none
Windows 7 Media Player - Server execution failed

Question

• My PC woes started a few weeks ago - I had RAM issues which I have since solved. However, during the course of trying to diagnose the memory problem, I installed and uninstalled a myriad of programs.

And now my Windows Media Player won't play, while Media Centre crashes if I go to the Music or Video sections (Live TV seems to be fine though). If I start WMP from the taskbar shortcut, the window flashes up briefly before disappearing. If I try to start it by double clicking an audio file, I get the "Server Execution Error" message.

I've tried disabling all media features in the Windows Features section, and then re-enabling. This did not work. Note that iTunes works perfectly , playing the same mp3s that are crashing WMP.

I'd really rather not have to reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate edition just for this one problem...
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm if WMP can load from C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.

To further troubleshooting, please perform the following steps:

Rename the WMP networking information folder

====================================

1. Close Windows Media Player.

2. Click the Start Button, type "%userprofile%\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows Media" (without quotation marks) in the Search Box and press Enter.

3. In the open folder, right-click the folder 12.0 and choose Rename. Rename the folder to 12.0.bak.

Register the WMP components

==================

1. Close Windows Media Player and any other windows.

2. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories

3. Right click "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as administrator", accept the UAC prompt.

4. Type the following commands and press Enter after each line.

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

exit

Set WMP default

===============

1. Click the Start Button, choose Default Program in the right pane.

2. Choose Set your default programs.

3. Click Windows Media Player in the Programs pane.

4. Click Set this program as default, and then click Choose default for this program.

If the issue persists, please try repairing the system as below:

In-Place upgrade (Repair install)

===========

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click the Start Button, type Drive:\setup.exe in the start search box and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:50 AM
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 3:10 AM

All replies

• "Server execution failed" should mean that "wmplayer.exe" is still running or shutting down at that point.  If you check the Processes tab of Task Manager, does it show up there?
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:10 AM
  • Hmm, doesn't appear to be. I click the shortcut to WMP that I've got pinned to my taskbar. A blank window quickly opens and then disappears. I go to Task Manager, Processes, and there's no sign of wmplayer.exe. The only thing similar to this is WMPNetworkSVC (Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service) running in the services tab.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

To troubleshoot this issue, please perform the following steps:

Add Local Service to Administrators group using commands

=================================

1. Click Start Button, type "cmd" in the search bar. The CMD icon will appear in the Start Menu.

2. Right click the CMD icon and click "Run as administrator".

3. In the popup window, type the following command line and press Enter.

NET LOCALGROUP administrators "NT Authority\Local Service" /ADD

You should receive a message “The command completed successfully”.

If the issue persists, try the following steps:

Restart Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type "services.msc" (without quotes) in Start Search box, and press Enter.

2. Double click the service "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service".

3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service.

4. Click OK.

If it has been started, please stop it, restart the computer and then restart the service.

If the issue persists, try Clean Boot mode.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, November 30, 2009 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

To troubleshoot this issue, please perform the following steps:

Add Local Service to Administrators group using commands

=================================

1. Click Start Button, type "cmd" in the search bar. The CMD icon will appear in the Start Menu.

2. Right click the CMD icon and click "Run as administrator".

3. In the popup window, type the following command line and press Enter.

NET LOCALGROUP  administrators  "NT Authority\Local Service" /ADD

You should receive a message “The command completed successfully”.

If the issue persists, try the following steps:

Restart Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type "services.msc" (without quotes) in Start Search box, and press Enter.

2. Double click the service "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service".

3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service.

4. Click OK.

If it has been started, please stop it, restart the computer and then restart the service.

If the issue persists, try Clean Boot mode.

Vivian Xing - MSFT

Hi Vivian

Thanks for your suggestions. I'd already tried the first 2 before posting here (I found them via Googling the problem), and neither worked. I've just tried your third solution, and while it's helped my PC boot up a little bit faster, the WMP problem has not changed. I've also tried the running sfc /scannow, but that didn't work.

I've heard there's a way to downgrade from WMP12 to WMP11? I've also been told to install Windows6.1-KB974817-x86.msu - the person who suggested it hosted the file for me, but it did not work with my 64-bit version of Windows.

Sigh, I'm getting rather annoyed by such a simple problem   =(

Monday, November 30, 2009 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm if WMP can load from C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.

2. Click the Start Button, type "%userprofile%\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows Media" (without quotation marks) in the Search Box and press Enter.

3. In the open folder, right-click the folder 12.0 and choose Rename. Rename the folder to 12.0.bak.

==================

3. Right click "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as administrator", accept the UAC prompt.

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

exit

Set WMP default

===============

4. Click Set this program as default, and then click Choose default for this program.

===========

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

a. Click the Start Button, type Drive:\setup.exe in the start search box and then click OK.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:50 AM
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

When I upgrade to windows 7, I try to downgrade my wmp12 to wmp11, looks ok for a while, I can still play my dvd and some mp3 but I notice that wmp11 will only play mp3 if the file is in  wmp pane but when I double click an mp3 file on my music folder, wmp11 will open but won't play the music,  it gave me an error "Server execution failed", I'm running windows 7 ultimate.....pls. help ..
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 7:07 PM
  • I was having the same problem where if I clicked another media file too soon i would receive the Server Execution Error. After trying everything I finally uninstalled my antivirus software which was McAfee 8.7i. Boom problem gone. To be clear my problem was that I was receiving the server execution error if I didn't wait a couple of seconds between clicking media files. Hope this helps someone out. I have since installed NOD32 as my AV software and all has been good since.
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Simply Great,

Its a superb fix for windows 7 Media Player if you are getting error "server execution failed" it really helped me a lot I was just thinking of Re-Installing windows 7 but this fix helped me to save all my time and Thanks a Lot to VIVIAN XING.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:04 AM
  • I was having the same problem where if I clicked another media file too soon i would receive the Server Execution Error. After trying everything I finally uninstalled my antivirus software which was McAfee 8.7i. Boom problem gone. To be clear my problem was that I was receiving the server execution error if I didn't wait a couple of seconds between clicking media files. Hope this helps someone out. I have since installed NOD32 as my AV software and all has been good since.

I get the same error if I close WMP12 and immediately try to play a video or audio file and I don't use McAfee so the problem is not related to McAfee.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:30 PM
  • After countless hours of reading forums and trying suggested remedies I stumbled across Vivian's and it worked like a charm for me.

I updated sound drivers, disabled the player, etc...Now at 6:15 a.m. I can finally get a good morning rest!!!  Wish I could remember

what started this problem but I can't.  Tell you what though this is my new restore point.   :>)
    Monday, February 22, 2010 2:25 PM
  • Your first solution worked greatly, thank you very much
    "Always there's a room"
    Friday, March 12, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Many Many thanz Vivian.This is one of the best solutions I have come across for any error.Its simple, easy to follow and well in my case a 100% sucess.God Bless.
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Hi,

==================

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

exit

Set WMP default

===============

===========

b. Click Install now.

Vivian Xing - MSFT

Thanks a lot!

It really helps.

I followed your procedure up to setting the default program, combined with restarting the service. Works like a charm.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Your first solution worked greatly, thank you very much
    "Always there's a room"
    What solution is that?
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:12 PM
  • Thanks a lot!

It really helps.

I followed your procedure up to setting the default program, combined with restarting the service. Works like a charm.

What steps did you do from the list to fix it?
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:18 PM
  • Hi,

==================

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

exit

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    WOWWWWWWWWWWW I DID ALL OF THOSE STEPS AND MY WMP12 IS UP AND RUNNING!!!!!!
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:07 AM
  •  

Vivian Xing - MSFT

Hello Vivian, your tips worked but I have to do that all the time.  As soon as I turn my pc off then goes again. 

Any suggestions?  After me doing the cmd then works, but if I restart my pc goes back to server ex fail.

thank you.

Monday, April 05, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Tks you for your info regarding the WMP problem....It worked.....THANK YOU.....
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:07 AM
  • free application Fixwin solved my issue in 1 click

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility

go to "Windows Media" on your left menu and click on the first "Fix". solved my issue right away

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Hi guys,

I'm using a Windows 7 starter version on my netbook and i faced this problem.

Just wanted to inform that the above steps of :

1. Renaming the network information folder;

2. Registering the WMP components ;

3. and setting the WMP defaults(which I really don't think was necessary).

DID THE TRICK !!!

Thanks a lot.

- sandy

• Proposed as answer by Alexjlh Friday, April 15, 2011 9:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alexjlh Friday, April 15, 2011 9:43 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Alexjlh Friday, April 15, 2011 9:49 PM
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 6:39 AM
  • All this mumbo jumbo always makes me nervous.

I seemed to have the same problem: Media player would freeze and if trying to execute a music file would get the server error.

At one point it worked and don't know what actually made it stop.

So what I tried and worked before getting involved in all the busy work above.

Simple:

1. Disable the MP in the windows options, reboot as requested

2. #nable it again.

Result = Satisfactory. All works as expected!

Friday, April 15, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Thank you very much, your suggestion working perfectly. 100% Please follow this, i will give assurance for  this answer. Once again thank you.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 5:24 PM
  • free application Fixwin solved mу issue іn 1 click. ɡο tο “Windows Media” οn уουr left menu аnԁ click οn thе first “Fix”. solved mу issue rіɡht away
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:04 AM
  • I found another great solution.  Download "KMPlayer"...it runs everything flawlessly so far.  Maybe if enough of us stop using there programs Microsoft will quit jerking our chains with programs that don't work.  Seriously?  How can there be so few problems elsewhere yet you people continue to sell us garbage that doesn't work and you can't fix?

Sincerely,

Irate Customer

Thank You for wasting my time!

Friday, September 09, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Hi,

==================

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

exit

Vivian Xing - MSFT

Works just charm. This is a solution to a problem I had been facing for months, I don't know why I didn't stumble upon Vivian's solution!

I didn't need a System Reinstall/Repair to be done.

Registering these WMP Components worked well for me. Another issue that I was facing - about not being able to watch videos that play in WMP plugin in a browser - got fixed too.

Thanks a lot, Vivian Xing!

-----

Nirav

• Edited by Nirav Zaveri Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:40 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:39 AM
  • When I type in the first command: regsvr32 jscript.dll

I get the following error message:  "The module "jscript.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005"

Windows came preinstalled on my computer so I do not have a Windows 7 DVD.

Thank You for your help.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:46 PM
  • slick1203: have you also tried the regsvr32 vbscript.dll command and the other suggestions by Vivian Xing? Another thing that might help is simply rebooting your PC.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:13 PM
  • VIVIAN XING...... AMAZING TUTORIAL... WORKS LIKE A BOSS!!!!!

Monday, November 21, 2011 2:16 PM
  • It accepted regsvr32 vbscript.dll but nothing has changed, WMP still does not work, I have tried all of the suggestions.

I cannot directly pinpoint when it stopped working but I wonder if it had to do with a windows update?  I have no idea.  Any others tips would be greatly appreciated.  

Monday, December 19, 2011 1:43 AM
  • slick1203: I suggest that you try running the Fixit for WMP:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_media_player_diagnostic

Does that help?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:17 PM
  • I know this is an old thread but I am going to reply my answer to this I ran into this situation my self. I browsed around and then started to tinker on my own. I followed a couple of these steps but none of them seemed to work. I took advice from one of the people here.

This is for the Error you get when trying to play Music MP3 or 4 or any format. you get error message: Server Execution Error.

First open Task Manager. To do this in Windows 7 32 bit or 64 Bit Press Ctrl + shift + ESC. Once Task manager is open click the tab called Processes. In there your going to scroll down and look for anything that Says WMP. you should see two of them click them and hit end process.

Try to play your music and see if that works it did for me.

I really do hope that this helps anyone out there that is frustrating with this problem and I hope it fixes it.

I just wanna comment I notice that while reading this form that certain anti virus ware was causing a problem with it, that really rare for an anti virus program not to allow wmp to play. If so you need to make it an exception with your virus program. Depending on what anti virus program your running I cannot tell you how to make in an exception. I run AVG and I love it helps out so much.

Sincerely;

Plutotech

Saturday, January 07, 2012 10:30 AM
  • thank a lot for your answer. thank again Xing

Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Hi Mr.tech.. Thanks for your question.. me too have a same problem.. Your question and their answers had solved my problem.. am feel so happpy... thank u very much....
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Vivian your command prompt solution works, until I reboot! Is there a solution to this problem, apart from reinstalling.

NIK

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:20 AM
  • works great

thnx

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:54 AM
  • I followed the steps you provided for:

>Rename the WMP networking information folder

>Register the WMP components

now the error message is gone, thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!

Monday, August 13, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Hi,

==================

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

exit

Set WMP default

===============

===========

b. Click Install now.

Vivian Xing - MSFT

This worked for me!!

I had this server execution or in swedish "serverkörning misslyckades" in windows media player when  I reopened videos to fast +++++!

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 7:20 PM
  • 1. Click Start, click Accessories,

the right click on Command Prompt

choose "run as administrator",

then type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then hit enter.
    2. Now type exit and hit enter. Now try media player and it should work.

• Proposed as answer by Manoranjith Monday, October 08, 2012 4:24 PM
    Monday, October 08, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Mine also started working after I uninstalled McAfee.
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Tim,

Thanks!  I have been beating my forehead bloody for over a week on this one!

Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:00 AM
  • thanxx...it worked!!

• Proposed as answer by frename Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:37 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by frename Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:38 PM
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 11:49 AM
  • I had this same problem immediately after installing a Norton 360 Premier Edition upgrade and Micosoft updates. I think it was Norton that caused the problem, but I am not positive..

Does anyone know how to fix Norton for this problem?

• Proposed as answer by frename Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by frename Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:49 PM
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:48 PM
  • I found a great solution to this problem at the following location. The fix is automatic and works great.

technet would not allow pasting of the link to support at the microsoft support fixit website; then choose Win Media Player

look for the Run Now Button

Automatically repair Windows Media Player problems when the player doesn’t start, streaming doesn’t work or when you cannot browse or search for media.    

support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_media_player_diagnostic/

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:52 PM
  • I have tried all the above solutions without benefit. There are likely multiple problems which cause the same error. My symptoms: intermittent WMP hang for 60 sec, resulting in "server execution failed". This happens when rapidly playing different video files using WMP. If I delay several seconds between videos it happens less frequently. It happens with various video types, including .mts, .mov, and .avi.

In my case it is definitely related to Microsoft Security Essentials. When I disable MSE real-time protection, the WMP error never happens. Some other users report similar behavior with other AV software. This implies a bug in WMP or a related code path which is triggered by the AV software.

The semi-random nature implies a timing window or race condition. Upon a file open API call, most AV software will scan the file before allowing the program to open it. The small delay could be triggering the WMP behavior, or possibly the AV software doesn't release the file before WMP tries to open it, then WMP doesn't handle it gracefully.

There are many dozen threads on this problem the past several years. A MS Escalation Support Engineer with access to source code should examine this and find what is causing the problem. If there is a wide code path "fan in" to raising this error, they need to add instrumentation code in a debug build, replicate the problem and find what's causing it. Actually this should have been done two years ago.

In the meantime my solution is using VLC Media Player: http://www.videolan.org/

System info:

Windows 7 Home Edition SP1 64-bit
    Motherboard: EVGA P55 FTW (A72 BIOS)
    CPU: quad-core Intel i7-875K @ 4.01Ghz, hyperthreading on, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 12800
    System disk: 1TB Velociraptor, 10k rpm SATA
    Data disk: 2 x 2TB WD Caviar Black, 7200 rpm SATA, RAID 0, driver=Intel RST ver. 12.6.0.1033
    Video: EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX-660 2GB, driver: 9.18.13.2018 (320.18)
    Browser: Chrome 27.0.1453.116, FireFox 21.0, IE 10.0.9200.16618

WMP 12.0.7601.17514

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:50 PM
  • tried all, still giving me the error
    Friday, June 28, 2013 6:52 AM
  •      it happens on my Windows 8  system too.   this is a mess !    :(        freedom6750
    Saturday, July 13, 2013 10:13 PM
  • this the first time for me in 12 yrs.
    Saturday, July 13, 2013 10:15 PM
  • I've tried for weeks to fix this and followed every instruction but to no avail.  Today i download the MicrosftFix and it worked like a dream. 

I am so relieved. :D

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:42 PM
  • I had tried all the solutions on this page until I found this solution to try Microsoft Fix It. This absolutely fixed the problem. I wish this solution had been the first one offered!
    Friday, January 24, 2014 3:55 AM
  • Thank you!!

I restarted that service and after that it was working perfectly!! :D

You make my day good!

Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:44 AM