none
No Bootable Device After Attempt to Repair Windows Startup Problem

Question

• I have been reading all over the internet about my certain problem, but can't seem to find the precise answer to it. I'd like to think I'm rather computer savvy but this one has me stumped as I am an XP Pro user.

My girlfriend was on her computer, and suddenly Firefox stopped working for her. So as she loaded up Internet Explorer and as her page was loading, the computer froze. After shutting it down improperly, her windows stopped working. After a long time, it would load to the "Windows" loading screen, and freeze, eventually shutting down and restarting. I tried using f8 and going to the repair center, but that wouldn't work. I then tried all the safe modes, which froze. After that I tried every other option in the f8 troubleshooting mode, and none would load.

After that I acquired the Windows 7 Recovery Disc. It worked, slowly, and as I got to the "System Recovery Options" screen where you choose your OS, I clicked on Windows 7 and continued. From there I did the "Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool," as I assumed she had used up too much space on her hard drive for windows to load. It took nearly 6 hours to finish. Once it finished, it told me to restart, and it would either be fixed, or I would have to run more diagnostics.

After I restarted the computer, without the recovery disc (checking to see if it would work), I was prompted with "no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key." It seems the memory diagnostic tool managed to make the hard drive and OS invisible to the bios. I then put the recovery disc back in, and as I got to the screen where you choose the OS, there was nothing there.

From there I clicked on "Load Drivers" and was prompted with "insert the installation media for the device and click ok to select the driver." I found out soon you can just press next to get to the main screen, but most of the diagnostics don't work when an OS is not chosen.

She has an HP Pavillion Dv4 with Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

What I'm wondering is, did she take up too much space on the hard drive for it to function (I was guessing this because everything takes a very long time to load), is the hard drive fried from overheating, or is there a way for my bios to recognize the hard drive, fix the problem, and have a functional computer again?

I have tried many times to run the recovery tools, but without a file to select the driver, I feel like it's a useless matter.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have, I really hope it's savable.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 2:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try the System Restore to restore the system to a working state.

The following link for your reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927525 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, May 30, 2011 9:14 AM
  • From your post, it really sounds like her hard drive is going bad.

When you see errors like "no bootable device", those are coming from the BIOS -- before the computer ever makes it into Windows. A failing hard drive can also cause sluggishness, freezing, and corruption; problems you've had.

You can run a hard drive test to confirm, when the drive is showing. But be warned, running a test which checks every sector can push a failing drive over the edge. Hitachi has a free bootable diagnostic tool called DFT:

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:03 AM

All replies

• Try hitting f10 or f11 during boot and see if you get a recovery option.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:16 AM
  • I tried those, and from my knowledge, they didn't work. Perhaps I didn't do it at the right time, I will try again

I recently tried the "startup repair" option from the recovery disc, and got this message:

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name: Startup Repair Offline

Problem Signature 01: 0.0.0.0

Problem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: 0

Problem Signature 05: unknown

Problem Signature 06: 1

Problem Signature 07: unknown

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Sunday, May 29, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

Please try the System Restore to restore the system to a working state.

The following link for your reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927525 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, May 30, 2011 9:14 AM
  • From your post, it really sounds like her hard drive is going bad.

When you see errors like "no bootable device", those are coming from the BIOS -- before the computer ever makes it into Windows. A failing hard drive can also cause sluggishness, freezing, and corruption; problems you've had.

You can run a hard drive test to confirm, when the drive is showing. But be warned, running a test which checks every sector can push a failing drive over the edge. Hitachi has a free bootable diagnostic tool called DFT:

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:03 AM