none
Windows 7 - Blue screen whenever I restart or shutdown

Question

• Because of this problem, I can't properly install new hardware and of course, I can't shut down the PC without doing it physically with the button.
    This is the second time I install Windows 7 Professional (Which I got from my MSDN account), and this time it's on a separate partition (multi config with XP Pro).
    This time I didn't install any new hardware and still I get the same blue screen error.
    Well, Here's my system performance log:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz 7.2
      Determined by lowest subscore
    Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB 5.5
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 6.8
    Gaming graphics 1279 MB Total available graphics memory 6.8
    Primary hard disk 14GB Free (24GB Total) 5.9

and that's the error details:

MULTIPLE_COMPLETE_IRP_REQUESTS

STOP:  0X00000044 (0X8A900120, 0X00000EAE, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Saturday, September 12, 2009 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for sending me the minidump logs. The minidump logs indicated that the problem is cuased by incompatible driver. To narrow down the root cause, test the problem in device clean boot mode and check the result:

Device Clean Boot
    ================
    1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter. Please click “Allow” if the User Account Control window is prompted.
    2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
    3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"
    4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK.
    5. Please use the same method to disable other hardware: Display adapter, Modem, network adapter, CD-R drive.

Note: The display resolution will be changed after disabling the display adapter.

Then, restart your computer. Please check whether the issue persists. Click "Driver" tab, click Enable (Enable the selected device). Click OK.

If the issue does not occur, we can re-enable the devices one by one to narrow down the root cause.

Thomas Lin

Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can first test the problem in Clean Boot mode.

If the issue persists, can you send me the minidump log for research?

Minidump Log
    =================
    1. Click "Start", in start search bar, input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    2. Click the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery". Clear the" Automatically Restart" option.

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small Memory Dump (64KB)" option is selected.
    4. Check if "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small Dump Directory" open box.

If the Blue Screen occurs or Windows shuts down unexpectedly , please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Please click Start, in start search bar, type "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks).
    2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".
    3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like Mini092003-01.dmp) in Minidump to this folder.
    4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
    5. Please send the ZIP file as an attachment to thoml@live.com.

Thomas Lin
    Monday, September 14, 2009 5:25 AM
  • This may be related to a usb device. Which usb devices (if any) are connected?

Try disconnecting the usb devices from the system tray icon "Safely remove hardware" for the item(s) listed except for the mouse and keyboard one at a time and attempt a shutdown.

You could also disconnect any usb devices while the computer is shutdown, boot-up and shutdown. Try to get a clean shutdown.

Then you could connect each device one at time after a restart and let Win 7 reinstall the device(s) and try a shutdown.
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Monday, September 14, 2009 11:15 AM
  • I installed Windows 7 RC a month ago.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    4 GB of RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    400 GB of Hard disk (I bought 2 year ago - Samsung).

Everything ran well. But last weed, when I was working with Photoshop (a small file 5 MB) a blue screen appeared, my computer shut down and could not restart. My hard disk became unallocated. I had to recover my data with Arax disk doctor.

Is it right that Windows 7 overlocks my computer? For my computer ran very fast with Windows 7 64 bit compared with Vista 64 bit.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 1:10 PM
  • There are no USB devices attached except for the mouse.
    Also, the clean boot doesn't work cause it won't shutdown or restart properly.  so all the boot settings can't be saved.
    I'm sending you the minidump log,  Hope you can find a solution for this one..

Thanks
    Monday, September 14, 2009 11:21 PM
  • ZZCheetahZZ,
    What computer or motherboard are you using?

Check your BIOS settings for the display/video/graphics adapter. Disable any on-board or make the 9600GT primary (either PCI-e or PCI, depends on the type you have)

Check the boot order for drives. Just for a test, make the HDD first.

Just a couple of suggestions while Thomas looks at the mem dump.
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Ok thanks,  here are some more details:

mobo: Asus P5Q  -  no onboard ____   :)
    Latest BIOS ver 2102
    CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 running on 2500GHz
    Ram: 2X1GB OCZ Reaper 800 MHz
    GPU: Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    HDD: Seagate 500GB  32M Buffer
    Boot order starts with DVD and then HDD, 3rd is disabled (all this by my choice - and I don't see the relevance to the problem)

By the way, Thomas , I didn't get any confirmation from you on email..  did you get the minidump log files?
    Thanks again..

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:02 PM
  • ZZCheetahZZ,
    Have you installed all of the Win 7 drivers from Asus? They are now posted in Asus support. 32 and 64-bit versions. Install those and see if the issue is resolved. It is the P5Q only, correct? There are many iterations of that series. I only checked P5Q.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for sending me the minidump logs. The minidump logs indicated that the problem is cuased by incompatible driver. To narrow down the root cause, test the problem in device clean boot mode and check the result:

Device Clean Boot
    ================
    1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter. Please click “Allow” if the User Account Control window is prompted.
    2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
    3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"
    4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK.
    5. Please use the same method to disable other hardware: Display adapter, Modem, network adapter, CD-R drive.

Note: The display resolution will be changed after disabling the display adapter.

Then, restart your computer. Please check whether the issue persists. Click "Driver" tab, click Enable (Enable the selected device). Click OK.

If the issue does not occur, we can re-enable the devices one by one to narrow down the root cause.

Thomas Lin

Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:24 AM
  • Great!  Thanks to you I found the faulty hardware.
    It was the Intel V92 HaM Data Fax Voice (Modem PCI card)
    I actually used the original drivers for it, and it was ok.. 
    How can I fix it so it won't crash my system? I need it to send and receive faxes on this machine.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:59 PM
  • You could try these drivers in compatibility mode for XP. They were the latest I could find. I would venture a guess that it just won't work in Win 7. There is also one Vista compatible card listed here, a US Robotics, that would work. Both cards are definitlely 32-bit only as you did not mention whether you were running 32-bit or 64-bit.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:39 PM
  • I already have this version of drivers installed.
    I also checked the Modem and it works fine, but as soon as I restart the windows, I get the same Blue screen all over again.
    I guess I won't be able to use it regularly on Win 7.     :(

Oh, and it's a 32bit OS..
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:28 PM
  •  

Hi ZZCheetahZZ,

As you can see, this is a old device and the latest version of driver we can find was released in 2002 (and it’s for Windows XP). Old build driver may not working properly under Windows 7, even in compatible mode. Since the root cause of the issue is more related to hardware driver limitation, I think you may consider change a Windows 7 compatible Fax/Modem. Meanwhile, you are using RC version current, the final Retail/RTM version may have a better compatibility.

Good luck.

Friday, September 18, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Ok, Thanks for all the help.  :) 
    Friday, September 18, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Hello,

I have nearly the same problem. My PC sometimes crashes when I want to shut down/reboot, and sometimes not. Thetrefore it ain'T so easy to narrow it down to the drivers.

I use Windows 7 32bit on a HP Elite 7000.

My Processor is an Intle(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU.

I am pretty new to this forum so maybe you can tell wich information more you need or if it's possible to find the driver that causes the crash

Thanks very much,

Bolle

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:17 PM
  • This is the problem signature i get (it's in german so i try to translate):

Problemsignatur:
      Problemereignisname:    BlueScreen
      Betriebsystemversion:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
      Gebietsschema-ID:    1031

Zusatzinformationen zum Problem (additional information concerning the problem):
      BCCode:    1000008e
      BCP1:    C0000005
      BCP2:    00000068
      BCP3:    9987FBD4
      BCP4:    00000000
      OS Version:    6_1_7600
      Service Pack:    0_0
      Product:    256_1

Dateien, die bei der Beschreibung des Problems hilfreich sind (data that might be helpfull in describing the problem):
      C:\windows\Minidump\081810-14976-01.dmp
      C:\Users\Bolle\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-32807-0.sysdata.xml

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Thomas, I'm having the same issue.  About 7 times out of 10 my Windows 7 machines dumps on shutdown.  Maybe I send yout he DMP file as described in this post?
    Tuesday, September 07, 2010 1:20 PM
  • JonGraham123,

Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 12:14 AM
  • I have the same problem, when I shutdown the PC, I get the BSOD error when I shut down.

The error code is : 0x000000A0 (0x00000001, 0x00000006, 0x871A10D0, 0x0000000)

Can someone help?

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Had the same problem with my Windows 7. Fixed it by doing this:

Hit Start Button(located by default in bottom left corner)

Type or copy and paste "DEVMGMT.MSC"

Hit enter

Its most likely a driver you need to disable so disable the most recent thing by doing this:

Under Universal Serial Bus (or USB) I saw "Generic Hub" (It was for a Rockband controller and I ignored were it said "ONLY FOR PS2 SYSTEM" and it worked)

Right click the one you think it is

Click Properties

Click Driver

Click Disable/Uninstall

It should now work, enjoy!

Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:03 PM