none
Move/Recover Offscreen Window

Question

• Hello,
    I am running win7 rc 64bit build 7100 in Dual monitor mode. I have a problem finding/moving an applications window that has gone out of the viewing area. I am new to Vista/Win 7 interface and not familiar with how to move a window with the arrow keys as I do with XP by right clicking on the running application in the taskbar and selecting Move.

The application is Sony ebook reader. This happened when I had to remove one of the dual monitors for repair...upon returning it to the configuration, the ebook application starts, but the window is no where on either display. If I right click on the running application in the taskbar, there are no options to move.

Other then removing the application, prefs and reinstalling...is there a way to bring that window back to the active areas?

Thanks.
    • Edited by psc_tech Thursday, August 06, 2009 5:26 PM
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 2:49 PM

Answers

• Windows 7 has a cool new feature that should help.  Click the icon in the taskbar to ensure that the program has focus. Then hold down the Windows key and press the right-arrow a few times. That should move the window across your screens and eventually bring it back onto the screen that is still active.
    Dave Bishop
    Senior Technical Writer
    Windows Server Networking User Assistance
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 9:27 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 has a cool new feature that should help.  Click the icon in the taskbar to ensure that the program has focus. Then hold down the Windows key and press the right-arrow a few times. That should move the window across your screens and eventually bring it back onto the screen that is still active.
    Dave Bishop
    Senior Technical Writer
    Windows Server Networking User Assistance
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Perfect...Thank you Dave...that did it...and yes...cool feature too!
    • Proposed as answer by kuthodsapon Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:07 AM
    Friday, August 07, 2009 2:15 AM
  • That rules - thanks so much.

Friday, February 05, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Thanks! That solved my problem for Hamachi as well, I had a chat window on a second screen which I have to unplug to play games at full resolution (otherwise my monitor with the game flickers rapidly (20-30 times a second) between 1920x1080 and 1280x1024. Adding my projector makes it worse, so I have to unplug 2 of the 3)
    • Proposed as answer by jdbrau03 Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jdbrau03 Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:22 PM
    Monday, March 08, 2010 10:04 PM
  • I

am having this problem too but can't fix it this way. This only works for windows that can be maximized. Try it with windows calculator. It won't work in 7 but XP can do it just fine. There doesn't seam to be anything that works for moving programs with static window sizes that are off screen.:(

• Proposed as answer by if I could Monday, June 07, 2010 5:01 AM
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 12:43 AM
  • That worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:05 PM
  • I

am having this problem too but can't fix it this way. This only works for windows that can be maximized. Try it with windows calculator. It won't work in 7 but XP can do it just fine. There doesn't seam to be anything that works for moving programs with static window sizes that are off screen.:(

Oh shucks, didn't mean to propose this as the answer. Rather I wanted to post the answer. I don't see a method for recinding my action (I will have to research after posting).

*according to the FAQ, there should be an Unmark as the Answer option; however, it doesn't show for me.

The Windows XP functionality is still present, just not intuitive.

To "move" a window from offscreen, do the following:

1. Click the application in question on the task bar (needs to have focus and be in a restored state)
    2. Move your cursor above the task bar until the thumbnail image appears
    3. Right-click on the thumbnail image (you will be presented with the option menu, one of which is "Move")
    4. Select the "Move" option
    5. Left-click-hold on the desktop and drag the window into view

I came here looking for the answer, as well, and worked out the above method after verifying the other method didn't work on windows of fixed size.

Monday, June 07, 2010 5:12 AM
  • I have an application window with a fixed size and can't get to the bottom of the window (on my laptop) where there are controls/buttons I need to access. Windows 7 rather irritatingly moves the window title bar back down every time I drag it up - Can anyone tell me how to turn this feature(!) of Windows 7 off.

Many thanks

Monday, August 02, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Hi ssyss - did you ever find a solution to your problem?  I'm having the same issue right now.  I want to move a part of my window (the top part with the menus, etc) to be off-screen, but Win 7 always repositions the window on-screen.  Anybody know how I could temporarily disable this feature in Win7?  I'm using the default theme.

cheers,

D.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:05 PM
  • I'm not sure if it still works, but occasionally Windows used to get certain applications "stuck" on a certain screen, or in a certain place on the screen or in a certain status (e.g. Maximized/Minimized). It's been a while since I've used it, but back then if you did the following it would re-set the registry (or wherever it stores it) on where it should open next time.

1. Open the application that is "stuck".
    2. Set the application to how you really want it to open.
      • Move it where you really want it to open.
      • Set it to the mode you want it to open in (e.g. Maximized/Minimized).
    3. Hold down the SHIFT key while clicking the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the application's window.

Again, I'm not sure if it still works and I don't have any windows stuck at the moment to test it, but it's worth a try. Especially since that is SOOO irritating! :)

Nathon Dalton
    Software Developer
    Systems Administrator
    Network Administrator
    Blog: http://nathondalton.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by kuthodsapon Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:08 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:49 PM
  • Hi Damson74,

Not only does Win 7 reposition it, or rather automatically centers any minimized window I try to drag parially off screen, it maximizes it at the same time. WTF!?!?! This means I cannot work on two windows side by side at the same time. I don't think the others are providing fixes for this problem. I could be wrong, but I never had to do any of those things in XP Pro or Vista Premium. These allowed me to drag any window off screen without having to jump through hoops first. Win 7 sucks!!!!! I'm ready for a mac

• Proposed as answer by kuthodsapon Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:08 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kuthodsapon Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:10 AM
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 11:28 PM
  • 2 years later and your still being awesome!

Thanks Dave!
    • Proposed as answer by kuthodsapon Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kuthodsapon Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Another FAIL in win7.

Take a "OneClick" activity from Win2k/WinXP and make it so complicated that it only works half the time, and in all cases takes more than 3 clicks...

Nice.

FAIL.

• Proposed as answer by kuthodsapon Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Only if you drag the cursor to the edge.  Pay attention to what you're doing.
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Thanks for this answer! Unfortunately, though, I already tried this with Winamp to no avail. Perhaps, it needs to be run in XP mode? It's supposed to be written for Win7, though. :/
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:26 AM
  • Thanks. Holding the shift key gave me the old menu. Winamp still wouldn't show up until I shift-right-clicked, clicked the Winamp option in the menu, then unchecked the playlist editor and checked playlist editor again. Finally, Winamp came back for me.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:04 AM
  • How about right click on icon in the taskbar with an option that says "Display on primary display". That would be really cool and would save me having to search on the Internet for 40 minutes looking for obscure blogs which tell me how Microsoft Windows works. I mean who even uses the Windows key?

Or better still, and this is really radical. If the operating system detects that a display is inactive, that it puts any windows which are on that display onto the primary display.That would be really cool too.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Perfect!  thanks!!
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:04 PM
  • How about just using Shift+Win+Up/Down/Left/Right arrow keys to move the app from monitor to monitor.  Win+Arrow will engage the 1/2 screen snap feature.
    • Proposed as answer by GeekyGurl Saturday, November 02, 2013 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:49 PM
  • I know I arrive kinda late but I have another question about this.

What if a program opens new windows and you were working on a secondary display and when you plug that one out only the primary window returns but the program leaves all the other ones in the -now gone- secondary display?

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:42 PM
  • I think the trick still works for a window that goes to a nonexistent monitor.
    Friday, December 16, 2011 9:56 PM
  • How about just using Shift+Win+Up/Down/Left/Right arrow keys to move the app from monitor to monitor.  Win+Arrow will engage the 1/2 screen snap feature.

I've tried all the other suggestions in this post but this is the only one that worked for me on my Win7 system.  Thank you!!!!
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:08 AM
  • Here is another potential solution for you.

1. Hold SHIFT and right click on the program in your task bar to bring up the old menu.

2. Click on move.

3. Move your mouse around the screen. You should see a cursor with four direction arrows on it.

4. Press Arrow UP. ;D

Enjoy.

• Proposed as answer by Haleabus Monday, January 09, 2012 3:30 AM
    Monday, January 09, 2012 3:30 AM
  • This works, particularly even over remote desktop.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Winamp is stuck off screen. none of this proposed solutions have helped. The move cursor gets stuck in the corner, i can't reach the top of Winamp at all. 
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:04 AM
  • I have a problem with the MS Access Find window appearing partially off-screen.  I am running multiple monitors, and the monitor that I use to show Visual Basic is of a lower resolution than the other two monitors.  The Visual Basic window is running maximized.  When I open a Find dialog box, the top half of the dialog box is above the top of the screen, so I have no way of dragging it to where it needs to go.

Win + arrow keys has no effect.

There is nothing on the task bar to represent the Find window.

The only workaround I have is to Restore Down, reopen the Find Dialog box, then do my search.

The dialog box "wants" to always open so that the center of the find dialog box is the same point as the center of the top of the visual basic window when this window is maximized.  When the window is not maximized, the find dialog box wants to center itself slightly above the center of whatever monitor the main window is on (mostly).  

Moving the dialog box, then closing and opening it results in the dialog box opening right back where it was, even if I shift-click to close it.

I am wondering if my nVidia settings is positioning these windows somehow...  I will post a reply about that after I test it a little.

Screenshot:

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:48 PM
  • My version of the nVidia control panel does not have any options for positioning pop-ups.  I thought I saw an option somewhere on this computer, maybe something Microsoft built in, that has some sort of pop-up window manipulation, but I cannot find it.
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Here are some instructions to move an off-screen dialog box back onto the screen, but it does not resolve my issue, as every time I open the dialog box, it is still off-screen partially.

http://seraph3d.blogspot.com/2009/04/lost-your-dialog-box-off-screen.html

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Windows 7 "window-out-of-screen" solution.

If you want to "restore" a window where the Maximise/Restore button is deactivated all you need to do is press your "Show Desktop" button 2 times. You'll find it down in the lover right corner (normaly) beside your clock. What might allso work I would presume is to press WinKey + D 2 times. The WinKey + D is the shortcut key for "Show Desktop".

And as described down in your lower right corner of your screen you should have a small narrow button that looks something like that.

It fixed my problem so I hope it will fix yours as well :D

Even Though You Fall, That Flesh Shall Be Made A New!

• Edited by LawaBoy Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ctcurry Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:17 AM
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:23 PM
  • This saved me, too, just now -- thanks!
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:57 AM
  • To be able to move a windows over the top you have to deactivate an option: in control panel/ease of access/ease of access center/change how your mouse works, then check:

"Prevent Windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen"

To summarize the rest, there isn't a way to make secondary windows (not linked in the taskbar) display on one other place, but....

- You can move the active window with Alt+ space, then "move", can move with arrows and left arrow brings the window under the mouse control.

- With pressing shift + the red x, to close the windows, this windows will reopen positioned as last time.

-Win+arrows displays windows on the left/right/middle.

-Win+shift+arrows makes the window go to the other display

-By holding shift and right click on the active program in your taskbar you get the old menu. Can move the window and change the display where it's shown. Works only for the primary windows of a program.

• Proposed as answer by MrQblets Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:08 PM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Finally a real answer.  Thank you very much
    Friday, March 23, 2012 1:49 AM
  • This is the only thing that worked for me on Windows 2008 Server Datacenter edition over RDP (remote desktop). I found that I did not have to hold the shift key. Simply right click --> Move then hit up arrow and your window will appear attached to your mouse pointer. Click and it'll place it on your desktop in view.
    Saturday, April 07, 2012 3:39 AM
  • You rock socks!
    Monday, April 09, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Please let me know if you solved this.  I have the exact same issue.  I am using dual monitors on an ASUS laptop, which display utilizes the nVidia control panel.

jhumphrey79@hotmail.com

John Humphrey

Friday, April 13, 2012 8:10 PM
  • THANK YOU DAVE for providing this hidden treasure. I can't begin to tell you what a relief this is for me.

My Scenario: I also have a TiVo HD in my ManCave and naturally use my largest, most beautiful monitor for watching the TiVo via the HDMI port. (Bear with me here, there's a very relative solution-specific point in this that I know many other users are sure to find applicable to their setup as well). As this monitor has all three, VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI inputs, it serves as either the primary or extended desktop with at least two of my other machines as well, most of the time. It has been very frustrating to not feel the relaxed spontaneity of just flipping to the HDMI input to begin watching my TiVo while I continue working on my computers without ---all-to-often--- having to interrupt my viewing for long enough to pause, switchover to the applicable machine for long enough to temporarily drag a newly opened window back over onto the other monitor, then switch back to the TiVo to resume that great golf shot or point I was just into.

ALSO ... Although LogMeIn includes the multiple monitor switching button at the top of the session window, this will still be a novel little option to have in my arsenal of tricks during remote computing sessions because of the way that each button press makes great utilization of the 'Snap' feature of W7. This is not so easily accomplished from within a remote session window as the mouse doesn't stop at the edge of the viewable window area of the distant-end machine's that you're controlling, but instead just falls into the inactive, currently unused dark space of your local machine. It takes some real finesse so be able to 'Snap' a window during a remote-control session. Never again!

I'm certain there are many other killer uses for this great new feature and I'm lookin' forward to learning them all ...

Thanks again!

• Edited by MrQblets Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:32 PM
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Great..thanks Dave. This worked perfectly for me. Cool feature.
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Thanks, Haleabus, that's what worked for me on Win7, though in an unexpected way. I had a non-re-sizable app window that opened with it's top window bar off the top of the screen, so I couldn't drag it. None of the other re-positioning methods posted here worked. Shift/right click brought up the old menu style that has the Move option. When I clicked Move, however, not only did I get the 4 arrow cursor, but also the window was re-positioned to the upper right of my secondary monitor. At least the top bar was exposed and I could drag the window down to where I wanted it! Go figure.
    • Proposed as answer by martianzrus Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:37 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by martianzrus Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:38 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Thanks Dave - you just saved my morning.  Very useful tip

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:32 AM
  • off-screen apps - Front And Center
    http://weblogs.asp.net/kdente/archive/2008/11/21/new-utility-for-dealing-with-off-screen-apps-front-and-center.aspx

the best solution, this app is great! works for WinSeven

_J

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Try the above but choose "restore"!
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:04 AM
  • This does not work with the Calculator (in Accessories).  Or the Sniping Tool when it first opens up in Snip mode.  More than likely it doesn't work with other things as well.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:02 AM
  • Dave, you're a legend! That's an awesome feature that will be used a million times
    Saturday, December 01, 2012 12:58 AM
  • Dave, you rock.. I have been going nuts for 30 mins and your answer fixed my problem!
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:37 AM
  • I had a similar problem, for which none of the fixes suggested here worked. A "Remote Desktop Connection" dialog was created on my primary monitor with only the very bottom edges of the "Connect Cancel Help and Options" visible. I discovered I could click "Options" and get access to the logon settings, and I suppose I could have used TAB to access the other dialog panes, but not really an acceptable workaround. It's not a maximisable window, and I couldn't get the Windows-Shift-Arrow trick to work.

I tried a using a utility called WinExplorer to reset the window position. Maybe it hasn't been updated for Windows 7 because it didn't work.

What DID work, and is obvious when you think about it, I opened the screen resolution dialog and repositioned the logical location of my second monitor to "catch" the hidden top of the dialog box. Sure enough it appeared on the repositioned second monitor, I was then able to move the window into the centre of the display, and restore the relative positions of the monitors. A bit cumbersome!

It would be nice to get a "Find" option on the right click, or shift right click menu that would (say) always move the window so the control bar is visible on the primary monitor.

• Proposed as answer by kuthodsapon Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:11 AM
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 12:04 AM
  • the only thing that worked for me!
    Monday, July 15, 2013 7:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by kuthodsapon Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:11 AM
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:36 PM
  • That did help!
    Unfortunately, Microsoft got rid of the standard/discoverable feature of right clicking on the taskbar entry and selecting MOVE from a standard location.

Also, Windows 7 likes to make the taskbar stay on top in error a huge percentage of the time when it should be hiding away, which made me search the internet for a basic feature that worked just fine in windows 95 and 98, and XP
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:02 AM
  • Only thing that worked for me was to bring up the Task Manager ,and choose your app in Applications, and right-click, choose Bring to Front.
    Friday, August 02, 2013 5:02 PM
  • idts
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:29 AM
  • I've been having this same freakin problem. If I forget to move a window back to my laptop screen, the next time i open the application, it opens on a screen that NO LONGER EXISTS!!!!!  What a damn pain in the *****.  And the recommended fix is to go through all kinds of bs.  In WinXP i used to focus the application on the taskbar, alt-space m, and use the arrow key to move it to the current screen. 

This is 2013 and Windows 7 has been out for how long?? really shittty. Now, i've got to plug the laptop to external display, open the program, move it to laptop screen, disconnect the monitor, bla bla bla bla bla.

On my MacBook Pro, i just unplug the cable and close it lid.  DONE!!  It KNOWS THE MONITOR IS NOT THERE MORE!!!!!!!!

Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:42 AM
  • This just happened to me, and none of the suggestions in this thread worked... However, in messing around with it, I fixed it for myself. 

• With the application active, hold windows key and press right arrow. This forces the application to be on half the screen.
    • Select one of the corners of the window to resize and make the height and width smaller.

After doing this, the window was back on the screen and very small. I just sized it how I wanted.

Monday, October 21, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Thank you! GREAT answer! Really helped me out today.
    Monday, October 28, 2013 2:37 PM
  • When the Window is a fixed size, the other methods do not work.  Right clicking the window when Aero Peek displays it does not work, the Aero Peek disappears.  This method worked for me, thank you Soulenko!
    Saturday, November 02, 2013 2:00 AM
  • Tried both these methods; neither workd.  Program in question is WriteMonkey, and after I changed Dual monitor arrangements when the application was closed.  Its trying to open in its remembered last open coordinates, whereever that is.      

Going to reformat this box and go back to Widnows XP; already done it on several other boxes and XP x32  is SOOOO much blazing faster than bloated Windows x64, on machines with under 4gbs of RAM.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:01 PM
  • January 6th 2014, this was the only solution after tried all of the above, my hidden window was Epson scan.

Thanks a lot.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 1:40 AM
  • ahh nice thx
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:16 PM
  • 2 years later and  Alt+ Space saved the day for me!!!  MrQblets - you Rock!
    Friday, March 07, 2014 9:35 PM
  • Thanks so much! I have 2 monitors at my office desk at work.

However, I work remotely using Remote Desktop.

At home, I only have one monitor. One of my programs called PowerOn Studio (used for credit union software) will not show up on my main/home monitor if I've been running it in the office on my non-primary screen.

The trick above worked great! Thanks

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Maybe Microsoft could make the window not appear off screen instead of adding "cool" "new" "features" to cover bad user interface design.
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:44 PM
  • This new feature is counter intuitive and harder to use than the old "move" functionality.  I can understand trying to make things better, but how does MS expect people to guess to do this?  We have to hope someone posts a solution on a website in order to be able to use the new OS?  And we have to use the new OS (or switch to Mac) because they force us to give up WinXP

Why not keep the old functionality as well, I don't see how the "move" command was hurting anything.

• Edited by nobody __ Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:24 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Okay, here's what worked for me after a lot of trial and error.
    I'm on Win 8 btw.

Hover over the application's icon on the taskbar and wait until the preview appears.
    Then hover over the preview video/image and right click -> Move.
    Then just press the left or right arrow (if you don't know where it is just press the left arrow) until you see it back on screen.
    Saturday, April 26, 2014 7:32 PM
  • It's been a long time since you posted this, but this saved my day; thanks a lot! I love you
    Wednesday, May 07, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Just wanted to think you for enlightening me to one of the best windows key features.
    Tuesday, June 03, 2014 6:51 PM