none
VISTA SAYS LAPTOP IS NOT FULLY ACPI COMPLIANT - CANNOT LOAD VISTA

Question

• I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP WITH THIS, I BOUGHT THIS LAPTOP USED.  ITS A TOSHIBA SATELLITE P105 LAPTOP WITH A INTEL DUO CENTRINO 1.6 GHZ WITH 2GB RAM.  THE LAPTOP CAME PRE INSTALLED WITH XP.  I WANTED TO UPGRADE TO VISTA, SO I HAVE AN UPGRADE DVD AND I UPGRADED TO VISTA WITH NO PROBLEMS, I HAD THE SYSTEM UPDATED WITH ALL THE UPDATES AND VISTA SP2.  SO THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED NEXT.  I HAD SOME FRIENDS OVER AND THEY WERE ON THE INTERNET, AND SOMEONE SET A ADMIN PASSWORD AND I DIDDNT REALIZE THIS TIL THE NEXT DAY.

I TRIED FOR HOURS TO ENTER PASSWORDS TO NO AVAIL, I EVEN TRIED A PROGRAM TO CRACK THE PASSWORD AND THAT DIDDNT WORK.  I DID NOT MAKE A PASSWORD RECOVERY CD, SO I COULD NOT RESET THE PASSWORD, SO I HAD NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO REFORMAT AND REINSTALL WINDOWS.  SINCE MY VISTA IS AN UPGRADE, YOU HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER WINDOWS INSTALLATION ON THE COMPUTER, SO I DID NOT HAVE A COPY OF XP THAT I COULD INSTALL, SO I INSTALLED A COPY OF WIN-2000.  AFTER 2000 WAS INSTALLED, I PIT THE VISTA DISK IN TO DO THE UPGRADE AND IT SAID MY LAPTOP WAS NOT FULLY ACPI CONPLIANT.

I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS BECAUSE I ALREADY HAD VISTA INSTALLED WITH NO PROBLEMS WHEN I UPGRADED FROM XP, NOW I CANT UPGRADE FROM WIN-2000.  IF ANYONE HAS A SOLUTION TO THIS I WOULD APPRICIATE THAT.

THANKS

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:13 PM

Answers

• Windows 2000 cannot be upgraded to Vista, therefore, you cannot perform an upgrade.  You'll need to purchase a "Full Retail" version of Windows 7 and perform a "clean install" since Windows Vista is no longer sold.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:09 PM