none
Are others having problems with applying monitor calibration files?

Question

• Not sure which forum to place this so I picked this one...

First, I really like that this version of Windows finally includes the ability to automatically apply a monitor calibration file (icc) to the video card's LUT so that it starts up calibrated and doesn't require a third party loader.

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work. I used a Colorvision Spyder2 to calibrate my monitor and save the .icm file. I'm able to choose it as the default and apply the calibration using the Color Management control panel. It does seem to stick better than in Vista. I'm not seeing the calibration lost when, locking, sleeping, hibernating, like I sometimes did in Vista. However, when first booting up, I find that it looks like it is initially using the calibration, but then at some point the colors shift back to the uncalibrated state and I have to either open up the color management control panel to reapply the current calibration or use the spyder2 startup loader to apply the calibration.

I could put the spyder2 loader back in my startup, but I'd prefer to find a way to make the Windows calibration stick.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue, or conversely, gotten their calibration to stick without any issues? I'm not sure where the issue is. Whether it's a bug in Windows 7, a third party app resetting the LUT on startup, or possibly an issue with the Nvidia display driver. Speaking of which, should I stick with the Nvidia driver automatically installed by Windows 7 or upgrade to a newer Vista version from their website?

In any case, it would be nice to have an option to make windows enforce the calibration, overriding any other application that tries to change it.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:33 PM

Answers

• I would suggest submitting feedback on this to Microsoft.  Since there can be many variables as to why this is happening only they can be the ones to confirm if it si something with Windows 7 or if it has to deal with a 3rd party application.
    ~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:50 PM

All replies

• I would suggest submitting feedback on this to Microsoft.  Since there can be many variables as to why this is happening only they can be the ones to confirm if it si something with Windows 7 or if it has to deal with a 3rd party application.
    ~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:50 PM
  • How do I do that?

Thanks.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:00 PM
  • having similar problem..i just get a funnt color on my screen.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 12:41 AM