none
How to install Foot Pedal in Windows xp mode

General discussion

• I have installed Virtual PC in my Laptop and I was able install USB foot pedal in windows 7, but this is not detected in windows XP mode. Please let me know if there are any changes to be made in windows xp mode or is there any upgrade for the drivers in XP mode.
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:11 PM

All replies

• You actually have to attach the foot pedal to the XP Mode virtual machine, pull down the USB menu and it should be there, then just click on it.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Hi Bob,

I did try that, but the USB in xp mode does show the foot pedal.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:30 PM
  • I can't think of anything else, maybe someone else can say...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 2:32 PM
  • There's already been some discussion on this, notably in

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/w7itprovirt/thread/b6433aeb-2a76-452f-897c-b75b713a83b4

Per Devdeep Singh, "Yes, Virtual PC doesn't allow redirection of HID devices (e.g. mouse and keyboards). "  I don't entirely understand this, since when I run Virtual PC my keyboard and my trackpad still work; only the foot pedal doesn't work.

There's also no clear indication of whether he means that Virtual PC "doesn't allow" this redirection on purpose or because it just can't handle it.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:24 AM
  • Virtual Machine won't do it.

To run Windows XP from within Windows 7 AND have it recognize your USB foot pedal, you need to use VirtualBox:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

VirtualBox is the same concept as Windows VM (running XP from within Windows), but unlike Windows VM, you will need the Win XP CD-ROM (with CD key, of course) as if you normally would to perform a clean installation of Windows. I do medical transcription and need XP as well. I run Win XP using VirtualBox from within Windows 7, and it recognizes my foot pedal fine now.
    Friday, January 07, 2011 4:55 PM