none
AOL Install Problems

Question

• I have managed successfully log on to AOL using the AOL 9.0VR disc and have a stable connection.  However, I am left with two niggling problems:  1)  when I exit AOL I get the following error message: "aol/connectivity Error code 10  2) AOL's on-line support suggested I could fix the problem using their "computer check-up" and "one-click fix" programmes, but when I try to download/run these programmes I get the message that they are incompatible with Vista.  I can live with both problems, but would prefer not to!  Any ideas out there?

Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:55 PM

All replies

• Honestly, and I don't mean to sound like a troll, but the real question is: Why are you using AOL?

AOL probably will never be compatible with Vista.  It's barely compatible with XP.  AOL likes to have complete control of the system.  Also, it has gotten completely bloated over the years.  The extra "security" programs that they add are not only a nuisance, but will most likely cause more problems.  I don’t even want to imagine how UAC works with them.

Really, AOL is just a mess.  And, you don’t really need them at all.  If you have broadband, AOL doesn’t provide your broadband service, your cable or phone company does (depending if you have cable or DSL).  You can still keep your AOL email address, and use AIM even if you don’t subscribe to them.  Ultimately, you are paying them to use their unstable ad-ware and malware infested software.  Just use IE or Firefox.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:55 PM
  • AOL recently added something that crashed on my system too. Not everyone on AOL is on it by choice. I have a 65 year old mom that uses my acount to dial up for free. And it lets me monitor my kids activeity and control it for free. Also gives me free McAfee (which is ghetto) but better paying $50 a year. My wife also is too lame to learn how to use simple software applications just like most users. I use the website myself.

If you don't have a solution don't reply with useless dribble. Mine worked fine till the update. Never had a problem. In fact it worked better than MSN and any other provider I used period - end of story. If your too incompetent to troubleshoot then lay off the keyboard.  

Sunday, December 09, 2007 6:35 AM
  • I forgot all about this post.

AOL recently added something that crashed on my system too. Not everyone on AOL is on it by choice. I have a 65 year old mom that uses my acount to dial up for free. And it lets me monitor my kids activeity and control it for free. Also gives me free McAfee (which is ghetto) but better paying $50 a year. My wife also is too lame to learn how to use simple software applications just like most users. I use the website myself.

AVG and Avast! are free anti-virus solutions that are way better than McAffe, and consume far less system resources.  While it is true that AOL does give you those features (badly), it also includes the following: adware, spyware, viruses, system instability, spam, many headaches, slow performance, slow downloads, disconnects, and lack of productivity.  I'm very sure that other ISPs will allow your mom to dial-in for free with your account.  As for parental web filtering, go to Google, and search for "parental web filtering" and examine what pops up.  As a matter of fact, I believe this feature is built right in to Vista: here  and here.  It also allows you to view their web history and see exactly what they did while they were logged in.

Never had a problem. In fact it worked better than MSN and any other provider I used period - end of story.

You do have a problem because AOL made a new update that is causing problems (like that's a suprise).

Being an IT person, I can tell you that every single AOL system that I have ever dealt with has had many, many problems.  And, they all stem off of AOL's bloat/badware.  Furthermore, my aunt has AOL on dial-up, and whenever I'm on it, I can't use the system for more than 20 minutes without it disconnecting for some unknown reason.  I know it may seem like I'm trolling, but I'm really trying to help you get a (much) better computing experience.
    Sunday, December 09, 2007 3:39 PM