none
Unable to access few websites

Question

• Hello,

After i updated windows 7 to windows 7 service pack 1, i'm facing problem of connection to few websites which were working fine before installation of SP1. I tried all possible ways to solve this problem. I tried uninstalling SP1 but it gives me following error:

Installer encountered an error:0x80073712

The component store has been corrupted.

I dont understand what should i try to solve this problem. Unfortunately there is no restore point before update to SP1. Please help me with this problem. I'm able to connect with few other sites but some sites which are important to me as i work on that i'm not able to do so.

I dont want to do system restore to factory settings which is last option.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:19 PM

All replies

• You really do want to try to keep Service Pack 1, or you're just going to fall out of date going forward.

Service Pack 1 should not affect your ability to access one web site vs. another, unless I'm misinterpreting your meaning.

What do you mean "problem of connection to few websites which were working"?  Can you please describe the problems / error messages / etc. in more detail?

-Noel

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Hi Noel,

I tried everything to access websites but i find this message as unable to connect. The websites which i'm not able to connect are bank websites and few websites of ibm which requires VPN connection to access it. I was able to access them before my lappy windows 7 got updated to SP1. 

The solutions which i tried are mentioned in this link : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817622%28WS.10%29.aspx#CommunityContent

After doing all possible ways of trouble shooting i came to conclusion that it is SP1 which is not allowing to access.

Error : Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.onlinesbi.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
        moments.
      If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
        connection.
      If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
        that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Sites are up and working fine with other system where SP1 is not there.  My firewalls are also in off state.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 12:51 PM
  • It seems likely it must be something more complex than just "SP1 which is not allowing to access", because many people are using Windows 7 SP1 without problems accessing web sites.  I certainly have not seen any new problems accessing sites.  And the firewall can also remain on without problems.

It's possible that indirectly, SP1 has caused a compatibility issue that is now interfering with something you have installed - e.g., your internet security software may not be working properly with it.  That's just an example.

I'm sorry I don't have more to suggest beyond trying to start with a clean boot (all your add-ons and extra software removed).  I hope someone else can offer more specific advice for you.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Wednesday, September 07, 2011 2:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Hi certifiedtester,

Please open the command component, input the command sfc /scannow to perform a system file check firstly. If there's any error message, please provide it with us.

Then reset the Windows Update Components, refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Temporarily disable the firewall/anti-virus software to check if it works.

Since you're using Firefox to access the websites, change another browser and see the result.

The service pack 1 won't change the security settings, if still fail, I suggest you clean boot the computer, if not work, then capture the network traffic to find which steps get problem. You can download the network monitor from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=4865

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 5:39 AM
  • Hi Miya,

I did as you said and CBS log file shows it has repaired corrupted files. But still it has not solved my problem. As CBS log file is very huge and i cannot attach file here.

Regards,

Vijayshree.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Hi Vijayshree,

If the corrupted system still cannot be fixed, it could be quiet a tough process to manually fix them. Therefore, I suggest you perform an In-Place Upgrade, refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 09, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Hi Miya,

Ok but i dont have windows 7 CD or DVD, as it was pre-installed in lappy and i made copy of recovery disc which was suggested by HP people, so will this recovery disc works for what you suggested.

Regards,

Vijayshree.

Friday, September 09, 2011 5:17 AM
  • What's kind of a recovery disc? Created like this method: http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1114725.htm ?

(Note: Since the site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

If you choose System Image Recovery, it will recover your computer using a system image you created ealier. Please backup all the important data firstly and you may need to reinstall the service pack 1.

Regards,

Miya

Friday, September 09, 2011 5:35 AM
  • It was prepared from recovery manager and my D drive is recovery drive.
    Friday, September 09, 2011 5:40 AM