none
Vista cannot communicate with Lexmark P4350 printer

Question

• I recently installed Windows Vista on my PC and downloaded the new drivers for my Lexmark P4350 printer.  Installation went fine until I tried to print the test page.  I received the message "Cannot communicate with the printer."  I followed all troubleshooting steps (disconnected USB cable, disconnected power cable, turned power to printer off, checked firewall settings, rebooted computer).  Contacted Lexmark tech support.  Went through the same trouble shooting steps with the techie with no luck.  We then did a complete uninstall, redownload, and reinstall of the new drivers.  Still no luck.  Thought my USB cable might be the culprit.

On a lark, I connected the printer to my Windows Vista laptop, downloaded and installed the drivers, and wouldn't you know, it worked like a charm.  That's all well and good, but I don't want to trash a perfectly functioning and fairly new all-in-one and spend money on a Vista certified printer.  Any suggestions on how to get it working on my PC?
    Thursday, January 01, 2009 5:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This behavior can be caused by your security programs. It may blocked some components when you install the driver, or it may blocked the communication between the system and the printer driver.

I suggest that you remove the printer again, temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall and reinstall the driver.

The following steps can be referred when you remove the printer.

Remove printer

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

2. Find the icons which are related to Lexmark P4350, and delete them.

3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".

4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.

5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

6. Try to remove all related printer software.

Additionally, please check if your driver is downloaded from the following website.

http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/sequentialem/home/0,6959,204816596_1019285789_0_en,00.html

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Before reinstalling the driver, I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall. After reinstalling, check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, I suggest that you change the USB port. If the printer is connected via a USB hub, please bypass the hub and directly connect the printer to the USB port on the motherboard.

Hope it helps.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, January 02, 2009 8:30 AM