none
Windows Vista - Black Screen after green loading bar

Question

• Hi All,

So I got my Windows Vista Ultimate and I installed it as a second OS on a brand new SATA drive. It installs perfectly but after reboot it shows the green loading bar, then it goes black and my monitor says that there is no signal.

I could not boot up in Safe Mode, since the installation had not finished, therefore I thought that if I tried removing my graphic card then it might work and BINGO... It booted up perfectly and I could finish the installation (It was using the onboard graphic card). So I removed the preinstalled graphic driver and installed the latest from Nvidia. I then turned of the PC, installed my graphic card again and booted up the PC. It shows the green loading bar and then does the same again....sigh.

If I go into Safe Mode and uninstall the graphic driver from the Device manager and reboot, then it boots up perfectly again and I get the Vista desktop, but graphic options are very limited. After a few seconds the automatic update finds the hardware and installes the integrated Vista graphic driver for this card. If I then reboot I get the black screen again. The same goes if I instead of using the integrated driver I install the new Nvidia driver.

I have tried a lot of things, but none has worked and now I'm hoping that some/one of you guys can give me new ideas on how to solve this issue.

My Graphic card is a Geforce 6600GT AGP.

It is pretty obvious that it must have something to do with the graphic card, but what? I got one more idea that I will test when I get off work. I will see if I can disable the onboard graphic card, it might be a conflict, but I doubt it. It could also be a driver issue, but I'm not sure.

Please help/comment

Thanks.

Monday, February 05, 2007 1:54 PM

Answers

• So I found the solution...

On the Geforce 6600GT AGP graphic card there are 2 outputs, 1 VGA & 1 DVI. I am using the VGA output for my TFT monitor and the DVI for my flatscreen TV (to use MCE on the TV, works like a charm).

Today I was reading through different forums who pops up when I search for a solution to my problem. Well I was reading through this forum and one of the replies, to a thread, was that that this person had the issue, that he/she had 2 outputs and Vista didnt choose the right one. So it just hit me that I was using both outputs on the graphic card, which means that Vista are sending the signal over the VGA output during boot sequence and up and till the Vista green loading bar, but then it switches over to the DVI output. I turned of my PC and took out the cable in the DVI output, booted up my PC and BINGO it worked I got the signal on the TFT screen :D

I have yet to plug in the DVI cable again to see if Vista will remember the settings, next time I reboot...

So for you guys who are experiencing the same problem...

If you are using both outputs on your graphic card, take out one of them.

If you are only using one output, try and switch your monitor cable over to the other output when the screen goes black, after the green loading bar. If you need to switch from VGA to DVI, there should be an adapter, which came with the graphic card, otherwise you can buy them at nealy every computer vendor.

Hope this helps, otherwise feel free to reply and I will gladly try to help.

Best Regards,

T.L.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 10:08 PM

All replies

• Sorry, this isn't advice. But I am getting the exact same problem! And I have a GeForce 6600 myself. I went into safe mode and tried to install the latest drivers from nvidia, but it doesn't help. Something seems to be conflicting.
    Wednesday, February 07, 2007 2:14 AM
  • Actually, you're both suffering from the same widespread malfunction that has been plaguing me for 5 days.

You can take out your GPU's, RAM, and spray paint your PC's green, but that's not going to change the fact that there's some major malfunction with Vista - especially when upgrading from an existing OS.

This isn't your fault!  If you call Tech Support, don't buy into the idea that it's your hardware, your app's, or anything else to do with your existing machine.

It's their screw-up - let them fix it!

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 2:28 AM
  • I know it is not my fault that this is not working. I'm positive that it has something to do with a conflict between Vista and the hardware. But the hardware is nothing fancy nor brand new, so I dont see why it is not supported properly by Vista.

It is getting very frustating, and I'm very close to just buying another graphic card, but on the other side I dont want to spend money on something that is not my fault.

I think I will do what you say Shaunm and let them fix it.

Unless someone comes up with a solution ;)

Regards,

Linnet

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 10:07 AM
  • So I found the solution...

On the Geforce 6600GT AGP graphic card there are 2 outputs, 1 VGA & 1 DVI. I am using the VGA output for my TFT monitor and the DVI for my flatscreen TV (to use MCE on the TV, works like a charm).

Today I was reading through different forums who pops up when I search for a solution to my problem. Well I was reading through this forum and one of the replies, to a thread, was that that this person had the issue, that he/she had 2 outputs and Vista didnt choose the right one. So it just hit me that I was using both outputs on the graphic card, which means that Vista are sending the signal over the VGA output during boot sequence and up and till the Vista green loading bar, but then it switches over to the DVI output. I turned of my PC and took out the cable in the DVI output, booted up my PC and BINGO it worked I got the signal on the TFT screen :D

I have yet to plug in the DVI cable again to see if Vista will remember the settings, next time I reboot...

So for you guys who are experiencing the same problem...

If you are using both outputs on your graphic card, take out one of them.

If you are only using one output, try and switch your monitor cable over to the other output when the screen goes black, after the green loading bar. If you need to switch from VGA to DVI, there should be an adapter, which came with the graphic card, otherwise you can buy them at nealy every computer vendor.

Hope this helps, otherwise feel free to reply and I will gladly try to help.

Best Regards,

T.L.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 10:08 PM
  • I'm glad that worked for you Linnet!  I tried the same thing with my GeForce 7300 card (even physically removing it at one point), but no luck!

Again, I'm happy to read that you've resolved the issue.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 11:21 PM
  • Hi Shaunm,

So besides your GF7300 card your motherboard has integrated graphic card? If  that is the case, have you tried to see if it is disabled in the BIOS?

Thursday, February 08, 2007 7:27 AM
  • Ahh, ok. I fixed my issue. Problem for me was the latest drivers from nvidia. I installed older versions of the driver and everything was fixed. Make sure not to get the update from 'windows update' for the nvidia drivers! The version there is buggy.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 5:09 PM
  • I upgraded to Vista Ultimate. I have a Geforce 7200 card. Everytime I boot up logon the screen stays black for 20 minutes then it comes up. I have been working with Microsoft support for 2 weeks we have taken all the none MS applications off my pc, shut down almost all the services still the same thing. It comes up in safe mode fine. I have uninstalled the drivers ran all sorts of reports etc still no resolution. I have spent at least 25 hours on the phone with Microsoft does anyone have a clue??
    Friday, February 23, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Have found a solution for this without having to change any hardware!
    simply restart your PC (because vista wants to got o safe mode and you have the DVD in teh drive ) use the BIOS boot selector option (normally f8)
    select the HDD that you have installed vista onto then keep F8 pressed.
    Vista will go to the full boot options menu select the low graphics resolution mode and it will start up on the VGA without any problem.

You will have to do this twice as vista installs itself then at the end of the second one you can select the correct screen resolution in the display settings and hey presto vista starts fine

Hope it helps

ND

Sunday, February 25, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Thank you so much, it actually helped to remove the DVI cable from both the moniter and graphics card. I would suggust trying this.

Thanks!!

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:04 AM
  • I cannot even install Windows Vista (Business - Dutch), OEM install from Dell.

It has a GeForce 7300 LE, and it also has a built-in VGA card. That one 's disabled in the BIOS.
    I'm guessing by reading this thread, that it chooses DVI as primary display in my case as well.

Anyone knowing of a solution ? Cause the stores are closed now (saturday evening) and I'd really love to reinstall
    this machine before monday (to buy a VGA-to-DVI adapter)
    I only have a VGA TFT :(

Thanks for any suggestions, the last answer seems to be for the case when Vista is already installed...

Saturday, March 17, 2007 7:46 PM
  • Has anyone tried this? - I'm trying to install Ultimate and using the above method can get as far as "enable low resolution video" but then I get the black screen after green loading bar (again) -I've got a GeForce 6600GT (AGP8X) - Is this a bug with vista or nvidia driver?
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Only works about 1 time in 20 -- Pot Luck - any other solutions?
    Monday, March 26, 2007 8:06 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem. I knew vista was actually loading and even managed to get through adding my name etc (with a totally blank screen) so that I could get to safe mode and uninstall the driver. I could then boot to vista and load the latest nvida drivers. after the next reboot I got the exact same problem. I have tried all the previous versions of Vista nvida drivers since then and nothing makes any difference. Green bar to blank screen to monitor standby.

My card is a nvida 7900gs with two DVI outputs  - I do have both linked up to display devices 1 to a dell 23inch monitor and the other to a video projector. I will disconnect the video projector when I get home and see if that solves my problem. I have literally spent hours trying to sort this out so lets hope it works

Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:59 PM
  • Any more updates on this.  I can boot to safe mode, but I can no longer boot to normal mode.  My Graphics card has 2 DVI outputs... and I only have one display attached.
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:26 AM
  • I recently had this same issue, and the cause is exactly what this thread has been suggesting...switching to an alternate video output.  I called my motherboard manufacturer since I have an onboard Intel Graphics Accelerator X3100, and they said to simply press Ctrl + Alt + F1 after getting the black screen.  I tried it, and it worked perfectly!

SO, TRY PRESSING CTRL + ALT + F1!
    Wednesday, November 07, 2007 2:10 PM
  • I am using a new Toshiba laptop (SP A200) with OEM Vista Business. It was obtained in November 2007 and began booting to black screen on 4 Jan 2008. 

Switching video output did not help. The black screen is simply cycled between the laptop display and the external monitor. Startup repair did not detect any problems. Safe mode also boots to black screen. 

Like others on this forum the solution I had to adopt was reinstalling Vista from the product recovery disk. 
    This reformats the drive and any data that has not been backed up is of course lost.  

After installing the OS I ran MS update and installed all available updates including a driver for the Mobile Intel 945 Express chipset that powers the graphics on the laptop. Following advice in another post I have also installed the latest (Vista specific) BIOS from the Toshiba website in the hope that this will prevent future occurences.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 12:03 AM
  • Thank you very much!!!
    Your post saved my computer!!! 
    My problem started yesterday because of an incompatibility between Nvidia and Windows Vista.
    After deleting the nvidia driver, the monitor was just showing the windows for the safe recovery options (not even the boot screen). I did exactly what you said and I could see again the boot screen and use the safe mode to save my files.
    Now I am trying to fix the nvidia driver...Wish me luck!
    Best regards,
    nitnit   
    Thursday, December 04, 2008 3:09 AM
  •  probably the problem is not with your windows vista OS at all. If your computer Laptop or PC, has a NVIDIA graphic card, it is most likely that your VC is the problem. You see many NVIDIA cards even though they say they are compatible with Vista they aren’t, so when your video card NVIDIA needs to communicate with the OS (like for controlling the fans etc.) your OS does not respond to you VC requests. The best thing to do is to change your NVIDIA card for a newer one or one of a different brand. I fix computer for a living and that is how I fix the windows black screen of Death!!!! For those of you who uses Dell or HP waranty plans you’ll see that what they do is change your video card to resolve this issue or your motherboard if you have a Laptop. If it helps you please leave me a nice comment in my Website macrofix.net
    • Proposed as answer by Draco2032 Sunday, January 04, 2009 8:55 AM
    Sunday, January 04, 2009 8:54 AM
  • I had the exact same problem today and I researched for hours. This is the solution:

There is a video on Youtube that will completely solve this problem. It's called" vista balck screen after log-in fix". I'm guessing he messed in the typing! The video is by llryanguettlerll. Make sure you get the correct video. The song is apparently a jamaican song. I hope you guys find the right video. It was posted on November 24, 2008. He gives you step by step instructions on how to solve this problem! Hope it works!!! It has something to do with the Shell string if you guys want some extra info.
    Monday, March 02, 2009 12:37 AM