none
The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Question

• I'm having some issues with hibernation and logging off.

I've got some errors in the event log I'm going through but I can't seem to fix this one...

DistributedCOM, EventID 10010
    "The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."

{AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} appears to belong to "Thumbnail Cache Out of Proc Server" DCOM entry. I was hoping I could fix using dcomcnfg.exe but everything is greyed out, even when using the full administrator account. 

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree but I tried to follow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899965/en-us and got stuck due to the lack of permissions to edit so tried to follow http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprosecurity/thread/4f63ee11-e472-40f9-85db-a6b235d7579c but got stuck as I can't find comuid.dl_ on the Windows 7 install disk.

Any other help would be gratefully received.

This PC is connected to a Windows Home Server if that may make any difference.

Sunday, June 06, 2010 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If this error didn’t occur previously, a quick solution is to run System Restore and get back to the previous good status.

If System restore doesn’t help. Please also try the following:

1.    Ensure all updates have been applied on the Windows 7 computer.

2.    Run the following command in an elevated command prompt to check if there is any system file corrupted:

sfc /scannow

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, June 11, 2010 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If this error didn’t occur previously, a quick solution is to run System Restore and get back to the previous good status.

If System restore doesn’t help. Please also try the following:

1.    Ensure all updates have been applied on the Windows 7 computer.

2.    Run the following command in an elevated command prompt to check if there is any system file corrupted:

sfc /scannow

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, June 11, 2010 9:01 AM
  • I'm having some issues with hibernation and logging off.

I've got some errors in the event log I'm going through but I can't seem to fix this one...

DistributedCOM, EventID 10010
    "The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."

{AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} appears to belong to "Thumbnail Cache Out of Proc Server" DCOM entry. I was hoping I could fix using dcomcnfg.exe but everything is greyed out, even when using the full administrator account. 

howdy,

well it might be a fun 4 u 2 read an answer after 3 years of ur post although I yet see quite alot inquiries regarding this damn dcom issue in google w/o any reasonable solution while z folks r usually & naturally approaching this issue from side of z general thumbnail cache (TC) of win7. well, it's a wrong guess unfortunately, so pls don't loose ur time by trying to disable TC in general and/or 2 do this in K-Lite Codec Pack in particular 4 instance.

also it should b mentioned that in my case this issue wasn't 2 much annoying while taking place only during win7 shutdown & restart... but this looks as literally ur case.

anyhow u made z good shot by starting ur study of this case from dcomcnfg command. and it's also good that all changeable fields in properties of this {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} server as accessed here: Administrative Tools > Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config r greyed out. this simply means that its default settings r ok and its owner is TrustedInstaller. otherwise u should do as follows 2 check if its status is default:

I. check if default status

A) 2 search z win7 registry 4 'Thumbnail Cache Out Of Proc Server' w/o quotes. there will be a number of enrties of same two key folders (left panel with no subkeys) in various locations:

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}
    here 4 all found entries z proper permissions must be:
    SYSTEM      - Allow -  Read - NotInherited - This key and subkeys
    Administrators (your pc\Administrators) - Allow -  Read - NotInherited - This key and subkeys
    Users (your pc\Users)    - Allow -  Read - NotInherited - This key and subkeys
    TrustedInstaller   - Allow -  FullControl - NotInherited - This key and subkeys
    and z current Owner must b TrustedInstaller.

{B8A2E14E-290D-4122-B092-1A7D86198CCE}
    Users (your pc\Users)    - Allow -  Read - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    Administrators (your pc\Administrators) - Allow -  FullControl - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    SYSTEM      - Allow -  FullControl - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    CREATOR OWNER     - Allow -  Special - ParentObject - Subkeys only
    and z current Owner must b SYSTEM.   

B) search z Win7 registry 4 '{AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}' w/o quotes. there will be a number of enrties of same two key folders (left panel with 1 subkey folder) in various locations:

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} - it's same as 1st key of item A).
    Administrators (your pc\Administrators) - Allow -  Read - NotInherited - This key and subkeys
    and z current Owner must b TrustedInstaller.

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} - it's with one subkey folder.
    and z current Owner must b TrustedInstaller.

+ subkey folder = InprocServer32 - with same permissions inherited & Owner as Administrators (your pc\Administrators)

NOTE: also while z 2nd search I found z strange key folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SCM:{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}. well it looks normal and not as a rootkit, i.e. there is no all zero values. however, keeping in mind that SCM is likely a Service Control Manager, its purpose & connection to Thumbnail Cache Out Of Proc Server remains unclear. though it seems no problem and then there is a sense 2 leave it as it is including all its permissions etc.

II. Remedy

A) again 2 search z win7 registry 4 'Thumbnail Cache Out Of Proc Server' w/o quotes. there will be a number of enrties of same two key folders (left panel with no subkeys) in various locations:

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}
    and z current Owner must be TrustedInstaller.

IMPORTANT! 2 change OWNER form TrustedInstaller 2 Administrators + allow FullControl 2 Administrators! all other settings remain same!

{B8A2E14E-290D-4122-B092-1A7D86198CCE}
    Users (your pc\Users)    - Allow -  Read - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    Administrators (your pc\Administrators) - Allow -  FullControl - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    SYSTEM      - Allow -  FullControl - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    CREATOR OWNER     - Allow -  Special - ParentObject - Subkeys only
    and z current Owner must be SYSTEM.   

IMPORTANT! all settings here remain same untouched!

B) again 2 search z win7 registry for '{AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}' w/o quotes. there will be a number of enrties of same two key folders (left panel with 1 subkey folder) in various locations:

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} - it's same as 1st key of item A).
    And z current Owner must be TrustedInstaller.

IMPORTANT! 2 change OWNER form TrustedInstaller 2 Administrators + allow FullControl 2 Administrators! all other settings remain same! This was already done earlier in A)!

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} - it's with one subkey folder.
    And z current Owner must be TrustedInstaller.

+ subkey folder = InprocServer32 - with same permissions inherited & Owner as Administrators (your pc\Administrators)

IMPORTANT! 2 change OWNER form TrustedInstaller 2 Administrators (2 TIMES MANUALLY in my case!) + allow FullControl 2 Administrators! all other settings remain same!

C) all settings of a starnge key folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SCM:{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} remain same!

NOTE: here u likely need 2 restart win7 2 see an effect. it's easy 2 check changes when now all fields in properties of this {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} server as accessed here: Administrative Tools > Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config r changeable.

D) 2 set Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config > Thumbnail Cache Out Of Proc Server > Properties > Location > Run application on the following computer to (ur pc root name)!

2 set Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config > Thumbnail Cache Out Of Proc Server > Properties > Identity to u (ur win7 User profile) + ur win7 password!

DONE. restart wn7 & enjoy.

rgds,

p.s. why z hell i can't directly copy & paste links here? there is always some popup error message of some unclear verification of my account needed...

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:12 PM