none
Windows 7 (build 7600) freezes and restarts randomly

Question

• Hi,

I was fortunate enough to get a Windows 7 Launch Party (which I am very excited about).  I built a new computer (Core i7 860, MSI P55M-GD45, 4GB Mushkin CAS 8 DDR3-1600) around my new Windows 7 copy.  However, Windows randomly freezes and occasionally restarts on its own.  I have had it up for 20 min at the most.  I have tried a reformating and installing fresh twice now.  BSODs that I have occasionally seen at freeze up include references to MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and ...IRQL.  Also, I am not sure if it is related, but I cannot install the stability update released on October 13.  It is identified as being already installed, although it does not show up in the list of installed updates, and remains available on Windows Update.  Any help would really be appreciated so that the Launch Party can go smoothly.  Thanks,

Jon
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:56 AM

Answers

• Hello Jon,

First of all, remove all unnecessary hardware devices from the computer, try entering Windows safe mode to test whether it is a third-party software/hardware compatibility issue. If so, please download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the reason for the issue. If the issue is caused by some incompatible driver, you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

If you still get the BSOD error after installing the latest driver, please understand that Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 03, 2009 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:15 AM

All replies

• Hello Jon,

First of all, remove all unnecessary hardware devices from the computer, try entering Windows safe mode to test whether it is a third-party software/hardware compatibility issue. If so, please download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check the reason for the issue. If the issue is caused by some incompatible driver, you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

If you still get the BSOD error after installing the latest driver, please understand that Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 03, 2009 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Hi Jon,

Are there files in %systemroot%\minidump (e.g. c:\windows\minidump) with timestamps that match the bugchecks?  If so, can you put a few of them into a password-protected ZIP file, and upload the ZIP file some where like Windows Live SkyDrive?  Then privately share the location and the password with those you would have inspect the contents.  My email address is in my profile.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:21 AM
  • Have you try running memtest?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:09 PM
  • Thanks for the help.  I have not run memtest yet, but I have used Windows 7's built in memory test.  I have also tried changing my RAM, switching around the sticks, only using one of them, etc.  I also am inclined to believe (as Andy does) that it is likely a driver issue.  I will keep at it and see if I can figure something out.  I may do a fresh install again...  In the meantime, and other suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Can you provide the crash dumps, as indicated?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:51 AM
  • Ok , i have encountered the same problem on the same 32 bit build of 7600 ultimate , I am inclined to believe it is the nvidia driver's for my graphics card ... being that when i run in safe mode with networking everything runs smoothly , so i was wondering if anyone had any further idea's on what it could be ... or of a possible fix : ie: downgrading to stable xp drivers for the this older nvidia card or what ?

thanks in advance,.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:32 PM