none
Got this error "NTLDR is missing" after applying image

Question

• I installed Windows 7 enterprise on one PC(clean install), and there is only one partition(no 100MB partition). After running sysprep, I grabbed the image with ImageX. But when I applied this image to the other PC, it didn't boot into windows. I got this error instead "NTLDR is missing".

So I have to boot with Win 7 repair disk and have to fix mbr (using bootsect in command prompt) every time. Is there any way to solve this problem?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:27 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your help, I used Clonezilla and it worked fine.
    • Marked as answer by jashan Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:24 PM
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:24 PM

All replies

• NTLDR is missing:

How to Boot to the System Recovery Options in Windows 7:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Open the Command Prompt and enter:
    bootrec  /FixMbr 
    Bootrec  /FixBoot
    Bootrec  /RebuildBcd 

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot
    and repair startup issues in Windows Vista and Windows 7:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

system recovery options in Windows 7:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:38 PM
  • Hi Stuart, I already mentioned in my question that I am able to fix this issue using bootsect from Windows DVD. But i have to do it on each and every PC. I am looking for a permanent solution to avoid this problem. 

Thanks and please read my question before answering.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Do you see a folder named C:\Boot and files named: bootmgr and ntldr ? 

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:47 PM
  • No c:\Boot folder and other files, but there is a folder C:\Windows\Boot
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:08 PM
  • Do you have "Show hidden files aand folders" fully enabled in Windows Explorer?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:38 PM
  • There is C:\Boot and bootmgr but no ntldr on C: drive
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Try this:

a) Insert the Windows 7 System Repair DVD or Installation DVD and reboot.

b) Select the correct keyboard input method and click ‘Next’.

Note: If you are using the Windows7 Install DVD then at the 'Install Now' prompt (Do not pick the Install Now option) instead choose the 'Repair your computer' option located in the lower left of the display.

c) The System Repair tool will search for a valid operating system and will report that “Windows found problems with your computer’s startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer?”

d) Click ‘Repair and restart’ and reboot again to the Windows 7 System Repair environment.

e) Click ‘Next’ at the keyboard selection prompt and when the ‘System Recovery Options’ screen appears verify that the “Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows” is selected.

f) Now from the menu list select the ‘Command Prompt’ option.

g) At the DOS prompt type the following three commands:

bootrec.exe  /fixmbr

bootrec.exe  /fixboot (may return an 'Eliment not found' message)

bootrec.exe  /RebuildBcd

h) Close the command prompt window and click the ‘Startup Repair’ option.

i) The repair process may take some time, so wait until the process completes at which point you will see two messages “Windows cannot repair this computer automatically” and “Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically”.

Note: Please perform step j as detailed below, startup repair must be run multiple times (At least 3 times).

J) Close this message window by clicking on the X in the upper right corner of the Send/Don’t send window. Next click on the ‘View advanced options for system recovery and support’ option and from the main menu once again click ‘Startup Repair’. This time the repair process may only that a few seconds and when prompted “Startup Repair could not detect a problem”, click ‘Finish’  and run the ‘Startup Repair’ option one more time, click ‘Finish’, and then remove the System Repair DVD and click ‘Restart’.  Reboot the computer.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Well thats what I am doing right now. But I am applying this image on new PC's on larger scale. So I don't want to repeat these steps on every one of them. I need a permanent solution to his problem.

I will repeat my problem again. I captured the image from a host computer after running sysprep. But when I apply this image to other computers, I get the error "NTLDR is missing". I am able to fix it by booting from Win 7 System Repair CD and run the commands to fix MBR in Command Prompt and this thing works each and every time. But I don't want to spend any time to fix this problem on each and every problem coz I am deploying this image on a larger scale. So I need a permanent solution for this so that I just apply the image on new PC and it will ready to go.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

From your description, this is caused by the problematic image, I suggest do another image to deploy.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 02, 2012 3:33 AM
  • NTLDR or Ntdetect.com files are not present on the active partition

1.Start the machine from Windows installation CD;

(!) You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS to let the machine boot from CD.

2.At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the Windows installation using Recovery Console;
    3.Type the number that corresponds to the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press Enter. E.g., type 1, and then press Enter;
    4.Type the Administrator password, and then press Enter;
    5.Type the following commands: cd ..
    dir /p
    6.Check if NTLDR and Ntdetect.com files are listed in the root of the drive. If the files are present, then please proceed to Boot.ini file is corrupt or points to incorrect partition. If these files are not present, proceed with the steps below;
    7.Type map and then press Enter;
    8.Note the drive letter that is assigned to the CD\DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows CD;
    9.Type the following commands: copy [drive]:\i386\ntldr [letter]:\
    copy [drive]:\i386\ntdetect.com [letter]:\

where [drive] is the drive letter of your CD\DVD-ROM drive and [letter] is a letter of the drive Windows is installed on.

Press Enter after you issue each of the two commands.

If you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y, and then press Enter.

10.Reboot the machine.
    Windows should be bootable now. If it is not, please proceed to Boot.ini file is corrupt or points to incorrect partition.

Boot.ini file is corrupt or points to incorrect partition
    1.Start the machine from Windows installation CD;

(!) You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS to let the machine boot from CD

2.At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the Windows installation using Recovery Console;
    3.Type the Administrator password, and then press Enter;
    4.Issue the following command:

Bootcfg /rebuild

This command will find the existing Windows installations and add the necessary strings to boot.ini.

5.At Enter Load identifier enter any name for the found operating system;
    6.When you are prompted for OS Load options type fastdetect and press Enter;
    7.Reboot the machine and choose the just added operating system from boot menu.
    Windows should be bootable now.
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:07 AM
  • hi, Louis

is  your solution for XP? It maybe  can't  use for WIN 7. Stuar's is correct.

I agree with Alex' s suggestion, renew the image should be better.

Thursday, February 02, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

From your description, this is caused by the problematic image, I suggest do another image to deploy.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Hi Alex, I tried two times, but it was same both times "NTLDR is missing".
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:18 PM
  • Thanks for your help, I used Clonezilla and it worked fine.
    • Marked as answer by jashan Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:24 PM
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:24 PM