none
Failure configuring windows updates, reverting changes. Unable to log on.

Question

• I've seen a ton of these threads but all the advice seems to be "do this thing on your computer" and as the issue is the screen is stuck on "Failure configuring windows updates, reverting changes" and I am unable to get past it to log in, that advice isn't all that relevant to me.

My laptop was hard reset in the middle of trying to shut down for updates because the battery was low and it became fully depleted before I noticed. It was stuck on "preparing to configure windows, don't turn off your computer" for about 6 hours. So I tried rebooting it in safe mode. When it loaded it said the same thing, then rebooted its self and brought its self back into normal mode, this time displaying "Failure configuring windows updates, reverting changes. Don't turn off your computer". It's been 3 hours now. Do I just wait it out...?

Acer Timeline X notebook computer, windows 7 64bit.

As an aside: Lol I guess I should get a mac...?

Sunday, April 15, 2012 4:28 AM

Answers

• I suggest you attempt a boot recovery/repair. Do you have the original install disc?

No need to reinstall the OS yet, but if you have the CD you can repair the files that are causing the boot loader to fail, this may be installed on the HDD by the manufacturer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

The System Recovery Options menu contains several tools, such as Startup Repair, that can help you recover Windows from a serious error. This set of tools is on your computer's hard disk and on the Windows installation disc.

And no, this is not a good enough reason to switch to mac!  ;)

Sunday, April 15, 2012 3:18 PM

All replies

• I suggest you attempt a boot recovery/repair. Do you have the original install disc?

No need to reinstall the OS yet, but if you have the CD you can repair the files that are causing the boot loader to fail, this may be installed on the HDD by the manufacturer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

The System Recovery Options menu contains several tools, such as Startup Repair, that can help you recover Windows from a serious error. This set of tools is on your computer's hard disk and on the Windows installation disc.

And no, this is not a good enough reason to switch to mac!  ;)

Sunday, April 15, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

You can enter System Recovery Console, then perform system restore.

When starting computer, please keep pressing F8, then select Repair Your Computer.  

Meanwhile, you can open Command Prompt in System Recovery, then run the following command for a test.

DISM /Image:C:\test\offline /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions

More information

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744311(v=ws.10).aspx

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by unga amissi Monday, August 27, 2012 5:34 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 9:09 AM
  • for me this helped:

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\ cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
    attrib -s -h * 
    del *.blf 
    del *.regtrans-ms 

reboot, then try again.

• Edited by ®win Monday, May 07, 2012 2:35 PM
    Monday, May 07, 2012 2:34 PM
  •  I kept getting the same message

failure configuring windows update reverting to original

I searched for 3 days and got a lot of terrible advice. I finally found an answer that was simple and took 60 seconds. Instead of writing more to explain, watch the screencast video I made showing  how I fixed the problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-CMlbFsm9A

This worked for me and I didn't have to reformat or reboot or reconfigure or all the other baloney everyone was telling me. Hope this worked for you.

regards,

Robb Moffett

Monday, September 24, 2012 10:24 PM
  • I have an HP Pavilion g6 1201ev with Windows 7 x64 Premium Edition installed.

I was stuck on Microsoft updates several times and was forced to format and reinstall the OS to prevent further damages until I found the trick.

If for any reason Windows Update freezes during an MSU install, do the following:

1. Hold the power button and force the computer to shut down.

2. Restart your computer and press F8.

3. Boot Windows in Safe Mode with Network support.

4. After Windows Update reverts changes, restart the OS normally and reinstall the failed updates.

5. Done!

For those who are sick about seeing failed Windows Updates, open a command prompt with admin rights and type these instructions:

CD\
    net stop wuauserv
    del %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log
    net start wuauserv

or create a batch file and run it.

You can hide the ReportingEvents.log file if you are worry about a failed update report.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:38 PM
  • After a month of following all sorts of advice from MS and others without success your solution worked. It should be publicised more widely. You are a saviour.
    Friday, October 19, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Thank you for the feedback muwonge, which solution resolved your issue ?
    • Proposed as answer by Copperhog Saturday, October 26, 2013 5:23 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Copperhog Saturday, October 26, 2013 5:23 AM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 5:16 PM
  • I have had this issue for a number of months but never noticed it as my machine rebooted during the night and always thought it was updated. When I finally found out it was only installed non KB related updates, I had 20 KB updates that would install and then when rebooting would revert to original.  Like everyone else read many articles, some telling me about safe mode and then windows update but as windows update doesn't run in safe mode what a waste of time.  The one that fixed it for me was a clean boot using msconfig.

Go to Start > Run > "MSConfig"

Uncheck the "load startup items"

Go to Services

Check "Hide all Microsoft Services"

Click "disable all"

you can at the same time clear the windows update log so you only see the latest updates, go to a command prompt type

net stop wuauserv
    del %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log
    net start wuauserv

Restart and then go through Windows Update it should say this has not been run and you will have ** amount of updates, go through the normal update process and upon reboot, hopefully you will have all updates correctly installed.  It worked for me

Best of Luck.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 5:29 AM
  • Thank you very much

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 5:52 PM
  • I had this same problem and after combing different sites, I came across this comment on reddit.comand it worked for me.thought I should share it too. It goes: Hello! I just found the solution for this problem. Many times I could solve this by renaming SoftwareDistribution but the problem kept coming back and eventually the fix stopped working. After many months I realized that it could be related to the fact that windows identifies my main internet connection as a "metered connection" for some reason, but I didn't realize you could change that. Once I did it the problem was totally solved. If that's the case with you or anyone in the forum this is the way to fix it: Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.) Tap or click Network, and then tap or click Connections. Tap or click the connection you want to change, and then, under Data usage, turn Set as a metered connection off.
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:29 PM
  • My computer is stuck on the Failure configuring Windows updates also, one problem is I can't get to the start or home page, it won't go back. What do I do?

Friday, August 15, 2014 2:47 PM