none
Start-up problems with HP laptop running Windows7 64-bit beta...

Question

• Often, I try to start up my HP laptop w/windows7 beta and it starts but doesn't turn on all the way, and no display. It will sometimes restart with still no results. I have tried everything I can think of: Configured the power settings, unplug it and remove the battery and retry start-up, the battery is fully charged and it did this with a different battery, even. I have called HP, asked others who are more knowledgable, however, this keeps happening more often than I am okay with. I need some advice from someone out there who knows what's up. Please help me, I'd really appreciate it.  
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:16 PM

Answers

• Hi jozzywales,

Please go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs. What is the result?

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please try uninstalling the display adapter and restart the computer in normal mode to check the result.

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the "Display adapter".

3. Right click the display card and click Uninstall.

Restart the computer to normal mode and see if the issue occurs.

Also, please update to the latest drivers, BIOS and chipset to check the result. If the issue persists, could you please provide the following information?

·          When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing Windows 7, or installing certain software or changing some hardware?

·          How often does the issue occur? Does it occur every time when starting up the computer?

·          How Windows 7 was installed? Was it a clean installation or upgrade installation?

·          What is the model of your HP laptop?

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:27 AM
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:11 AM

All replies

• What HP laptop series is it?  Also, do you have any way to do video out, such as the VGA cable to a monitor or S-video to a TV?  If so, boot up and do a fn+F4 to see if it will show on the video-out screen.

I know a lot of HP laptops that have not had their BIOS updated have fried their GPU/MOBO from overheating, and the signs you are giving us are almost a direct translation of the problem.

If you find my post helpful, please hit the "Vote as helpful" button on the top left of my post so that others may see that it is helpful as well. Thank you, Shawn
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Hi jozzywales,

Please go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs. What is the result?

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please try uninstalling the display adapter and restart the computer in normal mode to check the result.

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the "Display adapter".

3. Right click the display card and click Uninstall.

Restart the computer to normal mode and see if the issue occurs.

Also, please update to the latest drivers, BIOS and chipset to check the result. If the issue persists, could you please provide the following information?

·          When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing Windows 7, or installing certain software or changing some hardware?

·          How often does the issue occur? Does it occur every time when starting up the computer?

·          How Windows 7 was installed? Was it a clean installation or upgrade installation?

·          What is the model of your HP laptop?

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:27 AM
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:11 AM
  • I also have the same issue after installing Windows 7 on my HP Pavilion desktop.  I contacted Microsoft and a tech and I went through updating the display driver but to no avail.  My system has the NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE display adapter.  Finally the MS tech recommended I contact HP about the problem.  Whatever the issue is, it affects HP machines after upgrading to Windows 7 (Home Premium in my case).  What is the solution?
    Friday, December 03, 2010 4:50 AM
  • I have similar problem with my Hp and

really i don't know how to use the VGA

nor S-vid connetion..

Sunday

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:41 PM
  • I have similar problem with my Hp and

really i don't know how to use the VGA

nor S-vid connetion..

Sunday

It is impossible for you to have a similar problem since the Windows 7 64-bit Beta expired a LONG time ago!

And, it is not proper to HANG your problem on and old post!

Using VGA or S-video is not a Windows 7 problem.  This is a configuration issue that you should post in the appropriate HP Support forum for your system!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:49 PM