none
Vista Task Scheduler task image is corrup

Question

• When I launch the task scheduler I receive the following error message.

The task image is corrupt or has been tampered

with. User_Feed_Synchronization-{5DEE3F5E-5F26-417D-8F9B-7C04BD17

9990}

I am unable to see what tasks have been launched and it appears that task scheduler is no longer launching tasks.

Thanks

Don

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 4:07 AM

Answers

•  DHallacy wrote:

When I launch the task scheduler I receive the following error message.

9990}

I am unable to see what tasks have been launched and it appears that task scheduler is no longer launching tasks.

Thanks

Don

Don

This is a common problem with that RSS feed synchronization task. Here is the fix.

Open the Task Scheduler.

On the View Menu, select the 'Show Hidden Tasks' option.

In the left side menu, select 'Task Scheduler Library'.

In the Center section, right click the   'User_Feed_Synchronization'   task and select Delete.

Exit the Task Scheduler.

Next, select Start / Accessories. Right click 'Command Prompt' and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.

Click 'Continue' on the UAC prompt.

In the command window, type the following command.

msfeedssync enable

Press ENTER.

This command will replace and refresh the 'User_Feed_Synchronization' task.

This will not affect the RSS Feeds you are subscribed to.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:36 PM

All replies

•  DHallacy wrote:

When I launch the task scheduler I receive the following error message.

9990}

Thanks

Don

Don

This is a common problem with that RSS feed synchronization task. Here is the fix.

Open the Task Scheduler.

In the Center section, right click the   'User_Feed_Synchronization'   task and select Delete.

Exit the Task Scheduler.

Next, select Start / Accessories. Right click 'Command Prompt' and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.

msfeedssync enable

Press ENTER.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:36 PM
  •  Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:

Open the Task Scheduler.

Exit the Task Scheduler.

msfeedssync enable

Press ENTER.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!  I had read multiple web pages which talked about editing or removing the User_Feed_Synchronization task in Task Scheduler, but even with hidden tasks enabled, mine was not being displayed, though I was getting the cited error message and my feeds were not updating.  But you are the first person I have seen mention the msfeedssync command, and sure enough, that command resolved the problem.

Thanks again.
    • Proposed as answer by stevala Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:41 AM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Jon

That's great, I'm glad this helped. 

Have fun.

-----------------------------------

Ronnie Vernon

Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Ronnie,

Are you able to help?

I have had an issue under windows 2008 SP2 where tasks I have created have become corrupt. They seem to work fine for a number of days/weeks and then stop working when you go to investigate and open up Task Scheduler you get the message as described above. This has happen across a number of servers within our enviroment, do you know what causes this issue?

I'm happy with the resolution but would perfer to find what the cause is as schedule tasks are heavily used to monitor different appications within our environment.

Thanks

Andrew
    • Proposed as answer by marylc Friday, February 26, 2010 10:31 PM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 2:20 AM
  • Ronnie I have the same problem with windows 7 on my 32 bit toshiba laptop.  Will your answer solve my problem too!  I'm using window 7 and I think he mentioned he had vista.  Thanks in advance. I also get windows backup did not complete sucessfully.  windows backup had to skip all the drives included in the backup.  The other message is:  Windows could not disable the automactic backup job for the followin reason:  the task image is corrupt or has been tampered with: (Ox80041321) try again.
    mlc
    Friday, February 26, 2010 10:37 PM
  •  Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:

Open the Task Scheduler.

Exit the Task Scheduler.

msfeedssync enable

Press ENTER.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!  I had read multiple web pages which talked about editing or removing the User_Feed_Synchronization task in Task Scheduler, but even with hidden tasks enabled, mine was not being displayed, though I was getting the cited error message and my feeds were not updating.  But you are the first person I have seen mention the msfeedssync command, and sure enough, that command resolved the problem.

Thanks again.

Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:41 AM
  • I have done exactly as you have said above but when I run msfeedssync enable in the command prompt nothing happens and I deleted 2 User_Feed_Synchronization files, now they are gone and the command prompt did not restore them and I am still getting the "The task image is corrupt or has been tampered" error on about a dozen files. What can I do now?

Thanks, Joe

Monday, May 09, 2011 3:39 AM
  • What if, when opening up task scheduler as mentioned, the "missing or corrupted" error pops up for every listed task?

I have run sfc and it said it found and corrected a few errors, but the error is still here. I also deleted the logs relating to some of the events, such as system restore.

What next?

Friday, June 24, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Please check this thread for further debugging instructions.
    Friday, July 08, 2011 1:08 AM
  • hi,

i had the same problem with several task manager tasks. 

the definitive way to solve this problem is in a support release:

MS10-092, specifically this support page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2305420

although it deals with a problem in the task sched caused by a windows update, the actual problem is exactly the same, with the same corrupt task messages.

this is the correct way to solve the issue, it takes a few steps but it's not difficult. just follow it closely, and only fix the tasks which are an issue in your system.

my reply here is rather late from your post, but here's hoping it will show up on a search for others with the same problem, as i had recently.

• Edited by patric627 Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:51 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:50 AM