  That will install the original PaperPort program.

My scanner now shows up as a Twain32 device in IrfanView and acquires images properly.  The scan window that opens is labeled Visioneer Scan Manager Pro: Visioneer OneTouch 7100.

Unfortunately, I can not yet get Windows Fax and Scan to recognize the scanner. Maybe because it's 32-bit software.  I will continue to work on this.  But right now I'm a happy puppy, because I didn't feel like spending 100 bucks for a new flatbed scanner.
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 4:34 PM
  • I finally got my Visioneer 7100 scanner working in Windows 7 x64, too, but it was not through any of the previous methods.  I modified the driver INF file so that Windows 7 x64 would see it as being a valid 64-bit driver.  I actually installed the 7400 drivers just to see what the INF file contained that made those work for x64.

Here are the details on how you can make the 32-bit driver into a 64-bit driver:

1.  Install the Windows 2000/XP drivers, but do not connect the scanner (just click OK when it prompts you to connect the scanner).

2.  Open C:\windows\inf\i386\onetouch.inf (this should be where the driver installer put the files) in a text editor.

3.  In the [Manufacturer] section, add "NTamd64" to the next line:

[Manufacturer]
    %Mfg%=Models, NTamd64

4.  Just below the [Manufacturer] section there should be a [Models] section.  Copy and paste it before or after the existing [Models] section.

5.  Change one of the two [Models] sections to [Models.NTamd64]:

[Models.NTamd64]
    %OneTouch7XXX% = Viz.OTPro, USB\VID_04A7&PID_0229

6.  The driver file should look something like this:

START OF FILE EXCLUDED

[ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Manufacturer]
    %Mfg%=Models, NTamd64

[Models.NTamd64]

[Models]

[Viz.OTPro]
    Include=sti.inf
    Needs=STI.USBSection

END OF FILE EXCLUDED

7.  Save the modified onetouch.inf file (overwrite the old one - you can always reinstall the drivers and try again if it doesn't work).

8.  Plug in the scanner.  Windows 7 may say that it could not install the drivers (If it does install them, great! You should be done then.).

9.  Find the "USB Scanner" in Device Manager.  Right click on it and select "Update Driver Software...".  Select "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", then "Have Disk", then "Browse" to find the modified onetouch.inf file.

10.  Follow the prompts after that (say yes to install anyway if Windows says the drivers are not certified).  The scanner should be installed just like it used to work on XP (32-bit) using Twain drivers.

I have been able to scan in Photoshop via Twain (Visioneer Scan Manager Pro) and have not had any problems (I do not use Onetouch, so I did not test that, but I assume it works).  I take no responsibility if this fails in either a destructive or non-destructive way... Hope this helps!

TJ

PS - Unfortunately I could not get this process to work for my HP printer...

Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:56 PM
  • I have got the following scanner to work with Windows 7 64 bit should be the same for 32bit as well

Visioneer 7100, 8920, 9020, 9420

Grab the Visioneer 9420 32 bit drivers from the visoneer website. Run the file in compatibility mode. Windows XP Service Pack 2, and Admin rights. Run it all the way It will say plug in the scanner. Go ahead it won't install. Then right click on the computer link in the start button. Click on properties. Then click on the device manager tab on the left hand column. You should have a yallow triangle on imaging device or other. Right click on it and click update driver. Click browse my computer. Then click let me pick dthe river.Next click on imaging device then next. On the left hand column click Visioneer then right column click 9420. Click next then should be done. You can use the One Touch 4.0 to scan . You CAN"T scan into paperport but one touch buttons work to throw it into paper port. It scans in a MAX file but its easy to right click on the file and save as jpg if you want to change it. I have done this on 7 different computers and all has worked.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Thanks for HFSbFS's contribution. His method (modifing the inf file) also worked for me. My 7100 works with Win7 Professional just like XP SP3 now. It has also the same problem as XP when the system sleeps Windows cannot see the scanner until a restart. I also installed Papersoft form the original CD, it also funtions just like it did in XP.

Friday, June 11, 2010 4:24 PM
  • I have got the following scanner to work with Windows 7 64 bit should be the same for 32bit as well

Visioneer 7100, 8920, 9020, 9420

Grab the Visioneer 9420 32 bit drivers from the visoneer website. Run the file in compatibility mode. Windows XP Service Pack 2, and Admin rights. Run it all the way It will say plug in the scanner. Go ahead it won't install. Then right click on the computer link in the start button. Click on properties. Then click on the device manager tab on the left hand column. You should have a yallow triangle on imaging device or other. Right click on it and click update driver. Click browse my computer. Then click let me pick dthe river.Next click on imaging device then next. On the left hand column click Visioneer then right column click 9420. Click next then should be done. You can use the One Touch 4.0 to scan . You CAN"T scan into paperport but one touch buttons work to throw it into paper port. It scans in a MAX file but its easy to right click on the file and save as jpg if you want to change it. I have done this on 7 different computers and all has worked.

I modified these instructions as follows...

1. Run 9420/one touch vista installer

2. Use the driver file created by this installer
        [alternatively i believe you could use the driver on its own if you have it already, from a prior installation]

3. once scanner is installed, run the PROPER Visioneer/one touch installer [3.0] for your model in XP Compatibility Mode

4. I think this ought to be it!
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:08 PM
  • I finally got my Visioneer 7100 scanner working in Windows 7 x64, too, but it was not through any of the previous methods.  I modified the driver INF file so that Windows 7 x64 would see it as being a valid 64-bit driver.  I actually installed the 7400 drivers just to see what the INF file contained that made those work for x64.

Here are the details on how you can make the 32-bit driver into a 64-bit driver:

1.  Install the Windows 2000/XP drivers, but do not connect the scanner (just click OK when it prompts you to connect the scanner).

2.  Open C:\windows\inf\i386\onetouch.inf (this should be where the driver installer put the files) in a text editor.

[Manufacturer]
    %Mfg%=Models, NTamd64

4.  Just below the [Manufacturer] section there should be a [Models] section.  Copy and paste it before or after the existing [Models] section.

5.  Change one of the two [Models] sections to [Models.NTamd64]:

[Models.NTamd64]

6.  The driver file should look something like this:

START OF FILE EXCLUDED

[ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Manufacturer]
    %Mfg%=Models, NTamd64

[Models.NTamd64]

[Models]

[Viz.OTPro]
    Include=sti.inf
    Needs=STI.USBSection

END OF FILE EXCLUDED

7.  Save the modified onetouch.inf file (overwrite the old one - you can always reinstall the drivers and try again if it doesn't work).

8.  Plug in the scanner.  Windows 7 may say that it could not install the drivers (If it does install them, great! You should be done then.).

9.  Find the "USB Scanner" in Device Manager.  Right click on it and select "Update Driver Software...".  Select "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", then "Have Disk", then "Browse" to find the modified onetouch.inf file.

10.  Follow the prompts after that (say yes to install anyway if Windows says the drivers are not certified).  The scanner should be installed just like it used to work on XP (32-bit) using Twain drivers.

I have been able to scan in Photoshop via Twain (Visioneer Scan Manager Pro) and have not had any problems (I do not use Onetouch, so I did not test that, but I assume it works).  I take no responsibility if this fails in either a destructive or non-destructive way... Hope this helps!

TJ

PS - Unfortunately I could not get this process to work for my HP printer...

wow that worked for me!!!  

except mine was the visioneer 4400 usb (running windows 7 64bit) using the 4400 xp driver downloaded from visioneers site

windows "fax and scan" is not able to see or or use the scanner, but irfanview so far seems to work great.. able to preview, scan, change res and color modes

i really did not want to buy a new scanner when i only use it a few times a year :) so glad i found this thread!!

tks all!!

Monday, June 28, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Can any1 send me the revised--onetouch.inf to me lidongla1314@hotmail.com. i couldnt solve it. tks!
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:47 PM
    2) right click properties (on driver file) then XP SP3 compatibility mode and also check run as ADMIN
    3)launch driver install (again should be EXE file). If you did it correctly windows 7 will flip the f$%# out and say ARE YOU SURE you want to install this ____! and click YES im sure!
    4) Make sure your Scanner is unplugged through entire process!
    5) Once installer finishes plug in scanner
    6) windows 7 will take an agonizing 3 minutes to install the driver (you will see the looping green thing on your taskbar)
    7) If you did everything right it should say successfully installed! :D :D :D WINRAR! AND now everything should go just dandy and even its original soft will work!

DBOSS HAS SPOKEN

Thank you!  Got it to work based on this.  Make sure to disconnect scanner before installing.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:48 PM
    (etc.)
    DBOSS HAS SPOKEN

(For space reasons, I have edited the original scripts, though they can easily be found above.)

I have tried the above, as well as the following:

I finally got my Visioneer 7100 scanner working in Windows 7 x64, too, but it was not through any of the previous methods.  I modified the driver INF file so that Windows 7 x64 would see it as being a valid 64-bit driver.  I actually installed the 7400 drivers just to see what the INF file contained that made those work for x64.

[Manufacturer]
    %Mfg%=Models, NTamd64

(etc.)

I have followed both instructions exactly, but they still did not work on my new Windows 7 computer.

I really hate to get rid of my scanner and paying good money for a new one.

Any other suggestions?

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:48 AM

[ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Manufacturer]
    %Mfg%=Models, NTamd64

[Models.NTamd64]
    ;%G6.CCD.600.E5.2400U1% = Viz.OTPro, USB\VID_0461&PID_0346
    ;%G6.CCD.600.E5.2400U2% = Viz.OTPro, USB\VID_0461&PID_0347
    ;%G6.CCD.600.E5.2400U3% = Viz.OTPro, USB\VID_0461&PID_0363
    %G6.CCD.600.E5.2400U1% = Viz.OTPro, USB\VID_0461&PID_0346
    %G6.CCD.600.E5.2400U1% = Viz.OTPro, USB\VID_0461&PID_0347
    %G6.CCD.600.E5.2400U1% = Viz.OTPro, USB\VID_0461&PID_0363

[Models]

My scanner is Visioneer 4400. I just did it today and it worked. I have modified "onetouch.inf" per HFSbF5's instruction. Thanks HFSbF5! The bold part is what I have added.

• Proposed as answer by Tecky_1 Friday, April 22, 2011 11:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tecky_1 Friday, April 22, 2011 11:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Tecky_1 Friday, April 22, 2011 11:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tecky_1 Friday, April 22, 2011 11:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Full_screen57 Sunday, December 25, 2011 7:52 PM
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:33 AM
  •  

Subject: Visioneer 7100 scanner on Win 7 64 bit

I tried HFSb5 instructions too  and could not get them to work at first try.

I too downloaded the 7400 driver to study it.  His instructions were accurate except he forgot one critical instruction. 

You first install the 7100 driver in Windows XP compatibility mode and then make the changes as he instructed.  The entire file “onetouch.inf” is shown below.  

[Version]
    Signature="$CHICAGO$"
    Class=Image
    ClassGUID={6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}
    LayoutFile=Layout.inf, Layout1.inf, Layout2.inf
    Provider=%Msft%
    DriverVer=08/28/2001,3.0.0.0
    CatalogFile=vis7100.cat

[ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect=*

[SourceDisksNames]
    159="Visioneer PnP Drivers",,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
    vizmicro.dll=159,,
    viceo.dll=159,,
    Rtscan.dll=159,,
    Rtscan.ini=159,,

[DestinationDirs]
    DefaultDestDir=11               ; LDID_SYS that is, \windows\system
    CopyFiles.Sys32.NTX86=12 ; system32\drivers
    CopyFiles.Sys32.WIN=11
    CopyFiles.Wia.Win=10,twain_32\vizscan\7XXX

[ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Manufacturer]
    %Mfg%=Models, NTamd64

[Models.NTamd64]

[Viz.OTPro]
    Include=sti.inf
    Needs=STI.USBSection
    SubClass=StillImage
    DeviceType=1
    DeviceSubType=0x1
    ;Capabilities=1
    Capabilities=0x00000033
    ;Events=Viz.OneTouch.Events
    DeviceData=Viz.OTProDeviceData
    AddReg=Viz.OTProAddReg.NTX86
    CopyFiles=CopyFilesPro.Sys32.NTX86,CopyFiles.Wia.Win
    ICMProfiles="sRGB Color Space Profile.icm"

[Viz.OneTouch.Events]
    ;ButtonDown="%String7%",{3AF297A5-5599-11D2-B17D-0040052FC4F9},*

[Viz.OTProDeviceData]
    TwainDS="Visioneer Scan Manager Pro"
    Server=local
    MicroDriver="vizmicro.dll"
    UI DLL=sti.dll
    UI Class ID={4DB1AD10-3391-11D2-9A33-00C04FA36145}
    SpecialInfo="Visioneer Scanner for USB Interface"
    PollTimeout=0,1
    Resolutions="75, 100, 150, 200, 300, 600"

[Viz.OTPro.Services]
    ;AddService = pmxscan, 0x00000002, PmxScan.AddService
    Include=sti.inf
    Needs=STI.USBSection.Services

[Viz.OTProAddReg.NTX86]
    HKR,,DeviceType,1,1
    HKR,,HardwareConfig,1,4
    HKR,,DevLoader,,*NTKERN
    HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"usbscan.sys"
    HKR,,USDClass,,"{BB6CF8E2-1511-40bd-91BA-80D43C53064E}"
    HKCR,CLSID\{BB6CF8E2-1511-40bd-91BA-80D43C53064E},,,"Visioneer USD"
    HKCR,CLSID\{BB6CF8E2-1511-40bd-91BA-80D43C53064E}\InProcServer32,,,%11%\wiafbdrv.dll
    HKCR,CLSID\{BB6CF8E2-1511-40bd-91BA-80D43C53064E}\InProcServer32,ThreadingModel,,"Both"
    HKLM,SOFTWARE\Visioneer\OneTouch,"Twain Directory",,"%10%\twain_32\vizscan\7XXX"

[CopyFilesPro.Sys32.NTX86]
    wiafbdrv.dll
    vizMicro.dll

[CopyFiles.Wia.Win]
    viceo.dll
    rtscan.dll
    rtscan.ini

[Strings]
    Msft="Visioneer"
    Mfg="Visioneer Hardware"
    OneTouch7XXX = "Visioneer 7100 USB Scanner"
    String7="Button Press"
    pmxscan.SvcDesc= "Visioneer USB Kernel"

Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:06 AM
  • 6/15/2011  Wednesday.  I read somewhere on a forum such as this, that there was trouble activating Visioneer 7100 USB on operating system Windows XP.  This can be done with the original setup CD that comes with Visioneer 7100 USB, but you must start from the first, the top, and load Scansoft and Paperport and then the Scanner.  It will keep all of the Paperport files you have from before and also all of the Scansoft files and folders you have from before.   Oh yes, you must restart.  Best wishes.   C Yopst   compassion   Chicago.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hi Davcall,

You my friend are a rock star!  I just got a "new" machine with Vista (hand me down from a friend) and I was flailing on the scanner.  I had all but given up hope, then found your concise instructions.  They worked perfectly, thanks so much!  You saved me $$ and the world a good piece of hardware from the landfill.

Very nice, you did great!

Chuck in CO

Saturday, July 02, 2011 11:45 PM
  • I have a Visioneer 8920 USB scanner and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  Trying to follow HFSbF5's instructions above, I successfully completed steps 1-10, but after selecting the [newly modified] Visioneer OneTouch 8920 USB from the list of drivers, I got the error "The system cannot find the file specified."  See screen shot below.  What file was specified that it could not find?

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Hi:

I would like to try out your solution, however, your step#2 no longer has a valid link:

The above link now redirects to http://support.visioneer.com/UK .

What to do?
    Marci

Thursday, September 08, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Marci, go to http://support.visioneer.com/ and enter the numeric portion of your scanner's model number, select your product, then choose "Drivers and Manuals".  I hope this helps.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Rich,

I have a model 4400 and though it appears on their support page, they insist there is no Vista support, so I am unable to follow davcall's procedure.

Thanks anyway,
    Marci

Friday, September 09, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Marci, you missed the whole point of Davcall's procedure.  OF COURSE there are no Vista drivers on the Visioneer web site--if there were, you wouldn't need his procedure!  His procedure is to make the Windows XP drivers work under Windows Vista and Windows 7.  So go back to the Visioneer site and download the Windows XP drivers, then follow Davcall's instructions.
    Friday, September 09, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Rich,

Like I said, I tried to follow davcal's directions but

is no longer a valid link. My impression was this was a requirement so are you saying it may be replaced by something else? If so, please provide the equivalent link.

Thanks for your patience,
    Marci

Saturday, September 10, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Rich,

Like I said, I tried to follow davcal's directions but

is no longer a valid link. My impression was this was a requirement so are you saying it may be replaced by something else? If so, please provide the equivalent link.

Thanks for your patience,
    Marci

Marci, I did give the corrected link, two posts ago.  Here it is again:

http://support.visioneer.com/

- Rich

Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:00 AM
  • Rich,

Davcal's link points to an executable ("exe" file) whereas yours points to the Visioneer website (not an executable), so please forgive my confusion, but thanks for your support.

Marci

• Edited by Ms Marci Sunday, September 11, 2011 4:50 PM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Rich,

Davcal's link points to an executable ("exe" file) whereas yours points to the Visioneer website (not an executable), so please forgive my confusion, but thanks for your support.

Marci

Ms Marci, If you are wondering why Rich didn't reply, it was probably out of frustration. If you can't read and understand the clear instructions Rich provided, attempting to install these drivers may be a bit much.

Rich said "Marci, go to http://support.visioneer.com/ and enter the numeric portion of your scanner's model number, select your product, then choose "Drivers and Manuals"

If you were to do so it would take you to this pagehttp://support.visioneer.com/products/4400/downloads.asp 

Good Luck, Really

Sunday, October 16, 2011 5:10 AM
  • A gold star to anyone who can get the built-in Windows scanning going on x64. IrfanView is fine (though note that you may need to reboot after installing the driver so that IrfanView shows you the correct Twain source), but the other would be nice. I suspect it's simply because it's an x86 driver, since the very same ancient driver got along fine with Windows scan on Win7 x86.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:34 AM

[ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Manufacturer]
    %Mfg%=Models, NTamd64

[Models.NTamd64]

[Models]

My scanner is Visioneer 4400. I just did it today and it worked. I have modified "onetouch.inf" per HFSbF5's instruction. Thanks HFSbF5! The bold part is what I have added.

Thank you very much.  I just (2011-12-25) used this method to install my 4400 on 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I am able to scan into Adobe Acrobat using Scanner = "Scan Manager" (with settings Data Transfer Method = "Native Mode" and User Interface = " Show Scanner's Native Interface")
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 7:56 PM
  • This solution just worked for me with my Windows 7 (32 bit Upgrade).  I used the original Visioneer disk, explored to the setup file, right clicked and selected to install as Windows XP SP 2 and as administrator.. Worked like a charm! Thank you!!!
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Is the jig up for this trick as of Win8 Consumer Preview?  I upgraded from Win7 x64 to Win8 x64 and found my scanner now had a bang in Device Manager. So I tried upgrading the driver with what I used before, but it failed, saying "The hash for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering."  Looking that up, it corresponds to SPAPI_E_FILE_HASH_NOT_IN_CATALOG 0x800F024B. Hmmmm.

Update:

The catalog file (.CAT) for a given driver absolutely needs to be signed in Win8, which explains the above issue. There are two options: 1) Obtain a code-signing certificate from a 3rd-party and then use inf2cat to make a new .CAT and signtool to sign it with that certificate, or 2) Enable test-signing mode on your machine and then sign the new .CAT with a certificate that you generate yourself (additional tools required: makecrt and certmgr). Either method is pretty tedious, and in most cases, the first method isn't free.

• Edited by rseiler Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:32 PM
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:50 AM
  •  

Subject: Visioneer 7100 scanner on Win 7 64 bit

I tried HFSb5 instructions too  and could not get them to work at first try.

I too downloaded the 7400 driver to study it.  His instructions were accurate except he forgot one critical instruction. 

You first install the 7100 driver in Windows XP compatibility mode and then make the changes as he instructed.  The entire file “onetouch.inf” is shown below.  

[Version]
    Signature="$CHICAGO$"
    Class=Image
    ClassGUID={6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}
    LayoutFile=Layout.inf, Layout1.inf, Layout2.inf
    Provider=%Msft%
    DriverVer=08/28/2001,3.0.0.0
    CatalogFile=vis7100.cat

[ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect=*

[SourceDisksNames]
    159="Visioneer PnP Drivers",,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
    vizmicro.dll=159,,
    viceo.dll=159,,
    Rtscan.dll=159,,
    Rtscan.ini=159,,

[DestinationDirs]
    DefaultDestDir=11               ; LDID_SYS that is, \windows\system
    CopyFiles.Sys32.NTX86=12 ; system32\drivers
    CopyFiles.Sys32.WIN=11
    CopyFiles.Wia.Win=10,twain_32\vizscan\7XXX

[ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Manufacturer]
    %Mfg%=Models, NTamd64

[Models.NTamd64]

[Viz.OTPro]
    Include=sti.inf
    Needs=STI.USBSection
    SubClass=StillImage
    DeviceType=1
    DeviceSubType=0x1
    ;Capabilities=1
    Capabilities=0x00000033
    ;Events=Viz.OneTouch.Events
    DeviceData=Viz.OTProDeviceData
    AddReg=Viz.OTProAddReg.NTX86
    CopyFiles=CopyFilesPro.Sys32.NTX86,CopyFiles.Wia.Win
    ICMProfiles="sRGB Color Space Profile.icm"

[Viz.OneTouch.Events]
    ;ButtonDown="%String7%",{3AF297A5-5599-11D2-B17D-0040052FC4F9},*

[Viz.OTProDeviceData]
    TwainDS="Visioneer Scan Manager Pro"
    Server=local
    MicroDriver="vizmicro.dll"
    UI DLL=sti.dll
    UI Class ID={4DB1AD10-3391-11D2-9A33-00C04FA36145}
    SpecialInfo="Visioneer Scanner for USB Interface"
    PollTimeout=0,1
    Resolutions="75, 100, 150, 200, 300, 600"

[Viz.OTPro.Services]
    ;AddService = pmxscan, 0x00000002, PmxScan.AddService
    Include=sti.inf
    Needs=STI.USBSection.Services

[Viz.OTProAddReg.NTX86]
    HKR,,DeviceType,1,1
    HKR,,HardwareConfig,1,4
    HKR,,DevLoader,,*NTKERN
    HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"usbscan.sys"
    HKR,,USDClass,,"{BB6CF8E2-1511-40bd-91BA-80D43C53064E}"
    HKCR,CLSID\{BB6CF8E2-1511-40bd-91BA-80D43C53064E},,,"Visioneer USD"
    HKCR,CLSID\{BB6CF8E2-1511-40bd-91BA-80D43C53064E}\InProcServer32,,,%11%\wiafbdrv.dll
    HKCR,CLSID\{BB6CF8E2-1511-40bd-91BA-80D43C53064E}\InProcServer32,ThreadingModel,,"Both"
    HKLM,SOFTWARE\Visioneer\OneTouch,"Twain Directory",,"%10%\twain_32\vizscan\7XXX"

[CopyFilesPro.Sys32.NTX86]
    wiafbdrv.dll
    vizMicro.dll

[CopyFiles.Wia.Win]
    viceo.dll
    rtscan.dll
    rtscan.ini

[Strings]
    Msft="Visioneer"
    Mfg="Visioneer Hardware"
    OneTouch7XXX = "Visioneer 7100 USB Scanner"
    String7="Button Press"
    pmxscan.SvcDesc= "Visioneer USB Kernel"

I am hopeful that this will work for my Scanner, a Visioneer 7300. The compatibility-mode-run-as-administrator tack didn't work for me. I guess I should try substituting 7300 everywhere this file says 7100. This scanner isn't THAT old; I think it sucks that it is this much effort to get it to work.

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Holy crap! I know this is a LATE reply, but I just got my Visioneer 4400 scanner to work by copying in the bolded text above. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. Great idea! Where'd you come up with that?
    Monday, July 16, 2012 3:54 AM
  • Rykut, exactly what "bolded text above" did you copy and where did you put it?  It's been a long thread and I'm having trouble guessing what exactly you did to make your scanner work.
    Monday, July 16, 2012 4:57 AM
  • Rich, did you ever get your 8920 USB working outside of XP Mode?  I have mine working perfectly in XP mode, but it is a pain to open the virtual machine and select attach USB every time I want to scan something :-[
    Friday, August 10, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Mikey999,

No, I never got my 8920 USB working outside of XP mode.  Like yours, mine works perfectly in XP mode, and I agree that it's a pain to open the virtual machine and attach the USB each time I want to scan something.

The steps presented earlier in this thread purport to make it work in native Windows 7, but there has been some confusion about the details, and I was afraid of breaking my success in XP mode by trying them.  I decided that "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" and stopped experimenting.

- Rich

Saturday, August 11, 2012 12:59 AM
  • I was able to get my Visioneer 8920 to work under Windows 8 64bit, by additionally installing the 9450 drivers, and basically performing the steps listed in this thread below..no inf file editing required.  Basically you are telling the OS that the unknown device (your old 8920) is a 9450, and within your applications you can select the original Twain source provided from the 8920 software that you installed prior to installing the 9450 software.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/how-to-install-driver-for-visioneer-onetouch-8920/def9df60-adb0-4db9-a80f-b2e6208e11fd?tm=1355501712397

I believe this will only work with 32-bit applications, but it will still work if the 32-bit app runs fine, such as Irfanview.
    • Edited by jerry62 Saturday, December 22, 2012 4:20 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Rich I was able to solve your "The system cannot find the file specified." problem by making one additional modification to the inf file. In my inf file there is the following

[SourceDisksNames]
    159="Visioneer PnP Drivers",,,"C:\Windows\Inf\I386"

Change it to

[SourceDisksNames]
    159="Visioneer PnP Drivers",,,"I386"

Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:34 AM
  • Replying to a 6-year-old thread, but it worked for me with a fresh Windows 7 machine. Thanks. Tried other solutions, including one proposed by Visioneer to use a Xerox driver, but the Twain parts didn't work. I'm glad I can still use my trusty and yellowed 4400 until I buy a scanner with an automatic document feeder.
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:05 AM