Windows 7 SP1 install fails: ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING (0x80073701)

Question

• Windows 7 SP1 installation fails on six of seven PCs. All seven had either a clean Windows 7 Professional (32-bit) install, or a relatively clean Windows 7 Professional (32) install with all previously available Windows 7 Windows Updates applied, and very few or NO other applications installed -- e.g., just Microsoft Security Essentials, Adobe Reader, graphics adapter driver and printer drivers, etc., at most, if any. On the one PC out of the seven that I tried where SP1 did install successfully, it failed on its mate, an identical (literally) PC.

The links on the resulting panel that pops up when the SP1 install fails gives five things to try. I've tried all five and a dozen more that can be found with a search engine, including booting in safe mode with all drivers hidden. I have run the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us and all is reported to be well. I've rebooted and retried the SP1 install on this one PC that I am concentrating on now about 35 times in the past 2 days; this PC is a clean, complete, fresh Windows 7 Pro install, with nothing else installed other than what Windows Update installed/installs. I have run the Sytem File Checker tool (sfc /verifyonly) and found nothing. I have run the Windows 7 SP 1 install from Windows Update, by downloading the .exe file from Microsoft and running that, and I have downloaded the .iso and burned a DVD for Windows 7 SP1 and tried to run it from the DVD. Regardless of the source of the SP1 package, it fails in exactly the same manner every time (except on 1 PC, see below). On one particular PC that I have been repeatedly trying to get SP1 to install on for the past 2 days, it has failed every time, with the following messages (which can be seen only when in safe mode):

Installation was not successful
    The referenced assembly could not be found.
    ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING(0x80073701)

I realize that there might be something missing that I need to install, and I've read all about WinSxS, and even installed all the language packs on one of these seven PCs, but what I really want to know is this: How can I find out what it thinks it is missing? I'll be happy to provide it, but it looks like it would be so kind as to give me a hint.

I have tried to install Windows 7 SP1 on seven PCs -- only two of which have the same motherboard and hard drive and other hardware -- everything from P4 to P4 Xeon and Core2 Duo and Quad systems. Out of these seven PCs I'm working with, Windows 7 SP1 installed successfully on only one of them, a Dell GX280. I have a second Dell GX280 I have to play with that is literally an identical piece of hardware, on which the SP1 install fails in exactly the same way that it does on the other five PCs (on which I have tried to install it). Hence, the problem cannot be hardware-related. It fails on a PC on which it works, and it fails on many different types of hardware. And it fails identically whether I have a clean, fresh Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) install, or even ones with just basic, generally-considered safe, applications installed.

Friday, February 25, 2011 11:43 PM

Answers

• I ran across an excellent suggestion on another forum which successfully addressed this problem. I tried it on two systems on which Windows 7 SP1 previously would not install because of this issue (two of the small number of PCs which I still have on hand that had not yet been reimaged). Installing this Microsoft fix:

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [August 2011]

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3132

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [August 2011]

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20858

enabled Windows 7 SP1 to install successfully. I will test more systems next week, but at this point I believe that this is the solution to this long-outstanding problem.

• Marked as answer by RWWWHB Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:04 AM
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Thank you all for the great tips. After a lot of trials i finally succeeded. What i did was

- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

- using the readiness tool several times and then running SP1 from windows update again, no luck

- using readiness tool an then SP1 update from downloaded exe file

then it complained that it neede 8Gb !!! to finish the job, i only had 3 left. so i cleared my D: partiotion and added it to the C: giving me 103 Gb free

Then i did readiness again and ran the downloadwed SP1 again.

It fanaly succeeded aftter a long time.

Only thing is that windows update still does not see it installed while computer properties shows Windows 7 SP1 as installed.

Has anyone idea how to get rid of that please?

kind regards, Wil

Friday, February 03, 2012 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

to see the cause of Windows Vista or Windows 7 update failures, we must look for error messages in the file CBS.log.

Please run the Windows Explorer and go to the folder "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\" and copy all files to your document folder, also copy the setupapi.dev.log from the folder C:\Windows\Inf and the file "C:\Windows\winsxs\poqexec.log " to your document folder (otherwise you can't upload it), zip all files into 1 ZIP and upload the zip to your SkyDrive [1] and post a link here.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, February 25, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Hi

Same problem here! I tried everything as described above.

I have a 64-bit PC. Installation went well on a lot of other 32-bit PC's.

Any help possible?

My logs: http://cid-2f93e2b9c304fade.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=2F93E2B9C304FADE!104

Many thanks.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 9:47 AM
  • Hi

Same problem here! I tried everything as described above.

I have a 64-bit PC. Installation went well on a lot of other 32-bit PC's.

Any help possible?

My logs: http://cid-2f93e2b9c304fade.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=2F93E2B9C304FADE!104

Many thanks.

please start your own topic to avoid confusions. I reply there.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:55 PM
  • http://rapidshare.com/files/449857340/Win7SP1A.zip

--

2011-02-25 12:59:52, Info                  CBS    Exec: Resolving Package: Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Ultimate-Client-Package ~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.1.7601.17514, Update: BUC Namespace, PinDeployment: x86_microsoft-windows-b..oyment-languagepack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_en-us_73ab661146e7ca7a
    2011-02-25 12:59:52, Error                 CSI    000001b7@2011/2/25:18:59:52.722 (F) d:\w7rtm\base\wcp\componentstore\csd_locking.cpp(324): Error STATUS_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING originated in function CCSDirectTransaction::LockComponent expression: (null)
    [gle=0x80004005]

files of the branding package which includes the Windows 7 Ultimate strings/bitmaps is missing.

Please start the command prompt (cmd.exe) with admin rights [1] and run sfc [2]:

sfc.exe /scannow

Is it able to find and repair broken/missing files (create the txt file shown under [2] and look if all files are restored)? If not, replace the DLL with the file from your DVD [3].

If all files are restored, try to install the Sp1 again.

best regards
    André

[1] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-run-an-application-once-with-a-full-administrator-access-token
    [2] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
    [3] http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/09/17/how-to-extract-missing-system-files-from-the-dvd-of-windows-7vista/

Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:58 PM
  • > Please start the command prompt (cmd.exe) with admin rights [1] and run sfc [2]:
    > sfc.exe /scannow

On the same PC from which I obtained and posted the files that you so kindly examined, SFC reported that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." There were no files that it found to be missing or damaged that needed replacement, as far as I can tell. The sfcdetails.txt file, produced by scanning the cbs.log file (appended to by executing sfc.exe /scannow) for the string "[SR] Cannot repair member file" does not contain any lines (much less any DLL file names) that indicate missing files (in need of replacement) or corrupt files (in need of repair that it can't replace). In fact, there is not even a single occurrence of a line in the cbs.log file containing the text "Cannot repair". Searching for the specific text string specified in the MS KB reference in your previous footnote 2 results in nothing being found.

Repeating this same procedure on the other five PCs on the bench right now, no such string appears in the cbs.log files on any of these PCs for which the SP1 install also repeatedly fails. Nada. Zip. Nothing like that is there. I do find the 7 instances in the cbs.log file where the string "Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Ultimate-Client-Package" occurs (which you highlighted one of in your response, above). But, running SFC does not find anything specific that needs fixing (either that needs fixing that it cannot fix, or that needed fixing that it could and did fix).

> files of the branding package which includes the Windows 7 Ultimate strings/bitmaps is missing.

> CBS    Exec: Resolving Package: Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Ultimate-Client-Package

All of these systems are Windows 7 Professional, not Windows 7 Ultimate (if that makes any difference). I have only one Windows 7 Ultimate DVD here, and it has never even been out of its package: the plastic shrink-wrap is still on it. Is the SP1 install somehow confused about which version of Windows 7 was on the DVD that got installed on all seven [of these] systems? Is it looking for something that it thinks should be there (but obviously is not), and which is, in fact, not there simply because it is not supposed to be there in the first place?

In other words, is it possible that there is, in fact, nothing wrong with any of these Windows 7 installs, and the problem is in the SP1 upgrade process or in the SP1 machine readable material itself?

All of the easily-found online sources that attempt to help one with this problem talk about how to repair the problem, once it has been identified, but none deal with how to identify which "assembly" is missing in the first place. The presumption seems to be that the System File Checker will find any such errant (e.g., missing) assemblies, but that has never, ever been the case for me. For what it's worth, which I know is not much to you, SFC has never identified a missing/corrupt file at any time when I have used it on a PC -- ever. I think SFC must only look for what it has been told to look for, and there are things in a Windows install that can go missing or get corrupted that SFC simply does not check for. Could this be one of those instances? I see the anomaly in the cbs.log file, but SFC does not catch it. What else can I do to identify the missing files?

I am fully prepared to believe that this is my problem and admit my guilt, but if it is my problem I am completely unaware of what I did or am doing wrong. I would appreciate any other suggestions you might have, as I am nearly at the end of my patience with Windows 7 SP1.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:48 PM
  • If you’re unable to apply the Service Pack 1 update to Windows 7, consider downloading and running this utility. Choose the version that applies to your installation:

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:10 AM
  • YOu get other issues:
        CmdLine: [80]""C:\Windows\System32\netsh.exe" http delete urlacl url=https://+:10245/WMPNSSv4/"
    2011-02-25 11:30:16, Error      [0x01800a] CSI    0000029e (F) Done with generic command 3; CreateProcess returned 0, CPAW returned S_OK
        Process exit code 1 resulted in success? FALSE
        Process output: [l:71 [71]"

URL reservation delete failed, Error: 6

The handle is invalid.

but I have no idea what this means.

this causes this:

The failure was encountered during rollback;

maybe joscon has an idea, from my knowledge I have no real solution.

You can try an InPlace upgrade to fix it and install the Sp1.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:03 AM
  • If you’re unable to apply the Service Pack 1 update to Windows 7, consider downloading and running this utility. Choose the version that applies to your installation:

Carey Frisch

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt; and I said I had done so in my very first post:

> I have run the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us and all is reported to be well.

The link on that page titled "All supported x86-based versions of Windows 7" leads directly to the (first) link you posted, above.

But thanks for the suggestion. It will help others with this problem who have not done so and need to do so, I am certain.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:29 AM
  • Try:  Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 Support

Select:

I use it for my own personal use

Support Topic: Service Pack 1

Sub-Topic:  Installation Issue

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Hi!

Did so!

Thanks.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:31 AM
  • For what it's worth, installing (from scratch, on an empty hard drive) Windows 7 Professional with SP1 already included (i.e., on the DVD), and then installing all of the usual suite of application software (including Office 2010) needed here on top of SP1, works just fine on four PCs which have identical hardware configurations as four of the PCs on which the SP1 install fails when Windows 7 Professional, without SP1 included, is installed first (or already installed).

Since there are still so few PCs deployed with Windows 7 Professional, and at least some of them might have no problem (well, a guy can hope, can't he?) getting SP1 installed successfully, what I think I'm going to do is to just start from scratch on the (now) 12 PCs on which SP1 will not install, and in the future simply re-image (with Win 7 Pro with SP1 pre-applied) any other PCs with Windows 7 without SP1 on which SP1 will not install correctly. Reimaging and restoring user data is a lot less involved (since it's pretty much automated) than helping identify obscure Microsoft bugs, which could potentially be different on each such PC on which SP1 would/will not install. I'll leave doing that to folks with more patience than I have left.

I am going to keep clones of the hard drives from at least a couple of PCs on which SP1 will not install, just to be able to test stuff if someone comes up with any better ideas (or if Microsoft Support turns out to be of any help, which would be a first: most of the time they want me to redo all of the "I'm an idiot user" steps before they even start to listen and try to help). If I get anywhere or learn anything else of potential archival interest, I will update this thread (assuming that I will be able to do that in the future).

In the meantime, I've wasted too much time on what is now 12 PCs that have not been in productive use, most for a week, and learned (again) that attempting to diagnose obscure problems so as to help someone else out is, frankly, just a waste of time (however interesting and educational to me personally it might be). I should have just had these PCs reimaged the very next day, and been done with it.

Regardless, thanks to all for the information that will hopefully, some day, be valuable to others with the identical or a similar problem. I hope I did not waste too much of your time.

Monday, February 28, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hi RWWWHB,

Did you get the solution for your original problem wherein you have the Windows 7 installed and you are trying to install the service pack 1 on the top of that ?

I am also facing the same problem, but i cannt  format that and install the Windows 7 with SP1 included, again. :(

Thanks
    Prashant Thakwani

Prashant Thakwani
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Did you get the solution for your original problem wherein you have the Windows 7 installed and you are trying to install the service pack 1 on the top of that ?

I am also facing the same problem, but i cannt  format that and install the Windows 7 with SP1 included, again. :

No. We ended up having to reimage all of those systems with an image built from, as it turns out, one of those (old) systems on which SP1 would install (over top of Windows 7 and all the standard applications).

For fun (yeah, I know I don't have enough to keep me off the streets), I reinstalled just Windows 7 without SP1 on a new hard drive on a couple of those systems ... from scratch ... and one  of those systems was actually one of the ones on which SP1 did install successfully originally (when I first tried to do so) over a base Windows 7 image. Then I let Windows Update do its thing with just one of those two systems, but not the other, and then tried to install SP1 on both of them. The (surprising) result was that SP1 installed successfully on the system on which absolutely no other Windows Updates had been applied (because I kept the PC disconnected from the network), which was not the one on which it had installed successfully before (on that one, I allowed Windows Update to do its thing).

While this is only one data point, it did suggest a plausible explanation: that SP1 can't install on some systems (but surely not all) which have received (certain, unknown) Windows Updates that have then been installed. Going back and checking the backup of the original hard drive on the system on which SP1 did install successfully in the first place (a backup made with Ghost before I tried to install SP1 on it, just as a safety measure, having been burned one too many times in the past with Windows service packs), guess what I discovered? Windows Update, which is normally disabled on those Windows 7 images (built shortly after Windows 7 was available), because, simply, Windows 7 was so new, and there was little trust in Windows 7 Windows Updates at that time, had never been turned on on that system.

So, again, while it is only a single (or two, depending on how you look at it) data point(s), the only objective evidence here (although it is not conclusive by any means) is that Windows 7 SP1 will install over a Windows 7 image with things like Office 2007 and some other applications also installed but without any Windows Updates applied, but SP1 will not install if any previously-available Windows Updates have been allowed to be installed. The only way I have been able to get a system with such a configuration created here is to install Windows 7, et al. without having it connected to the network, and then disabling Windows Updates (or specifying that it is to be kept turned off when the question arises).  Again, this problem must surely be related to the specific hardware configuration(s) used here, since it's clear in general that the vast majority of Windows 7 systems in the world are not having problems installing SP1.

So, I really have no answer for you. Just some inconclusive evidence, however persuasive that might appear to be.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Thanks for the great explaination.

As i mentioned earlier, i don't want to wipe the existing Widows 7 RTM. and hence will wait for the SP2 for Windows 7. Hope Microsoft solve this problem that time. Else the last option would be going back to Windows XP.

Thanks again.

Prashant Thakwani
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:53 PM
  • The only way I have been able to get a system with such a configuration created here is to install Windows 7, et al. without having it connected to the network, and then disabling Windows Updates (or specifying that it is to be kept turned off when the question arises). 

I am sure I did not make what I was trying to say abundantly clear, so I will elaborate. 

As some more experiments here have confirmed, Windows 7 SP1 install requires a connection to the internet for some unknown reason. This is true even for the "offline" .EXE and DVD .ISO versions at Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932), where one downloads the supposedly complete SP1 update "package" in order to be able to install it on multiple systems without having to download it all over again on each system (in contrast to the version that you get by using Windows Update).

This is surprising, since every "offline" update I have ever encountered can indeed be installed just like that: offline (disconnected from the internet, as is wise). But the Windows 7 SP1 "offline" (complete) install still downloads three or four or five files from the internet [I have no explanation for why some machines require three or four, and others five]; it insists on being connected in order to be able to complete the install.

Hence, in order to keep Windows from applying any Windows Updates, you must configure the Windows Update settings to disable it before you go online with Windows Update even the very first time, since you have to be online to install SP1 (and that gives Windows Update the opportunity to "sneak in there" before the SP1 install even really gets started. Apparently, if you allow Windows Update to do anything, it does something that thwarts the ability to install SP1.

I repeated this experiment on three more systems last evening and this morning, with the same results. I also took the trouble (not much, since I needed to check out some new hard drives) to restore two of the very first Windows 7 images that had been Ghosted just after it had first been installed (with the machine, of course, disconnected from the internet), one with Office 2007 and other applications and one totally clean (and not yet any Windows Updates, of which, at the time, I think there were only a very tiny number, which were initially intentionally ignored -- that trust issue, again). SP1 installed successfully on both of them.

Reviewing the history and the experimental results confirms that, at least here, SP1 cannot be installed if any Windows Updates have been installed on the machine first. This surely must be related to a single Windows Update that is the actual, sole cause of this behavior, but I have not the time nor the patience to run that experiment. And it surely must also be related to the available hardware configurations here, since I am sure that were SP1 exhibiting this behavior in general there would have been an outcry so loud that it would not need to be the subject of backwater discussions such as this one.

I am afraid that I will not be able to be of much additional assistance in tracking this one down so that its actual genesis is truly understood. There are now so few Windows 7 systems without SP1 here that it's hard to run any experiments without restoring a previously-Ghosted image or using a cloned hard drive. But there are still a small number; before simply re-imaging them, I will give it the old college try, and report either unusual or elucidating results.

Microsoft Windows® - Guaranteed Lifetime Job Security for System, Network and Security Administrators™

Friday, March 11, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Really good investigation :) I am in the middle of such a problem installing SP1 on Win7 64 and hope that MS will try to track the reported installation problems
    Friday, March 18, 2011 10:31 AM
  • Really good investigation :) I am in the middle of such a problem installing SP1 on Win7 64 and hope that MS will try to track the reported installation problems

Good luck with that. I saw a recent article covering,  supposedly, the thorniest Windows 7 SP1 installation problems, and this one was not even mentioned, whereas some that were admittedly unusual occurrences were mentioned. Their conclusion was not to install SP1 yet, because it is obviously not ready for prime time. While I wish I had read that before starting the process of upgrading Windows 7 systems with SP1, I'm glad I did start so early in the deployment of Windows 7 that I don't have too many systems to fix (read: totally re-image). I fear that if I had waited, I might have a boatload of systems that would need complete re-imaging. That would really color my attitude towards Microsoft. I have never had such exasperating problems installing Windows service packs before. That it occurs on such a wide variety of hardware (and software) configurations (including clean Windows 7 installs, essentially) should be embarassing (to Microsoft). Oh, well; I need to remind myself not to think rationally.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:25 AM
  • I feel your pain.

First, I'm definitely running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit O/S.

I ran System File Checker tool as administrater from elevated command prompt with the result "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

I turn off real time protection in Windows Essential.

I download the System Update Readiness tool (All supported x86-based versions of Windows 7) ws6.1-KB947821-v10-x86.msu and install, it asks me whether I want to install "Hotfix for Windows (KB947821)" which I go ahead with, the installation is completed & I close the window.

I run try to install the SP1 through windows Update with the result: After about 2 minutes I receive the message "Some updates were not installed, Failed: 1 update, Error(s) found: Code 80073701"

If I run the downloaded service pack from the MS Download Centre (windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe) as Administrator then the result is, after 10 minutes with the green bar only about about 50% across, the window defaults to: "Installation not successful, the referenced assembly could not be found, ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING(0x80073701)."

I've then run the System Repair disc, selected Startup Repair with the feedback that "Startup repair could not detect a problem.

I re-boot the computer, run through the above routines again and arrive at the same negative results, error messages.

Most frustrating.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:27 AM
  • On my machine the missing package points to Package_for_KB976902~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514 

This package is in my registry hive under MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB976902~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514

as shown in the following CBS dump from an "in-place" SP1 upgrade attempt on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. And, yes, I've run the diagnostics mentioned elsewhere, which came up clean.

--------------------------

2011-04-02 18:10:32, Error                 CSI    000001b5@2011/4/3:01:10:32.502 (F) d:\w7rtm\base\wcp\componentstore\csd_locking.cpp(324): Error STATUS_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING originated in function CCSDirectTransaction::LockComponent expression: (null)

[gle=0x80004005]

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Error                 CSI    000001b6 (F) STATUS_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING #557144# from CCSDirectTransaction::OperateEnding at index 0 of 1 operations, disposition 2[gle=0xd015000c]

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Error                 CSI    000001b7 (F) HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING) #557029# from Windows::ServicingAPI::CCSITransaction::ICSITransaction_PinDeployment(Flags = 0, a = Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Ultimate-Deployment-LanguagePack, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral, cb = (null), s = (null), rid = [108]"Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Ultimate-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514.BUC Namespace", rah = (null), manpath = (null), catpath = (null), ed = 0, disp = 0)[gle=0x80073701]

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Info                  CBS    Failed to pin deployment while resolving Update: BUC Namespace from file: (null) [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Info                  CBS    Failed to resolve item[0] in Package: Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Ultimate-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514, Update: BUC Namespace [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Info                  CBS    Failed to resolve execution update. [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Error                 CBS    Failed to resolve execution package: Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Ultimate-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514 [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Info                  CSI    000001b8@2011/4/3:01:10:36.760 CSI Transaction @0x1faa280 destroyed

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Info                  CBS    Perf: Resolve chain complete.

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Info                  CBS    Failed to resolve execution chain. [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Error                 CBS    Failed to process Multi-phase execution. [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Info                  CBS    WER: Generating failure report for package: Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514, status: 0x80073701, failure source: Resolve, start state: Absent, target state: Staged, client id: SP Coordinater Engine

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Info                  CBS    Failed to query DisableWerReporting flag.  Assuming not set... [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Info                  CBS    Failed to add %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml to WER report because it is missing.  Continuing without it...

2011-04-02 18:10:36, Info                  CBS    Failed to add %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml.bad to WER report because it is missing.  Continuing without it...

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    Reboot mark refs: 0

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    SQM: Reporting package change for package: Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514, current: Absent, pending: Default, start: Absent, applicable: Installed, target: Staged, limit: Staged, hotpatch status: StillGoing, status: 0x0, failure source: Resolve, reboot required: False, client id: SP Coordinater Engine, initiated offline: False, execution sequence: 338, first merged sequence: 338

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    SQM: Upload requested for report: PackageChangeBegin_Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514, session id: 101457923, sample type: Standard

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    SQM: Ignoring upload request because the sample type is not enabled: Standard

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    SQM: Reporting package change completion for package: Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514, current: Absent, original: Absent, target: Staged, status: 0x80073701, failure source: Resolve, failure details: "(null)", client id: SP Coordinater Engine, initiated offline: False, execution sequence: 338, first merged sequence: 338

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    SQM: resolve time performance datapoint is invalid. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    SQM: stage time performance datapoint is invalid. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    SQM: execute time performance datapoint is invalid. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    SQM: Upload requested for report: PackageChangeEnd_Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514, session id: 101457924, sample type: Standard

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    SQM: Ignoring upload request because the sample type is not enabled: Standard

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    Enabling LKG boot option

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    Restored system sleep block state: 0x80000000

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    SPI: Error callback - 0x80073701

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Info                  CBS    Exec: Processing complete.  Session: 30142873_2549069334, Package: Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514 [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

2011-04-02 18:10:37, Error                 CBS    Failed to perform operation.  [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

Sunday, April 03, 2011 6:12 AM
  •  

I think this is related to what the previous posters are talking about.

The problem seems to be with a language pack installed with KB976902 around Feb 2011, with the following knowledge base description for KB976902: "Install this update to enable future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. This update may be required before selected future updates can be installed. After you install this item, it cannot be removed."

Now the SP 1 (in-place) upgrade is failing because it can't find this package, which was initially installed in c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\b4186802777a9eaf49ead41f5cceac0d0\Package_for_KB976902_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17105.mum

a364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17105.mum by WindowsUpdateAgent 

I checked in this location - and indeed there's no longer any file or directory with that name.

I tried re-installing this manually, but it complains that it has already been installed.

The pertinent CBS message is:

Failed to resolve item[0] in Package: Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Ultimate-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514, Update: BUC Namespace [HRESULT = 0x80073701 - ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING]

Sunday, April 03, 2011 7:23 AM
  • I looked at the output from the verifier and found a clue. There are numerous informational messages (not errors) that implicate PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} - which is the same package that is generating the SP1 install error. There are at least 100 of these messages generated by the verifier, basically saying the same thing:

"2011-04-03 00:38:33, Info                  CSI    00000120 Ignoring duplicate ownership for directory [l:58{29}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\zh-TW" in component Microsoft-Windows-mlang.Resources, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"zh-TW", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral

I did notice when looking at the registry that the package entry causing the ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING error has two OWNER records associated with it, but I don't know how to resolve. Is there a way to clear these duplicate ownership records?

Thanks.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 8:08 AM
  • I had the same problem with installing SP1 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Same errors, and after scrubbing these forums, same troubleshooting.

The CBS log file appeared to show that quite a bit of time is spent hashing through all the previously installed updates. Not wanting to re-install Windows from scratch, but resigned to the liklihood that I would have to clean install - I began uninstalling all of the Microsoft Windows updates from the "Uninstall an update" control panel.

I uninstalled 100+ Windows updates except KB976902 (which I couldn't remove) and IE9. I didn't touch the separately listed .NET and Silverlight updates. This is where I really wish this utility allowed for multi-item selection.

After a reboot, SP1 (from the purchased GRMSP1.1_DVD) installed SUCCESSFULLY!

Interestingly, the update uninstaller now only lists KB976902, KB976932, and IE9. I guess every single prior update is encompassed in sp1.

I would imagine that this would be possible by uninstalling far fewer updates. But, at least it worked.

Good luck.

-LyleHM

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:15 PM
  • I feel your pain.

First, I'm definitely running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit O/S.

I ran System File Checker tool as administrater from elevated command prompt with the result "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

I turn off real time protection in Windows Essential.

I download the System Update Readiness tool (All supported x86-based versions of Windows 7) ws6.1-KB947821-v10-x86.msu and install, it asks me whether I want to install "Hotfix for Windows (KB947821)" which I go ahead with, the installation is completed & I close the window.

I run try to install the SP1 through windows Update with the result: After about 2 minutes I receive the message "Some updates were not installed, Failed: 1 update, Error(s) found: Code 80073701"

If I run the downloaded service pack from the MS Download Centre (windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe) as Administrator then the result is, after 10 minutes with the green bar only about about 50% across, the window defaults to: "Installation not successful, the referenced assembly could not be found, ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING(0x80073701)."

I've then run the System Repair disc, selected Startup Repair with the feedback that "Startup repair could not detect a problem.

I re-boot the computer, run through the above routines again and arrive at the same negative results, error messages.

Most frustrating.

I was able to eventually solve my problem by carrying out an "InPlace upgrade" and then SP1 installed without any problem.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Where you able to resolve your issue?

I've been trying to load SP1 and when it is cpmpletes the install, it starts to reboot, but it can't.  I get the Startup Repair, but nothing happens.  I either have to start from a restore point or re-install Window 7 Ultimate.  It is driving me nuts.

I understand that this maybe a driver issue, and that some of the older drivers need to be manually updated from the manufacture web site. 

As you can tell I not a computer guru, so any help would be greatly appricated.

My next option will be to use the old computer as a fishing weight and buy a new one with SP1 aready installed.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Earlier in the thread, I posted this:

• So, again, while it is only a single (or two, depending on how you look at it) data point(s), the only objective evidence here (although it is not conclusive by any means) is that Windows 7 SP1 will install over a Windows 7 image with things like Office 2007 and some other applications also installed but without any Windows Updates applied, but SP1 will not install if any previously-available Windows Updates have been allowed to be installed. The only way I have been able to get a system with such a configuration created here is to install Windows 7, et al. without having it connected to the network, and then disabling Windows Updates (or specifying that it is to be kept turned off when the question arises). 

In other words, my experience is that Windows 7 SP1 will successfully install on a Windows 7 system without any Windows Updates applied (that is, a fresh, base, un-updated Windows 7 install, right off of the CD or DVD). At least one other person has reported the same thing in this thread.

That said, I have had SP1 install successfully on some systems that had some updates applied already, so apparently the problem (for me) was that there must have been one or more updates that, if previously installed, defeats the ability of SP1 to install over it (them). Unfortunately, despite investigation and trials, I was not able to discover which (prior) update is the problematic one for SP1.

I have two suggestions for you:

1. First, if you can, back off (uninstall) all Windows 7 updates that you have applied, and then try to install Windows 7. If you do attempt to try this, be sure to disable Windows Update beforehand completely, and then install SP1 (and SP1 only) specifically, either from a downloaded copy or online at the Windows 7 web page for SP1 (note: not the Windows Update site!). I also would like to remind you that you must be connected to the internet when you install SP1. I have not ever been able to get SP1 to install on a system (when it would install successfully) that was not connected to the internet, because it insists on downloading something else, even if I download the supposedly complete SP1 install package. Clearly, Microsoft has botched this aspect of the service pack packaging, but it's not clear how, why, or what to do about it. Even downloading all the stuff it wants downloaded when you do try to install the pre-downloaded complete SP1 update, and having that available in the same folder (even un-archived), does not help; it still insists on connected to some Microsoft web site to download the extra stuff again (three or four things, as I remember).
    2. Get a CD with Windows 7 at the SP1 level already built-in, and update your computer with a fresh install that way (instead of using it as a boat anchor).

I have had several conversations with some contacts at other large, dedicated, committed Microsoft software-intensive customer sites, and it's clear that this is a fairly pervasive problem, and I'm not alone. I remain surprised that it has not gotten more attention than it has. I think the only explanation for that is that Windows 7 large-scale deployments at many sites have been delayed until SP1, and they are simply going to install 7 with SP1 built-in first, instead of 7 and then trying to get SP1 to go in on top of it. But one guy I talked to said he had over 2,000 Windows 7 systems without SP1 that were identically imaged for which he has yet to find even one system to which he could get SP1 to apply; he has no clue what he's going to do, and Microsoft support seems unable to comprehend what the problem is (or that he even has a real problem). Given that it takes at least a half-day of dedicated attention to run any sort of experiment on any single PC (which is sometimes then destroyed for useful work, which means you have to image the hard drive first and then restore it when you finish the support-script-reading, but otherwise clueless MS techie's most helpful suggestion for "something to try"), it's difficult to actually get anything useful done in the way of actual problem source identification. This has been one of the biggest time-wasters I have ever encountered with Microsoft Windows software, yet I hear and read very little about it online in general. But, he's not going to let the problem go, so when I hear more, I will update everyone here with any pertinent information. 

Microsoft Windows® - Guaranteed Lifetime Job Security (but, sadly, also Frustration) for System, Network and Security Administrators™

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:29 PM
  • One of the problems with this forum is that this particular W7 SP1 installation error is discussed -- but never actually solved -- under so many different threads because people with 5 badges next to their names insist that people with the same or very similar problems start their own threads.

One of the problems with this approach is that we are not able to efficiently find the common causes of the installation error.

I was not confused at all by Brendianer's post.  We will find -- whenever Microsoft gets around to publishing a fix for this problem -- that the solution is the same for the symptoms described because those symptoms are so similar.  In the meantime, while we're searching for a workaround, it might be nice to get all of these symptoms or, at the very least, the posts from people who experience this error, in one place.  The number of affected systems is large, and the only "working solution" found to date has been to do a wipe a clean installation of Windows 7, disable automatic updates, install SP1, then re-enable automatic updates and install user applications.

That is an huge burden to place on end users regardless of their level of experience.  This long-known and persistent error deserves more focused attention.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:57 AM
  • One of the problems with this forum is that this particular W7 SP1 installation error is discussed -- but never actually solved -- under so many different threads because people with 5 badges next to their names insist that people with the same or very similar problems start their own threads.

<snip>

This long-known and persistent error deserves more focused attention.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I agree. This issue has smelled to me like a more general, pervasive problem since the beginning, but I have been trying to avoid doing things that would have enabled me to offer actual, first-hand hard evidence. But the number of emails I get asking for help literally from all over the world reflect the fact that this thread is being discovered by a broad audience.

I don't have any better suggestions for anyone. Since the last (known) systems simply got reimaged with a Windows 7 with SP1 already built-in image, I have discovered some additional, "rogue" systems that had been upgraded to Windows 7 by individuals. This was actually OK (no rule against it -- if it works, cool ... less work for me), but none of them (that have come to light) have been able to get SP1 to install successfully (they come to my attention as soon as the user takes a look at the error messages that pop up from Windows Update and sees that an update has "Failed"). So, I'm back in the same frying pan, but the plan at this point is to simply reimage them when time is available (nobody objects -- most folks hate Windows 7 and much prefer Windows XP). But Windows XP can't stay around for much longer; the handwriting is on the wall.

By the way, for the (technical) record, the offending "package" (identified in the log file) that trips up the SP1 install is not always the same one. This is one reason why I think the problem is actually something else (as yet unidentified). Perhaps these different "package" (or "assembly") failures is why the five badge crowd thinks that all these should be treated as separate problems, whereas you and I (and many others, I assure you) think that they are merely sympoms of a different, but single, problem. Of course, I don't know. That's above my pay grade.

The point is, I have yet to find a smoking gun. In all my time doing Windows stuff in the past, the absence of a smoking gun has always turned out to mean that I should have been looking for an outlaw, not his weapon (or other evidence). Something about SP1 install (or the original Windows 7 install) is broken, and the bad packages/assemblies that the finger of fate points to are just red herrings, IMHO. YMMV.

• Proposed as answer by Zulu53 Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Zulu53 Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:21 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:51 PM
  • The error is certainly Microsofts to correct.  A couple of things that can be done (to encourage them to correct it).

1. Contact product support directly - to tell Microsoft that this is a common problem.  If any poster gets a resolution this way then post it here.

2. Do no mark the thread as "answered" if it is not.  Personally, as an professional Engineer, I would never tolerate from my people solutions that would involve roll back of past updates or re-imaging from scratch.  You customers should not tolerate it either.

3. In the past (maybe too distant now), I used to be able to get resolution by emailing Bill Gates himself (well obviously he had assistants that monitored his email and actually replied).  Try billg@microsoft.com

4. Live without SP1 and just do the updates that you think you need.  IMHO it has been problematical for some time as to what constitutes an update or not, and Microsoft have shown no ability to test updates prior to issue.  I normally only go for the stability and driver updates.  The security updates are often for esoteric hacks not applicable to most peoples situation and they are often rushed out by Microsoft with insufficient thought or testing  (did I say that I am less than impressed with the quality of Microsoft engineers?).  Windows 7 IS relatively stable and robust "as is".  Just because Microsoft sees a need to bow to the media/public relations people and issue a update every day does not mean that you need to install it: you will live with the wasted time of trying to apply an update that does not work!

Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:42 PM
  • 2. Do no mark the thread as "answered" if it is not.
    Great suggestion. I have unmarked the (obviously useless) (much earlier) post that had previously been marked as "the answer."
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 12:09 AM
  • It took me two days trying to install this service pack and didn't go anywhere.

I tried to follow other suggestions to clean up the registry, uninstall multiple language support, disable anti-virus, try both windows update and standalone installation of SP1, ...  Nothing worked.   

Since my windows 7 is pre-installed without installation disc and MS doesn't allow me to make one from pre-installed version.

I am stuck! 

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:03 AM
  • I am stuck! 

Lots of folks are (still) stuck, and more seem to be arriving daily. I have yet to discover how to get around this issue, and of course all the PCs that can't install SP1 are getting more and more "dirty" and "busy" and "customized" by the week, thus lessening the chance they ever will be able to get a clean SP1 install done, making more work for us when we have to reimage them and then reinstall all the applications that will then have accumulated.

Nobody seems to have been able to find that right person at Microsoft to hit in the head with a 2x4, so the issue remains unresolved. Perhaps SP2 will fix it! (ha ha ha)

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:21 AM
  • FIX!!!  Let me preface this entire post by saying... it worked for me. 

Now then, here is a bit about my issue (actually a client's issue) then I'll tell the solution.  First, I was getting the exact same error message as posted above while attempting to install SP1 to Win7 Pro x64.  I first noticed I had a problem when Windows Update would not work properly and simply failed on every try.  A virus scan found and removed several infections from a hidden rootkit.  After the infections were cleaned, the problem still persisted.  After searching online for answers (as I'm sure you're doing now) for hours and banging my head against the wall, I shelved the problem for a few weeks so I could marinade on it.

Yesterday, my (remote) client needed a new mouse so I instructed them to just run up the street to the local electronics store and grab any USB mouse.  Upon plugging the mouse in, nothing... it wouldn't work.  They plugged the mouse into another PC, golden... worked fine.  At this point I was suspicious of hardware problems.

I got my hands on the PC today and verified that the mouse was working fine on other PCs but not the one with the error while trying to install SP1.  I ran MEMTEST86+ and just as I thought... RAM failure.  Fortunately, there were 2 x 2GB modules so I tested them individually and removed the bad one.  I then tried to install SP1 with the bad RAM removed but that produced the same failure as before... the mouse still didn't work either.  I booted to safe mode and tried again... same problem.  I ran CHKDSK and it did find a couple of file problems and fixed them... however, same problem.

This time around I figured I would try doing a repair install (or in-place upgrade as some call it).  After completing the repair install, I ran SP1 from a DVD I already had the files downloaded to (same DVD I had tried unsuccessfully earlier) and JACKPOT!!!  After a LONG period of time (over an hour) the SP installed, the mouse worked & I was able to use Windows Update to get the rest of the updates that were available.

Here are a couple of links on how to do a repair install:

VERY BASIC HOW-TO FROM MICROSOFT:     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

REALLY GOOD STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS:     http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

To recap...

1.  I scanned for, found and removed some rootkit infections (which I think started this whole problem).

2.  Removed a bad RAM module that failed testing.

3.  Ran CHKDSK, which found and fixed a couple of things.

4.  Did repair install... everything worked great afterwards.

I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone but I figure its worth a try.  I always hope to be able to pay it forward for the numerous times someone has posted something that saved my butt.  Although my particular problem was multidimensional, maybe it will at the very least put you on the right track.

• Proposed as answer by STCarter Sunday, October 02, 2011 10:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RWWWHB Monday, October 03, 2011 4:09 PM
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 10:56 PM
  • I'm glad it worked for you, but the problem occurs on brand-new, fresh, successful, correct, working, error-free installs of Windows 7 on a variety of hardware. A "repair install" on a fresh install would accomplish exactly nothing. And before you say "but it might fix the problem" ... yes, myself and many others (here) and reportedly many others elsewhere have tried it. On top of a fresh install of W7, doing an intermediate repair install before attempting to apply SP1 is just a waste of time.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Doing an In-place with Win7 SP1 intigrated or Repair install works in almost every Win 7. After the repair SP1 can be re-installed through the windows update. But doing an In-place or repair is just a work around not a solution and I haven't found any forum wherein any proposed solution would have worked on more then 1 or 2 PC's. The big confusion I have is that SP1 doesn't reflects in the registry. May be I am not looking it correctly in the registry and I would certainly like to know how we can search SP1 in the registry.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 10:33 PM
  • I ran across an excellent suggestion on another forum which successfully addressed this problem. I tried it on two systems on which Windows 7 SP1 previously would not install because of this issue (two of the small number of PCs which I still have on hand that had not yet been reimaged). Installing this Microsoft fix:

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [August 2011]

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3132

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [August 2011]

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20858

enabled Windows 7 SP1 to install successfully. I will test more systems next week, but at this point I believe that this is the solution to this long-outstanding problem.

• Marked as answer by RWWWHB Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:04 AM
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:04 AM
  • > windows update still does not see it installed

I have encountered this before. In every case, simply allowing Windows Update to (try to) reinstall the update, again, cured the problem. In several cases, that attempt ran on and on, literally for 2 hours, before it finished. But it worked (at least in appearance). I read somewhere someone's explanation (why/how/when it can happen), but it bascially ended up at the same place most discussions about funny stuff that Windows reports/claims do: Microsoft failing to observe simple-minded rules. In this case, the rule is that you don't store the same information in more than one place, because that way the different places can get out of sync. The computer properties gets its information from one place whereas Microsoft Update gets its information from another place. Oh, well. At best, it just indicates that Windows Update tried to install SP1 (whether or not it actually completed successfully, to the point of actually updating all the places where it looks the next time it runs to see if SP1 really is already installed).

Unless this causes you some problem (like other updates not being seen as applicable), it probably can be ignored. But I would check other PCs with SP1 installed (if you have any) and see if post-SP1 updates are being applied to them that are not being applied to this PC.

By the way, Microsoft Support for problems encountered during the installation of updates is free. Most folks don't know that. Even for unsupported operating systems (like Windows XP), Microsoft Support for problems installing security updates is free. Even less know that. So just call them. Don't get your hopes up for an immediate or even a reasonable-timeframe resolution, but they will continue to work with you as long as the problem remains unresolved, and if the problem exceeds the skill set of the assigned technician (which does not change during the life of the engagement, in my experience) they will assign it to another. I've educated a many Microsoft Support person this way, so they are not all all-knowing. But you can work your way up to impressively-credentialed support personnel if the problem is particularly thorny.

Friday, February 03, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Thank you all for the great tips. After a lot of trials i finally succeeded. What i did was

- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

- using the readiness tool several times and then running SP1 from windows update again, no luck

- using readiness tool an then SP1 update from downloaded exe file

then it complained that it neede 8Gb !!! to finish the job, i only had 3 left. so i cleared my D: partiotion and added it to the C: giving me 103 Gb free

Then i did readiness again and ran the downloadwed SP1 again.

It fanaly succeeded aftter a long time.

Only thing is that windows update still does not see it installed while computer properties shows Windows 7 SP1 as installed.

Has anyone idea how to get rid of that please?

kind regards, Wil

Friday, February 03, 2012 11:44 PM
  • Thank you Warren?, I will wait for the next updates and see what happens.

I forgot to mention that opposite some other cases mentioned here, I did not have to remove all the patches installed since the start. I started installing Windows 7 on one computer to get a new clean install , because it was stuck by a boot sector virus and no MBR recover could fix it either. Virusses keep getting meaner and meaner. This was a rootkit backdoor for stealing passwords and breaking in https to steal your banksession. On this system i installed Windows 7 recently, immediatly followed by 74 patches (including IE9). After a few reboots SP1 was added to the list as well and installed with no problem.

Then i cheked my other Windows 7 system for SP1 which it never asked for despite of having windows update set to automatic. So all recent updates were there except for SP1, which it never had asked for anyway.  Then i decided to install SP1 on that one as well and then the trouble started. But was solved in the end with help of this forum and other articles. PIty of all the wasted time. I wonder if SP1 was necesairy anyway , as it could be a rollup of all previous patches and nothing more, i dont know.  If trouble persists i will follow your advice to call on MS support if its free.

Saturday, February 04, 2012 12:05 AM