none
Windows 7 32-bit to 64-bit upgrade

Question

• I will be getting a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 Laptop, and it has only 3gb's of DDR2 RAM, so it comes with Windows 7 32-bit, but I want more RAM, and I was going to add 2gb's more, so i could run 64-bit. Does anyone know any way I could upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit? And if not, will the computer recognize the two extra gig's of RAM and use them, and still run 32-bit ok? Because I heard that the computer needed 3gb's of ram for 32-bit, and even if you added more RAM to it the computer wouldn't recognize it and would just run on the 3gb's already installed. I would really like an answer!
    Monday, November 02, 2009 12:17 AM

Answers

• Hello,

There's no way to do an upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows.  You would need to do a clean install (which would mean you'd need to backup all of your data and reinstall all of your applications).

The computer would use a little less than 4GB of RAM with only a 32-bit version of Windows 7, not all 6GB.  Some of that would likely be consumed by the integrated video card.

Not really a worthwhile upgrade if you're sticking with the 32-bit version of Windows.  You should see if you can get it preinstalled with a 64-bit version of Windows 7 instead.
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Monday, November 02, 2009 12:55 AM
  • Hi BlargeMan,

As Mark said, if you would like to install Windows 7 x64 bit over x32 version, you need perform a clean installation.

Regarding the recommended System Requirements for Windows 7, please refer to this thread: Windows 7 min. system requirements.

As to the RAM in x32 bit version operating systems, if you have more than 4GB RAM, it will only recognized a portion of the physical 4GB of RAM (ranges from 2.75GB to 3.5GB depending on the devices installed, motherboard's chipset & BIOS). If you would like to know more information about this, please refer to this website.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

In addition, before you install Windows 7, it is recommended running Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the potential issues.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, November 02, 2009 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hello,

There's no way to do an upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows.  You would need to do a clean install (which would mean you'd need to backup all of your data and reinstall all of your applications).

The computer would use a little less than 4GB of RAM with only a 32-bit version of Windows 7, not all 6GB.  Some of that would likely be consumed by the integrated video card.

Not really a worthwhile upgrade if you're sticking with the 32-bit version of Windows.  You should see if you can get it preinstalled with a 64-bit version of Windows 7 instead.
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Monday, November 02, 2009 12:55 AM
  • Hi BlargeMan,

As Mark said, if you would like to install Windows 7 x64 bit over x32 version, you need perform a clean installation.

Regarding the recommended System Requirements for Windows 7, please refer to this thread: Windows 7 min. system requirements.

As to the RAM in x32 bit version operating systems, if you have more than 4GB RAM, it will only recognized a portion of the physical 4GB of RAM (ranges from 2.75GB to 3.5GB depending on the devices installed, motherboard's chipset & BIOS). If you would like to know more information about this, please refer to this website.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

In addition, before you install Windows 7, it is recommended running Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the potential issues.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, November 02, 2009 8:55 AM
  • I upgraded from Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 32 bit. The Windows 7 upgrade came with 2 discs, a 32 bit and 64 bit. I tried to install the 64 bit but got an error message. So I just went ahead and installed the 32 bit. But now reading this, how do I do a fresh install? I put in the 64 disc and I get the error message still, do I have to do it through BIOS? P.S. I ran the advisor before I installed Windows 7 32bit and it said my system was capable to install either bit.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 8:56 PM
  • You'd need to boot off the DVD.  You might have to change the boot settings in your BIOS to look at the DVD drive first, then your hard drive.  But I think most systems are set up this way these days.

When you first power on your machine, there may also be a message that says "Press <some function key> for boot options".  The function key used is usually different on different makes of PC's.  You can press that key and then select to boot from the DVD drive.

Just like when you moved from XP 32-bit to Win7 32-bit, this will be a completely clean install.  None of your applications or data files will be on the drive after you complete the install.  Make sure you have a backup copy of everything that's important to you before you try this.

Friday, December 25, 2009 9:30 PM
  • hello..when i start my new pc (Toshiba Qosmio F60) in window 7...i choose 32 bit ,,but i already create a recover disk...if i reformat my pc with my recover disk...can i choose to 64 bit and what i wan..pls answer me..thx  for help!!
    Monday, January 24, 2011 10:34 AM
  • Check the Toshiba site for hardware motherboard drivers etc need to be up to date is the Architecture 64 bit on the board  is the processor dual core or AMD? Check the site for Windows 7 compatibility?  Toshiba site should have support there for Windows 7 64 bit installs be sure to back up all your data and Photos Microsoft one drive will backup a lot of files there if you have outlook hotmail account? 

http://support.toshiba.com/

Direct link for your model
    http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2439388
    Friday, June 20, 2014 10:06 PM