none
How to disable or hide the Search Box on the Start Menu with group policy?

Question

• Can anyone tell me how to disable and/or hide the Search Box on the Windows 7 Start Menu with group policy?  I'm creating group policies to lock down the desktop so that users may select only a couple of shortcuts on the Start Menu: they don't need the Search Box.  I've figured out how to lock down pretty much everything else, but there isn't any obvious setting to make the Search Box go away entirely.  Thanks in advance for your time and help in these regards.
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 8:50 PM

Answers

• You can use the DISM.exe to uninstall Windows features

dism /online /disable-feature /featurename: SearchEngine-Client-Package

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Ralph,

There is no way to remove the Search box from the Start menu via Group Policy. However, you can do this by removing the Windows Search feature. To do this, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features On or Off -> uncheck Windows Search -> click Yes when a message saying "Turning off Windows Search might affect other Windows features and programs installed on your computer, including default settings. Do you want to continue?" -> Restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Hi Ralph,

There is no way to remove the Search box from the Start menu via Group Policy. However, you can do this by removing the Windows Search feature. To do this, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features On or Off -> uncheck Windows Search -> click Yes when a message saying "Turning off Windows Search might affect other Windows features and programs installed on your computer, including default settings. Do you want to continue?" -> Restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Is there a way to do this programmatically, instead of interactively?  Thanks!

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:47 PM
  • You can use the DISM.exe to uninstall Windows features

dism /online /disable-feature /featurename: SearchEngine-Client-Package

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 4:26 PM
  • That did the trick, Andre!  Thank you so much for the help.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:59 PM
  • ok, great to hear that it works :)

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:05 AM
  • Hi Andre, I ran this in "Run"and it said successful but it didnt seem to do anything. Does it require it to be run as a startup script from a cmd file?

Thank you.

Jonny

Friday, July 29, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Hey Ralph, Im having the same dilema in the removal of Windows 7 search bar on the start menu. Exactly how did you implement that DISM.exe tool that Andre recommended. Thanks. any help would help :)  (da_rolle@hotmail if u wanna email)

DR
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Thank you, Linda!

If one hides the search field on the Start Menu, will they be able to navigate the Windows 7 Start Menu with letters on the keyboard they same way I can using the Classic Start Menu on Windows XP?

Again, thank you, and I'll look forward to your reply!

P. S. - This may finally get my eight-month-old Windows 7 computer out of the box! <chuckles>

Monday, February 06, 2012 9:05 PM