none
Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

Question

• Hi.  I accidentally entered my Windows 8 MSDN Key instead of using a Windows 8 Pro TechNet key.  I found out the hard way when I was trying to join it to my test domain.  I was going to just rebuild it but then I figured I try the upgrade/add features and move to Pro.  I enter the key and it starts to work, then says "Failed to upgrade, retrying"  then reboots, says that again twice, then reboots, then comes back and says that it couldn't add the features.  

Is this supposed to work right now?  Both keys and media are RTM versions.

Thanks.

www.techtronic.us - My App http://redirect.zune.net/External/LaunchZuneProtocol.aspx?pathuri=navigate%3FphoneAppID%3Da6f54073-41ac-e011-a53c-78e7d1fa76f8

Monday, August 20, 2012 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my understanding, if we want to perform a upgrade, we need a specific upgrade key, not an installation key to finish this process.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which key did you enter when you rebuild it?  Maybe I misunderstand, but If you have Windows 8 Pro key and corresponding installation media, you need perform installation directly.

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:42 AM
  • I didn't rebuild it.  I installed it using a Windows 8 key and was hoping I could use the "add a feature" to upgrade it to pro, similar to how Windows 7 was upgrade- able to ultimate etc...

I am not sure if their add a feature servers aren't working, or if this is not working by design.  I thought anyone could upgrade from reg 8 to 8 pro with a key.

www.techtronic.us - My App www.spaceweatherapp.com

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:32 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my understanding, if we want to perform a upgrade, we need a specific upgrade key, not an installation key to finish this process.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:12 AM
  • I too would like the answer.  I have found a tablet I like but it comes with Windows 8.  Will I be able to upgrade it to Pro?
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:11 PM
  • I too would like the answer.  I have found a tablet I like but it comes with Windows 8.  Will I be able to upgrade it to Pro?

I would like to know this answer too! Does it work with any Windows 8 Tablet with 64GB SSD?

Thx

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:55 AM