none
Customizing LT deployment to specify OU location

Question

• Hi, I really need someone to help me with this.  I've been racking my brain
    on this and I'm at my rope's end.

I am deploying Vista using MDT 2008 with LiteTouch.  During the deployment process I need to be able to add my client into particular OU's.  I'm trying
    to customize the menu so that I can specify which OU container I want my new machine to be added to.  I know the LT menu already has a field to specify this but I can't seem to make it work.  I have no problem adding the account to the domain during the Lite Touch wizard but when I try to specify the OU, it's not added?!?!?!

I came across this in another forum showing you how to modify the DeployWiz_Definition_ENU.xml file to replace the OU text box with a drop
    down list but I'm not able to make this work as well.  I'm not versed in scripting and limited programing skills so this is a real challenge for me
    making head and tail of this.  The following is what was suggested and I think I followed it to the t.  This modifies the text box but it doesn't add my client into the OU in my domain.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Open the file DeployWiz_Definition.ENU in a text editor. Find the following
    statement (I've added line breaks for readability):
    <input type=text id=MachineObjectOU name=MachineObjectOU style="width:
    75%;"
    language=vbscript onpropertychange=ValidateDomainMembership
    accesskey=O>

This statement creates the text box. We want to replace it with a select
    list, but still retain the script functionality.
    <select id="MachineObjectOU" name="MachineObjectOU" style="width: 75%;"
    language=vbscript onpropertychange=ValidateDomainMembership
    accesskey=O>
    <option value="...">...</option>
    </select>

Add the <option> statement(s) to reflect the desired OU's:
    <option value="OU=Vista,DC=mydomain,DC=org">Vista OU</option>
    <option value="OU=Computers,OU=Offices,DC=mydomain,DC=org" >Computer
    OU</option>
    etc...
    ----------------------------------------------------

What am I missing?  If someone can assist in anyway...

Thanks,
    Wil
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:16 PM

Answers

• Hello I would suggest you to do a search for DomainOUList.xml This seems to be what you might search for. I´m not sure if this is already existing in MDT 2008, because I am using this feature in MDT 2010.

In short:
    Create this file under .\control\DomainOUList.xml

Use this as content

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <DomainOUs>
    <DomainOU>OU=Restricted,OU=Managed Desktop,DC=domain,DC=local</DomainOU>
    <DomainOU>OU=Unrestricted,OU=Managed Desktop,DC=domain,DC=local</DomainOU>
    </DomainOUs>

This worked for me with MDT 2010. There are also references, that you could also specify the domain in path-style, but I didn't verify it since the above approach worked.

Regards
    Mario
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

I am afraid that this issue closely related to scripting or coding. I suggest discussing it in our MSDN forum. They are the best resource to troubleshoot scripting and coding issues.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, September 25, 2009 7:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Wil,

have look in the following entries by Ben Hunter for BDD 2007 -How to ensure the computer is in the correct OU

Link: http://blogs.technet.com/benhunter/archive/2007/10/07/bdd-2007-how-to-ensure-the-computer-is-in-the-correct-ou.aspx

Hope it helps

Rakesh
    Rakesh Sahoo
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Rakesh, thanks for your reply. 

I've looked at that entry before and it doesn't seem to apply to what I want to do. 

I am trying to standardize our deployment process for our techs.  I would like to use the Lite Touch deployment wizard for this, have them initiate the Lite Touch deployment wizard, select a build (task sequence), enter computer name, input the domain, and then select the appropriate OU to add the computer to (in the field where you can specify the OU).  I am using different OU's with different GPO's to control my environment.  I have an imbedded OU structure.  Currently, I have a parent OU named Managed Desktop, with 2 children OU named Restricted and Unrestricted.  I would like the techs to have the option of selecting the OU to place the account into.  Ideally, I would use the modification I listed before to change the text box provided in the Lite Touch wizard for specifying OU to a drop down box so that the techs don't have to worry about typing it in.

I have no problem just adding the computer to the domain through the wizard, but run into problem when I try to direct it to the specific OU.  I've tried just typing in my OU that I want but that didn't work.  I've tried typing the full path (ou=restricted, ou=managed desktop, dc=mydomain, dc=org) and that didn't work.  I've tried the code I mentioned before and that gave me the drop down with the appropriate choices but it didn't add my account.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
    -W
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Hi,

I am afraid that this issue closely related to scripting or coding. I suggest discussing it in our MSDN forum. They are the best resource to troubleshoot scripting and coding issues.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, September 25, 2009 7:33 AM
  • Hello I would suggest you to do a search for DomainOUList.xml This seems to be what you might search for. I´m not sure if this is already existing in MDT 2008, because I am using this feature in MDT 2010.

In short:
    Create this file under .\control\DomainOUList.xml

Use this as content

<DomainOUs>
    <DomainOU>OU=Restricted,OU=Managed Desktop,DC=domain,DC=local</DomainOU>
    <DomainOU>OU=Unrestricted,OU=Managed Desktop,DC=domain,DC=local</DomainOU>
    </DomainOUs>

This worked for me with MDT 2010. There are also references, that you could also specify the domain in path-style, but I didn't verify it since the above approach worked.

Regards
    Mario
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Do you known why I'm not able to get my OU drop list during Join to Domain step, if I added the DomainOUList.xml in Control folder ?

The OU field still blank and I need to let it blank (or fill it to specif an OU)... I'm using MDT 2010 Update 1.

The content of my cs.ini is:

[Settings]

Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    SkipTaskSequence=YES
    TaskSequenceID=WIN7SP1-01
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=NO
    JoinDomain=mydomain.ca
    DomainAdmin=myuser
    DomainAdminDomain=mydomain
    DomainAdminPassword=mypassword****
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipComputerName=NO
    KeyboardLocale=0c0c:00001009
    UserLocale=fr-CA
    UILanguage=fr-FR
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    UserDataLocation=NONE
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES

--------------------

And the DomainOUList.xml is:

<DomainOUs>
    <DomainOU>OU=Stations de travail,OU=2-Équipements,DC=mydomain,DC=ca</DomainOU>
    <DomainOU>OU=Portable,OU=2-Équipements,DC=mydomain,DC=ca</DomainOU>
    </DomainOUs>

• Edited by ggbce Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:10 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Hi everyone... Ok I found my problem !

They was not displayed because the string containt special characters, then I modified:

< DomainOUs>
    < DomainOU>OU=Stations de travail,OU=2-Équipements,DC=mydomain,DC=ca</DomainOU>
    < DomainOU>OU=Portable,OU=2-Équipements,DC=mydomain,DC=ca</DomainOU>
    < /DomainOUs>

for

< DomainOUs>
    < DomainOU>OU=Stations de travail,OU=2-Equipements,DC=mydomain,DC=ca</DomainOU>
    < DomainOU>OU=Portable,OU=2-Equipements,DC=mydomain,DC=ca</DomainOU>
    < /DomainOUs>

Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:37 PM