none
how change boot drive to another drive with Windows 7 system image, and then change system image to be the new C:\ drive ?

Question

• I made a backup of my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit operatings system and personal files and folders that was on a 700GB C:\ hard disk drive to a 700GB D:\ hard disk drive using DriveImage XML. Then I used DriveImage XML to restore the D:\ image to a 1.5 TB E:\ hard disk drive. How to I change the boot volume to the E:\ drive, and rename the E:\ to C:\, and change the old C:\ to say H:\ ? Ultimately, I want to be able boot from the new C:\ drive that used to be the E:\, just as I did with the original C:\ drive.

Friday, October 29, 2010 11:39 AM

All replies

• I changed the drive letter E:\ of the backup hard disk drive to C:\ as follows. (1.) Use DriveImage XML to create a system image of the original 700GB C:\ drive, placing the image on E:\. (2.) Disconnect the SATA cable on the 700GB drive after power-down. (3.) Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the DVD-RW drive, and reboot the PC to the DVD. Choose language options and select Repair Disk. With the original C:\ drive missing, the boot dvd will find the system image on the E:\ drive and associate this image with the new C:\ drive. (4.) Power-down the computer and reconnect the original C:\ drive, to which the newly running Windows 7 installation will assign a different drive letter.Click Start > Search box: type "diskmgmt.msc" to run the Disk Manager, in order to reassign drive letter to, repartition and reformat the original C:\ drive which now shows up as the different drive letter.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 3:21 PM