none
Media Center hangs while burning DVD

Question

• I recorded a 50 minute long TV programme that plays fine in 64bit Windows 7 Media Centre, including subtitles. But if I try to burn it using the DVD burning facility of Media Centre the operation hangs at about 25%. Other software installed in the system can burn DVDs without problems but it's a pain because I need to convert the recording from WTV to DVR-MS and then to MPEG2. Any trouble-shooting suggestion? The software doesn't throw any visible error....
    Also another question related to the production of DVDs within Media Centre: I understand one of the advantages of WTV format is the handling of subtitles. How are subtitles treated when the DVD is produced? Will they be included in the DVD? I can't find any option? (I can't test it myself because as I said it hangs halfway through!)
    Thanks.
    • Edited by UtenteAnonimo Monday, June 08, 2009 10:55 PM spelling
    Monday, June 08, 2009 10:53 PM

All replies

• I finally managed to burn a TV programme to DVD using Media Center but it didn't make any use of the subtitles. I also tried to use the .WTV file in Live Movie Maker but again no options for subtitles.
    So it seems that subtitles in the WTV format are only used in playback but can't be used for anything else. Any plans to implement subtitles management in the Media Center DVD burning sotfware?

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:02 AM
  • UtenteAnonimo,

.srt formart software subtitles are not supported in Windows DVD Maker, as the program is designed mainly with ease of use in mind, and to the best of my knowledge there are no plans to include support for them in the future. You will need to use third-party DVD creation software for this.
    -Alex
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for your reply but the point was not really about .srt subtitles. When I record from TV subtitles are embedded in the WTV file (I think) and optionally displayed when the WTV file is played back in Media Center.
    I can think of only two options to burn DVDs directly from WTV format and they are Media Center and Live Movie Maker. Using any other software will imply a conversion to DVR-MS therefore losing the subtitles.
    So if I am right at the moment there is no way to burn recorded programmes to DVDs with subtitles...
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:02 PM
  • I Having the same problem with showing subtitles on a burn DVDs and I´ve tried a lot of different programs and codex but nothing works... It is very annoying not being able to burn you favorite TV show with subtitles  
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:02 AM