none
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S

Question

• This is the item included in my Toshiba Laptop.  It came with windows XP installed and I updated by express update to Windows Vista.

When I put a CD into the drive it either says it is a blank cd or it does not read it at all.  Spins the disk and then stops.

I tried going into my redegit file but my computer can't find it.  Like it doesn't exist.  I'm going crazy.  I even deleted all programs that I have added that might have a connection to the cd/dvd rw/player.  It still doesn't work.

Please help.  I'm ready to through my laptop out the closest window..

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Linda,

Please open "Control Panel" and select "Device Manager" to check whether the DVD-RAM is included in the list.

If not, please right-click the "DVD-CD drivers" and select "Scan for hardware changes".

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, March 31, 2008 8:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Linda,

Please open "Control Panel" and select "Device Manager" to check whether the DVD-RAM is included in the list.

If not, please right-click the "DVD-CD drivers" and select "Scan for hardware changes".

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, March 31, 2008 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, April 03, 2008 2:23 AM
  •  

Hi I also have a similar problem to linda's (however i have not installed vista i still run on XP), I also have a toshiba laptop. My CD/DVD drive has stopped working. when I try to run software, using a disc, it does not seem to be detecting the disc, it will half heartedly spin a couple of times then give up! I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my driver and also installing updates but nothing seems to have cured the issue. this problem started a few months back, in possibly December when the Drive was temperamental sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldnt, with no preference to with form of disc (ie dvd, cd rom). I have used the toshiba device diagnostics programme which tells me that the device has failed the diagnostics test but the drives properties tell me that it is working properly! The problem has me bamboozled and I was wondering if you could help.

Many thanks in advance!

• Proposed as answer by sidhusir Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by sidhusir Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:53 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:09 PM
  • I too have a Toshiba laptop running XP (SP2) and have had similar problems with my Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S drive. I first noticed problems a few months ago. I thought they were bad disks. However, now it refuses to read or write anything, yet the drive's properties tell me it's working just fine.

The driver version for this device is: 5.1.2535.0 dated 7/1/2001. I've tried to update the driver, but have been unable to find newer versions.

Anyhelp would be GREATLY appreciated!!
    Monday, April 28, 2008 12:09 AM
  • I also have the same problem with a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S drive in a Toshiba Equium laptop - now running Vista.  Started off being intermitent, now does not recognise any discs.  The driver is correctly installed and claims to be working.  Any ideas please??

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Eric,

Please don't close this thread, I think a lot of people are having this problem and you didn't finish the solution.

My Matshita dvd is on the device manager list with the error "Windows cannot load driver (Code 39)"

What do we do next?

Saturday, May 03, 2008 1:58 PM
  • I also have a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S that has not been working. It went out about a month ago. The drive tries to read but then the light just stays on and it doesnt do anything. It had some troubles burning CD's sometimes, then just one day I turned it on and the drive quit working. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4384. At first the computer said it couldnt load the drive so I did a complete system restore to a date where I did a full backup of my computer, but the problem persists and the computer thinks everything is working fine.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Eric,

It actually seems like there have been many responses after you responded to someone's initial issue. Unfortunately, your reply did not seem to answer most of the subsequent peoples' issue, which sounds identical to the one I have been having. I have a Toshiba Satellite w/ Windows XP (and have not upgraded to Vista or had any crashes).

Under Hardware my computer sees my Matshita DVD/CD, but has a yellow exclamation point by it and reports Code 39 as the problem. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, disabling and enabling and even checked Windows Update for newer driver updates and it says I have the most recent driver. Because I have no idea why it suddenly stopped working after working fine for almost 2 years, this problem is particularly difficult to figure out.

Hopefully you have some words of wisdom to share to help all of us out. Thanks in advance for your help!

CJ

Monday, May 05, 2008 11:21 AM
  • Hi Corey,

For the error code 39, please try this solution:

1.  Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

NOTE : If you are getting a code 39 message, it may be that additional third-party filter drivers were added to UpperFilters and LowerFilters values in addition to Adaptec filter drivers. In that case, you may try to remove the non-Adaptec filter drivers first, leaving the Easy Creator filters in place to see if the Code 39 goes away. If you still receive an error code 39, 32, or 31 message, remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely in the preceding key.

2.  Restart your computer. 

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Also, as you used Windows XP, if the problem still exists, I'd like to use the Microsoft public newsgroups for Windows XP which would be the most relevant newsgroup for your question.

Windows XP Newsgroup:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

• Proposed as answer by galusha1 Friday, January 22, 2010 5:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 2:47 AM
  • Hello Eric,

I also have a problem with my Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S.  I have Windows WP (SP2).  When I insert a cd or dvd into the drive, it seems to just spin around.  When I try to access it I get this message:

D:\ is not accessible.  The request could not be preformed because of an I/O error. 

This has been a long standing problem.  I have searched for many soultions in many different internet forums, but unfortunately nothing has worked.  I tried your registry solution but, alas, it also did not work. 

If you have any ideas I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you,
    Branka
    • Proposed as answer by nar49 Monday, January 16, 2012 9:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by nar49 Monday, January 16, 2012 9:54 PM
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 2:40 PM
  • I have found if I make a copy of the original cd on my dell laptop the copy will then work with my Toshiba.  I have searched for a real fix to the cd drive problem with no luck.  Error I receive is "d:\is not accessible.  I/O device error.  I will keep looking and let everyone know if I find a fix.

Art

artwcooke@hotmail.com

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Hi Group Art again:

I used the original restore disk that came with my Toshiba and reinstalled the cd/dvd driver and all is good with the drive.

Art

artwcooke@hotmail.com

ps.  I was lucky thet the drive read the restore disk OK.  

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Art how do you suppose we do this when the drive isnt working I have tried booting from the CD I have also deleted the upper and lower filters..

Im ready to just

Format C:    The only issue is if i do that will my drive work when i go to reinstall windows???????

I called Toshiba and they charged me 35.00 to tell me that my drive isnt working properly and that i would need to send my whole laptop to them to fix the situation and they would send it back... Im not going to pay for something that seems to be a common occurance with this company. They should admit their mistake and repair/replace the machines which are having this problem. at no cost to the consumer.
    Thursday, May 08, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Fyddle,

Have you tried making a copy of the restore disk on another computer?  The copied disk reads OK in my drive but not the original.  I also agree the Toshiba should do something about this problem.  I have worked with 5 Toshiba's out of 10 with this same trouble. 

I also tried the drive on my laptop this morning and it does not work again.  I am sure there is a hardware problem this the matSHITa drives.  I don't think it's a software problem and reformating c: and reinstalling windows is not a good fix.  I think I will purchase an external drive an plug it into a USB port.

Art Cooke

Friday, May 09, 2008 4:42 PM
  • Art Ive tried everything I finally got through to Circuit City where I purchased the Laptop, and they are going to call me back  with what can be done. I may just ask for a replacement machine.  of the same or lesser value. I have purchased a 3 year full warranty from them when i got the laptop so i hope that it will be honored.
    Friday, May 09, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Keep us updated if they find an answer.

Art

Saturday, May 10, 2008 2:41 AM
  • It's just weird, my Toshiba laptop's DVD/CD drive can read certain brands of CDs, but also has problems reading other CDs from different brands.  Seems to me it only recognizes a particular brand of CDs.

However, my brand new SONY laptop doesn't have any problems reading CDs so far. 

Same here.  I checked for new drivers but couldn't find any.  The driver version of my Toshiba laptop's UJ-841S is version 5.1.2535 0.  I'm not getting a Toshiba anymore!!!

Andrea 1 wrote:
    I too have a Toshiba laptop running XP (SP2) and have had similar problems with my Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S drive. I first noticed problems a few months ago. I thought they were bad disks. However, now it refuses to read or write anything, yet the drive's properties tell me it's working just fine.

The driver version for this device is: 5.1.2535.0 dated 7/1/2001. I've tried to update the driver, but have been unable to find newer versions.

Anyhelp would be GREATLY appreciated!!
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:09 AM
  • Eric,

Granted, I had to get some help figuring out the whole upper and lower filters thing, I just wanted to send you a note of thanks because your fix worked!!!

For anyone getting Code 39 as the problem I would seriously recommend checking out Eric's reply to my post. Thanks again Eric!!

Sunday, May 18, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Hello,

One thing is for sure: the optical drives in Toshiba Satellite series are this laptops Achilleas foot. We have to bombard them with our feedback until they work for a better optical drive, as the laptop himself seem to be pretty resistant and reliable. Mine made Afrika dirtroads and flew to the Phillipines tighly squeezed.

I think we need a hardware Guru. I had 2 Toshiba Satelite Laptops with different MatSHITa drives. Symptoms started with "bad disk" or "corrupted data" went back and forward from not reading CD's but reading DVDs and vice versa to finally creating only coaster discs when try to use it as a burner and major data corruption when installing software.

The wide range of errors was described as "lens decalibration" to "IDE port failure" etc etc

Our effort to find a solution is stoic and nerve consuming.

If the driver would be the problem I'm sure Toshiba would have send it online by some mechanism (everybody nows their online support is worst next to the optical drive) even paying some cheap dollars to an "online chat group leader".

I agree that suppresing the buffers is a temporary solutions (see high and low filters) but who wannts to run a car suppresing the turbo to let the engine functional?

I think that the guy who has to fix the problem works at MatSHITa!

Go and get the guy out of the rabbithole!!!

Dot

• Proposed as answer by jhigh420 Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:06 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2008 6:17 PM
  • just redcovered my dvd ram drive by insering the driver recovery cd, going to my computer, right clicking on the dvd ram icon, selecting explore, opening the BINS folder, selecting the dvd ram folder, unzipping the driver icon and installing....i am listening to a cd now.

further, I tried a dvd and had a problem so I uninstalled the driver from device manager, restarted the computer and re-installed the dvd driver again from the recovery disc as before then restarted.....now i can watch dvds.

btw my dvd ram drive is a uj 820s....which seems to operate from a generic driver within the recovery disc...so one size driver fits all matshita drives...hope this helps     1088
    Friday, August 08, 2008 11:28 PM
  • My Toshiba has exactly the same prolems as Linda's does. The "fix" you suggested does not do it... fix.   Obviously this is a common problem for the Toshiba dvd/cd/rw drives and needs to be addressed by Toshiba. They won't answer their emails... or the phone for that matter.   What can be done to get the drive working again?

Scott

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:20 PM
  • Hi,

I own the Toshiba A105-2194S. I am now having trouble with the Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S. I have windows XP no vista. What can I do to restore this? I am unable to play, or burn CD's and DVD's.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:14 AM
  • I have the same problem.

For some CD disks I get that dreaded "D:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed due to an I/O device error".

I found no help, nothing at all in Toshiba's site. So much for customer relations.

I guess all that remains is throwing this Toshiba junk in the garbage can and buying some other brand.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:35 PM
  • I forgot to add, my dvd drive is a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S, the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A105 running Win XP Pro.

I tried the "driver reinstall" tip but it made absolutely no difference, same CD bug/error remains.

Oddly if you inspect the Device Manager the DVD driver provider is listed as MICROSOFT (!)  Microsoft??  I mean, wtf?

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Well, it seems in 10 minutes of messing with one of these toshiba drives I found the solution - faulty hardware. If you open up the drive you will observe a metal plate that protects the cable and internal components of the drive. This plate is raised and prevents the disc from spinning. Because pressing down didn't help I used a knife to gently lift the plate then my fingers to gently lift until it was stuck at the end. With some firm, gentle pulling the plate came out completely without damaging the drive. Now the drive is reading everything I throw at it, though I haven't had a chance to test burning. I'm just happy I didn't have to replace the drive.
    • Proposed as answer by jhigh420 Friday, December 19, 2008 6:36 AM
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Burning works fine. 
    Friday, December 19, 2008 6:36 AM
  • Battled with this problem with my Toshiba for over a year - drive would write discs but not read many.  No software fix worked so finally bit the bullet, spent £25 and put a new DVD writer drive in.  Best £25 and 2 minutes that I've spent in a long time - everything works fine now confirming that it was a hardware fault in the drive all along.  If I'd realised how easy it was to swap a drive then I'd have done it along time ago!
    • Proposed as answer by Rexy99 Monday, February 23, 2009 8:12 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:12 PM
  • For anyone who is still unable to resolve this problem:

I deleted the driver, then went to Control Panel and selected Install New Hardware.
    The system detected a "new" Matshita DVD-Ram and installed it.

It working perfectly now!
    • Proposed as answer by sidhusir Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:54 PM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 6:00 PM
  • I have a Toshiba Satellite.
    Couple days ago, I was having the same exact problem of the disc not getting recognized, and at times the error of the disc is corrupted or disc not found.

To resolve this problem, I disabled and then enabled my optical drive.
    To do this:

Right click on My Computer ,
    Go to Properties tab,
    Click on Device Manager ,
    Expand DVD/CD ROM drives ,
    Double click on the drive,
    Go to Device status drop box and select Do not use this device (Disable) ,
    And then click OK ,
    It may ask you to restart.
    And then click OK again.

The computer should restart.

When it restarts,
    Go to the same place and this time, select use this device (enable) .
    If you don't do this last step, the DVD drive will not even show up in the My Computer.

Saturday, December 19, 2009 10:11 AM
  • This solution worked for me! thanks
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Hi Corey,

For the error code 39, please try this solution:

1.  Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

NOTE : If you are getting a code 39 message, it may be that additional third-party filter drivers were added to UpperFilters and LowerFilters values in addition to Adaptec filter drivers. In that case, you may try to remove the non-Adaptec filter drivers first, leaving the Easy Creator filters in place to see if the Code 39 goes away. If you still receive an error code 39, 32, or 31 message, remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely in the preceding key.

2.  Restart your computer. 

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Also, as you used Windows XP, if the problem still exists, I'd like to use the Microsoft public newsgroups for Windows XP which would be the most relevant newsgroup for your question.

Windows XP Newsgroup:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

This worked for me.  I had to do a little searching to find out how to do it but here is how I did it.

I also have a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S that has not been working for about 6 months. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4384.    The drive tries to read but then stops and it doesn’t do anything. 

Under Hardware my computer sees my Matshita DVD/CD, but has a yellow exclamation point by it and reports Code 39 as the problem. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, disabling and enabling and even checked Windows Update for newer driver updates and it says I have the most recent driver. I had no idea why it suddenly stopped working after working fine for more than 2 years.

After locating this post I tried the above procedure and everything now works perfectly.

It is imperative that you set a restore point for you registry before you try to edit it.

The link above did not work for me so I searched for “How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP” and found and followed the following:

Manual steps to back up the registry in in Windows XP

1. Click Start , click Run , type %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe , and then click OK .
    2. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Create a restore point, and then click Next .
    3. On the Create a Restore Point page, type a name for the restore point and then click Create
    4. After the restore point has been created, click Close .

Note If System Restore is turned off, you receive a message that asks whether you want to turn on System Restore now. Click Yes . Then, in the System Properties dialog box, click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box, click OK , and then repeat this step.

I then began the edit of the registry.  I searched for “How to Edit Registry in Windows XP” and used this link: http://www.monkeydoit.com/edit-registry-windows-xp.php

To find and use these instructions:

To edit the Windows registry you need to run regedit . Simply click on the Start Button > Run . Then type regedit and click Okay. Once this is complete RegEdit should open. Regedit is a program used to edit the Registry in Windows XP.  You will see a series of directories.  One of which will be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

You will need to   drill down through directories to get to:

I then removed the upper and lower filter entries, close out regedit and restarted my computer to find I now have my drive back.

• Proposed as answer by Trailmender Friday, February 12, 2010 6:51 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:50 PM
  • Eric,

I am so glad I found this forum. My DVD drive was also playing possum on my Satellite A105 (XP). It is a Matshita just like all your other seekers above.

I went to the registry and removed the two entries for upperfilters and lowerfilters and now I can finally begin loading some software I paid a fair bit of money for.

If I hadn't found this fix I was minutes away from going after the problem as if it were a hardware problem, so that would have been a mistake. I really knew it was not a hardware problem because the disc would spin and the device was there in the Device Manager and all. Much trouble after one has gone to great lengths to find the driver on line and still fail.

Your fix was simple and immediate. I thank you heartily and wish you well.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Eric,

I am so glad I found this forum. My DVD drive was also playing possum on my Satellite A105 (XP). It is a Matshita just like all your other seekers above.

I went to the registry and removed the two entries for upperfilters and lowerfilters and now I can finally begin loading some software I paid a fair bit of money for.

If I hadn't found this fix I was minutes away from going after the problem as if it were a hardware problem, so that would have been a mistake. I really knew it was not a hardware problem because the disc would spin and the device was there in the Device Manager and all. Much trouble after one has gone to great lengths to find the driver on line and still fail.

Your fix was simple and immediate. I thank you heartily and wish you well.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Thanks Eric. It worked. Spent 3hours trying to figure it out. Tried dusabling it uninstalling it and updating it. Even tried the registry thing. Couldn't believe how easy it was. Thanks alot!
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:41 AM
  • Just go here and run this tool

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

FIXED

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:15 PM
  • Eric,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4384 with an Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-841S drive.  The unit originally had Windows XP and I had it upgraded to Windows 7.  Shortly after upgrading to Windows 7, I encountered a CD-DVD Code 10 error.  I found a solution online at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461.

Now I am unable to burn any CD's & DVD's and receive the following message when opening ITunes:  The registry settings used by the ITunes Drivers for importing and burning CD's & DVD's are missing.  This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software.  Please reinstall ITunes.

I have reinstalled ITunes and still receive the same message. 

Please help!

Patrick B.l

Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Im having this problem on an old pc that i tried to revive by installing win2000 on.  It was running xp and worked just fine, but had to be erased and done over.  since the coa sticker is for win2000, thats what it has now.

but i found that if my main pc burns a cd-r this win2000 machine cannot read it, it says D:\Not Accessible  Incorrect Function

but if a regular windows install disc is put in there it works fine.  Ive seen lots of proposed solutions, but like some NONE OF THEM have fixed my pc.  Its odd that some people can reinstall applications/drivers and it fixes it; or change the registry or uninstall the cd from device manager.  

plus when the pc starts up and windows 2000 is just about ready to use the first cd door tray opens, a few seconds later the other one does also.

Then i thought i did a post with this but cant find it.

lots of hours to try to chase this really fundamental problem.  Anyone know what "function" its trying to do?  should my discs burned always contain some essential file like "autorun.inf" ???  

what function is it not doing?  since a standard disc works but a home made one does not this suggests the drive, cabling and drivers work fine but its something it reads off of the burned disc that makes it fail.

does anyone know what kind of file could be put onto a home made disc to make it work normally? or what setting in w2k to change to ignore it?

Dont forget Power of Attorney
    Friday, December 17, 2010 2:09 AM
  • I am a bit surprised that this problem has not been resolve though it seems to be existent for such a long time with Toshiba Laptops.

I had purchased a Toshiba Laptop Satellite A100-813. The drive was working OK for quite some time. I had not even realised from when it was not working as I have not used it with DVDs for quite some time. The driver I have is 5.1.2535.0 dated 7/1/2001. I had Windows xp installed with an option to upgrade to Windows Vista which I did not choose. Later I was updating with all the updates of Microsoft for the windows xp. Presentl I have Windows XP with serivce pack 3.

I tried to use a DVD a telephone directory supplied by the local Telephone Company QTEL, that is when I realised that it does not run some DVDs or CDs. When I was looking for a driver update I came across this site.

Is it because of some automatic updates of Windows XP which is affecting the drive which was working well.

If there is a solution I too would like to know so that the problem is rectified.

regards

Sarma 

Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:59 PM
  • I too have a toshiba satellite with the matshita drive

it reads some cd's but not others, is inconsistent in allowing me to listen to different albums.

I would have thought a simple driver upgrade would have been the answer, however when i told it to update, it only found the 2001 driver.

Will attempt some of the other fixes and advise

Monday, January 03, 2011 5:12 AM
  • tried the above link to microsoft to run a fix through their system diagnostic, however it does not work on a satellite A100-TA6

I then went to toshiba canada and checked for updated drivers, downloaded one for the dvd, and installed it, however no change to the cd reader.

Looked into the registry fix, however i do not know what the upper and lower filters are?

So if someone can advise what upper and lower filters are, I would be obliged

Monday, January 03, 2011 7:54 AM
  • how do i delete the upperfilter and lowerfilter?
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Ive tried (Please open "Control Panel" and select "Device Manager" to check whether the DVD-RAM is included in the list.

If not, please right-click the "DVD-CD drivers" and select "Scan for hardware changes".) but nothing works.

help please

kevin

Friday, January 21, 2011 9:33 PM
  • This really is a common problem. I own a toshiba satellite A100 started with XP now running on Windows Vista and my matSHITa dvd now has the guaranteed failure. I can still read discs bt I cannot burn dvds. Apparently Starforce Protection causes this problem. It gradually slows down your drive speed till it breaks. I'm not too sure about it. My drive speed for dvds is now 4x. My driver is cdrom.sys. Is this correct? I don't want to try the regedit maybe its not my problem. If anyone has a vista driver I could try out I'd be more than willing to. I only have the cd for XP so most of the drivers don't work. I bought it second hand so I don't have any guarantee.
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:53 AM
  • Hi everyone! I have the same problem with my Toshiba A110 with the Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S

It would only read Store bought DVD's and thats it.  Allways had the I/O error cannont read drive or whatever.

I searched in vain for a solution tried the registry stuff, drivers, looked for firmware (there is none) on and on

I would never suggest this to anyone but it was the last thing to try before buying a new internal drive.

SMACK THE BOTTOM ON THE LAPTOP RIGHT UNDER THE DVD-DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

It worked perfectly for me, can read all disks no problem (a little slow but hey its old).

Found this "solution" here: http://www.fixya.com/support/t361909-matshita_dvd_ram_uj_841s_o_device_error

As for burning it was a different problem.  I could NOT BURN DVD or CD's at all, "power calibration error" *** SEE FOLLOWUP AT BOTTOM

I guess being able to read dvd/cd's is better than nothing.  Will keep trying to figure out the burning and post back if i find anything that works!

NOTE: Do this at your own risk, don't come crying and say I broke it worse etc ;)

Goodluck!

FOLLOWUP: I was able to burn!!  You have to pick the slowest burn speed available.  For cd it was 8x.  Burning now and no problems so far.  going to try a dvd next, will post back!  *** Nah it just "thought" it was burning. oh well

• Edited by six69pack Saturday, June 04, 2011 7:44 PM
    • Proposed as answer by AWA13 Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:19 AM
    Saturday, June 04, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Hi everyone! I have the same problem with my Toshiba A110 with the Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S

It would only read Store bought DVD's and thats it.  Allways had the I/O error cannont read drive or whatever.

I searched in vain for a solution tried the registry stuff, drivers, looked for firmware (there is none) on and on

I would never suggest this to anyone but it was the last thing to try before buying a new internal drive.

SMACK THE BOTTOM ON THE LAPTOP RIGHT UNDER THE DVD-DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

It worked perfectly for me, can read all disks no problem (a little slow but hey its old).

Found this "solution" here: http://www.fixya.com/support/t361909-matshita_dvd_ram_uj_841s_o_device_error

As for burning it was a different problem.  I could NOT BURN DVD or CD's at all, "power calibration error" *** SEE FOLLOWUP AT BOTTOM

I guess being able to read dvd/cd's is better than nothing.  Will keep trying to figure out the burning and post back if i find anything that works!

NOTE: Do this at your own risk, don't come crying and say I broke it worse etc ;)

Goodluck!

FOLLOWUP: I was able to burn!!  You have to pick the slowest burn speed available.  For cd it was 8x.  Burning now and no problems so far.  going to try a dvd next, will post back!  *** Nah it just "thought" it was burning. oh well

Oh    My    Gosh!  You aren't going to believe this, but this answer IS THE FIX. UNBELIEVABLE! I can NOT believe this worked. After HOURS of searching and wasting time, this was the way to go.

Everyone, just SMACK THE BOTTOM OF YOUR COMPUTER UNDER THE CRAPPY, FAULTY, P-O-S Drive!!

I will never, ever, ever again get a Toshiba Computer or ANY computer with this cheesy, cheap "RAM" drive again. Never. I think Toshiba sucks and always will. I truly hate Toshiba. This is not the only problem, but sealed the deal for me. Wow.

By the way, just so other people who read this are aware, the model MATSHITA that is in my Toshitba, is model "MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-8205", so this is not just limited to your specific model Matshita, it's most likely all Matshitas - or at least all Mashitas found in Toshitba's laptops..

Running Windows XP Pro on Toshitba Satellite Model A60 (PSA60U-0JN04N)
    • Edited by AWA13 Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:39 AM Typos
    • Proposed as answer by AWA13 Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:40 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:26 AM
  • I cannot believe it ... its true ... i have a satellite m105-sp3021 and i just smack the drive and it starts working.

For the spanish people:

El dvd driver de la laptop no funcionaba y me he pasado un tiempo viendo que es, sin embargo este comentario de darle un golpe al driver lo arreglo. Increible.

Slds.

Monday, August 01, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Agreed!  I purchased my Toshiba about 3 or 4 yrs ago and this CD/DVD drive crapped out within a month or two.  NO HELP FROM MICROSOFT OR TOSHIBA by the way.  I have determined it's a lemon and no one cares that they've screwed everyone out of $$ for their lack of working parts.  I had been told Toshiba was the "cadillac" of laptops... HA!  The WORST one I ever owned.  (Compaq was GREAT before they were bought out by HP).  So, I made the only sensible decision left: APPLE!  I have a MacBook Pro and I LOVE IT!  Takes some getting used to, but Apple knows how to perform and keep their customers LOYAL. There IS a reason they say "Once you go MAC you never go back!"  Take it from me, I will NEVER buy another MS POS again.  Buh Bye!

PS I LOVE the advice of the users who say just RE-INSTALL from disk!  DUH, HELLO!!! IT'S NOT WORKING!!!!!  Crazy people!  When you're tired of the headaches, head to the nearest APPLE store!

Thursday, August 04, 2011 4:43 PM
  • CEDGOLD, Thank you for this simple solution it worked! I had tried installing updates but never worked, however uninstalling the driver & going to Control Panel & allowing it to 'Find the New Hardware' & install the driver worked great! DVDs work & I am able to install software again! BTW - I have a Toshiba A100 with a Matshita UJ-841S running Vista x64
    • Edited by sidhusir Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:01 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Hi, I have a Toshiba Tecra with Win XP and UJ 841S DVD Ram. For the firsat time I tried burning a DVD yesterday but had no luck. After reading the whole of this forum and trying a few tips I still had no luck. Installed on my Toshiba is "Sonic Record Now". I thin maybe this programme is not very powerful as I looked on the internet for another recording programme (choosing Ashampoo, as it had been recommended) but found "Express Burn", http://www.nch.com.a/burn/index.html?gclid=CICktuPUpq0CFYMlpAodsT7omw After many frustrating hours formerly, recording worked straight away once I used this programme. Good luck with trying to solve your problems. also see this website: http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/what-we-do/campaigns/save-mokihinui-damn-dam http://www.greens.org.nz/features/protect-mokihinui-river http://www.wwf.org.nz/?4120%2FMokihinui-river-dam-plan-poses-ecological-disaster---WWF http://www.savethemokihinui.org.nz/ http://www.windy.gen.nz/index.php/archives/421
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:11 PM