none
Windows 7 Aero Theme

Question

• I have read alot of threads and even tried to implement them to no avail.  I downloaded Windows 7 on thursday.  I immediately set up the landscape option for the aero theme.  It worked until Friday night.  It survived many restarts due to multiple software installations.  I now am left with a black screen as a desktop wallpaper.  I am able to change the color as long as it is a solid color.  When I try to select an aero theme, the only change I get is down in the taskbar (changes colors depending on what theme is selected).  There is a small button on the far right side of the taskbar that toggles between desktop and whatever page is open in the browser.  If I minimize the browser and hit the desktop toggle, it will flash the aero theme for a split second.  This tells me it is there, but covered by the black wallpaper.  When logging out of windows, the aero theme displays until logged out.  I have updated my driver and obtained a Windows base rating of 4.1.  I have an integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics card.  I have multiple users on my laptop, and all four users aero themes are currently working.  I challenge you Windows OS guru's to figure this bizarre situation out.  I have exhausted all efforts.  HELP!!! 

Just to clarify, Everything else works fine and Windows 7 has lived up to my expectations.  If I can just get the cosmetically appealing aero theme to work, I will be a 100% satisfied customer.  :)
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:56 PM

Answers

• Hi G-rants,

According to your post, I understand that the issue does not occur in other four user accounts.

Let's see if the issue occurs in the newly created user account. If the issue does not occur in the new user account, we can simply transfer the personal files to the new account to resolve this issue. To do this, please go to Control Panel, click User Accounts, choose "Give other users access to this computer" to add a user with Administrator privilege.

To transfer the files, please perform the steps below:

=====

1. Click the Start menu, and click Computer.

2. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder and Search Options.

3. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

4. Navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.

Note: I assume that Windows 7 is installed on the C: partition. If Windows 7 is installed on the D: partition, the Users folder should be located in the D:\Users\(old user name) folder. Also the "old user name" refers to the user name of your old account. For example, if the user name of your old account is "Mike", the folder should be C:\Users\Mike.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

What is the result? However, if the issue persists in the new user account, let's also see the following suggestions:

-       What is the result after running Aero Troubleshooter as previously suggested? Can we find the culprit?

-       Does the screen works properly after opening a window, or a program?

-       Is Catalyst Control Centre installed? If so, please remove it and download the latest version from: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?driver=VideoCard/win7-32-components

-       Please also lower the 3D accelerate in Catalyst Control Centre.

-       Use ShellExView to disable non-Microsoft plug-ins. To do this, please refer to the following steps:

1. Please download the ShellExView to the Desktop from the following link:
        http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the shexview.zip file.
     3. Extract the ZIP file.
     4. Double click shexview.exe.
     5. Run the program and scan the computer.
     6. Please press "Ctrl" on the keyboard and click all items which are marked in pink in the list.
     7. Please choose all items and click "File" then "Save selected Items". (For example: File Name: ShellExView, Save as type: HTML File-Horizontal(*.htm;*.html))
     8. Please choose "File" then "Disable Selected Items".
     9. Quit and restart the computer to check the issue again.

In addition, could you please upload the screenshot of the issue and the System Information to my Skydrive? For your reference, I have attached the detailed steps below:

How to collect the System Information:

===========

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to us.

How to Upload the collected files

===========

1. Please visit Microsoft Sky Drive:

http://skydrive.live.com

2. Sign in with the following account

Live ID: LindaYan-MS@live.com

Password: 123456

3. Double click the folder named "Public".

4. Click “Add files” and then upload the screenshot and the System Information.

You can upload the files to your own Skydrive and provide me the link as well.

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, September 04, 2009 12:52 AM
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 5:58 AM

All replies

• Hi G-rants,

Before moving on, could you please help to clarify the following questions?

-       Can the desktop picture be changed from the black screen?

-       Does the Aero theme work properly on other user accounts?

Thank you for your cooperation.

In the meantime, since the issue first occurred after installing the programs, I recommend uninstalling the programs one by one to check the result, especially the graphic related programs and programs that were installed only for the problematic user.

If the issue persists, let's run Aero Troubleshooter to see if the culprit can be found.

To do this, please go to Start -> Control Panel -> View by: Large icons -> Troubleshooting -> Display Aero desktop effects.

What is the result? However, if the culprit cannot be identified or if the issue persists, let's also test the issue in Clean Boot mode to check the result:

Clean Boot

=======

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, if the issue still exists, could you please send me a screenshot about the symptom to me?

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

6. Please upload the screenshot to my Skydrive at http://cid-be2a687d297ce921.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public and I will check the screenshot for you.

Best Regards,

Linda

Monday, August 31, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Linda -

Thank you for your vested interest.  To answer your questions:

-      
    Can the desktop picture be changed from the black screen?

No, the desktop picture cannot be seen other than for a split second when I hit the desktop toggle.  The screen immediately reverts back to the black screen.  As an added note, whenever I log out, the desktop picture shows up while the system is shutting down.

-       Does the Aero theme work properly on other user accounts?

Yes.  I have four other accounts on my PC and all four have different aero themes working properly.

I haven't uninstalled the software that I loaded yet.  The software that I installed was:
     MS Groove, MS Office, MS Project, MS Access, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, MS Visio, Visual basic 2007 and Adobe Photoshop CS3. 

I will need instructions on how to upload my screenshot to your skydrive.  I was not able to figure that out.  I tried doing a clean boot, but the result was the same.
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Hi G-rants,

According to your post, I understand that the issue does not occur in other four user accounts.

Let's see if the issue occurs in the newly created user account. If the issue does not occur in the new user account, we can simply transfer the personal files to the new account to resolve this issue. To do this, please go to Control Panel, click User Accounts, choose "Give other users access to this computer" to add a user with Administrator privilege.

To transfer the files, please perform the steps below:

=====

1. Click the Start menu, and click Computer.

2. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder and Search Options.

3. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

4. Navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.

Note: I assume that Windows 7 is installed on the C: partition. If Windows 7 is installed on the D: partition, the Users folder should be located in the D:\Users\(old user name) folder. Also the "old user name" refers to the user name of your old account. For example, if the user name of your old account is "Mike", the folder should be C:\Users\Mike.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

What is the result? However, if the issue persists in the new user account, let's also see the following suggestions:

-       What is the result after running Aero Troubleshooter as previously suggested? Can we find the culprit?

-       Does the screen works properly after opening a window, or a program?

-       Is Catalyst Control Centre installed? If so, please remove it and download the latest version from: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?driver=VideoCard/win7-32-components

-       Please also lower the 3D accelerate in Catalyst Control Centre.

-       Use ShellExView to disable non-Microsoft plug-ins. To do this, please refer to the following steps:

1. Please download the ShellExView to the Desktop from the following link:
        http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the shexview.zip file.
     3. Extract the ZIP file.
     4. Double click shexview.exe.
     5. Run the program and scan the computer.
     6. Please press "Ctrl" on the keyboard and click all items which are marked in pink in the list.
     7. Please choose all items and click "File" then "Save selected Items". (For example: File Name: ShellExView, Save as type: HTML File-Horizontal(*.htm;*.html))
     8. Please choose "File" then "Disable Selected Items".
     9. Quit and restart the computer to check the issue again.

In addition, could you please upload the screenshot of the issue and the System Information to my Skydrive? For your reference, I have attached the detailed steps below:

How to collect the System Information:

===========

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to us.

How to Upload the collected files

===========

1. Please visit Microsoft Sky Drive:

http://skydrive.live.com

2. Sign in with the following account

Live ID: LindaYan-MS@live.com

Password: 123456

3. Double click the folder named "Public".

4. Click “Add files” and then upload the screenshot and the System Information.

You can upload the files to your own Skydrive and provide me the link as well.

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, September 04, 2009 12:52 AM
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 5:58 AM