none
Windows XP to Windows 7 migration issues

Question

• In my current XP environment I have roaming profiles, home folder, and GPO folder redirection configured for each user. Here are the paths:

Profile \\fileserv\profile$\%username%

Home Folder \\fileserv\users$\%username%

Folder Redirecton:

My Docs \\fileserv\users$\%username%\My Documents

Desktop \\fileserv\redirect$\%username%\Desktop

I've recently redirected my AppData back to the local profile. When logging onto a Windows 7 machine with a domain users I'm seeing the errors below in the application log.

Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection Date: 2/28/2011 1:42:29 PM Event ID: 502 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: User: domain\username Computer: computername.domain.com Description: Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Documents" to "\\fileserv\users$\username\My Documents". Redirection options=0x1211. The following error occurred: "Can not redirect parent into descendant". Error details: "The specified path is invalid.

Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection Date: 2/28/2011 1:42:29 PM Event ID: 502 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: User: domain\username Computer: computername.domain.com Description: Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Startup" to "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp". Redirection options=0x9200. The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"". Error details: "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.

Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection Date: 2/28/2011 1:42:29 PM Event ID: 502 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: User: domain\username Computer: computername.domain.com Description: Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Programs" to "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". Redirection options=0x9200. The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"". Error details: "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.

Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection Date: 2/28/2011 1:42:29 PM Event ID: 502 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: User: domain\username Computer: computername.domain.com Description: Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Start Menu" to "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu". Redirection options=0x9200. The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu"". Error details: "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.

Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection Date: 2/28/2011 1:42:29 PM Event ID: 502 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: User: domain\username Computer: computername.domain.com Description: Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "RoamingAppData" to "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming". Redirection options=0x9221. The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming"". Error details: "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.

Monday, February 28, 2011 10:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

This error occurs usually because Folder Redirection will check to see if the user is the owner of the folder, if only Admin group is owner, the user is not the owner of the folder, and then redirection failed for this reason. So please check the GPO, on the folder redirection policies, uncheck "grant the user exclusive rights to my documents”, restart the workstation to check again.

You could refer to the following link:

Enabling the administrator to have access to redirected folders

Meanwhile, according to your description, it is recommended to look at the following article:

Redirecting the user's Documents folder to their home directory fails when "Grant the user exclusive rights to Documents" is selected

Specify the Location of Folders in a User Profile

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

I am just writing to check the status of this thread. Was the information that I provided in previous reply helpful to you? Do you have any further questions or concerns? Please feel free to let us know.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:58 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Unfortunately I'm still having issues.  Windows 7 workstation reporting, "Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection Date: 2/28/2011 1:42:29 PM Event ID: 502 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: User: domain\username Computer: computername.domain.com Description: Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "RoamingAppData" to "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming". Redirection options=0x9221. The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming"". Error details: "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object"

I've tried the solution listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2493506.  I've Enable both "Grant the user exclusive rights to Documents" and "Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 200 Server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems". When both are enabled then the Synchronization Partnership is successfully created and documents are synchronized between the local profile and the home directory.

But it still gives me the error when redirecting app data to the home directory.

Any other suggestions?

Friday, March 04, 2011 3:50 AM
  • I felt I should give you some more information as well.

The user is the owner of the folder, but I tried your suggestion anyway and it didn't solve my problem.  The home paths are created automatically through AD when applied and the ACL's are set with the user as the owner by default.

Please note, I'm trying to move my AppData back to my home folder instead of being redirected.   

Friday, March 04, 2011 7:57 AM
  • I was able to fix this.  I noticed that my local AppData folder was owned by the local machines Administrator instead of my user.  After changing owner to the user and relogging the folder was redirected back to my home dir.
    Friday, March 04, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know. We are willing to provide help to you.

Have a nice day.

Alex Zhao

Monday, March 07, 2011 1:31 AM