none
Windows 8 black screen on startup.

Question

•  I recently installed Windows 8 and I am loving the experience till lately when I startup and face an issue. A back screen only with a movable cursor. Windows works fine when I force shutdown and start again. I read a few forums in regards to this problem and I presume it has something to do with Graphic drivers. I have an Ati Radeon 6550 that has all the latest drivers and I have a Msi 790gx g65 motherboard. Could someone please help me solve this problem. Thanks a lot.
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Use Windows 8 restore.

Regards

Milos

Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:33 PM
  • A back screen only with a movable cursor.

As an alternative some find that an alternate monitor is working Ok or they can just assume that everything is Ok and continue on by using the keyboard.   Therefore, please see if pressing Win-P, CursorUp, Enter  does anything for you instead of the workaround you are now using.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:43 PM
  • Hi,

What have you done before the issue occurs?

Try to logon with Safe Mode for test. If it doesn’t work, please perform a system restore.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2013 3:41 AM
  • I don't think it is to do with Graphics driver or anything. Please see my post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itproinstall/thread/2556f293-ce0a-4d4f-aaf7-5254aaff8f22

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:58 PM
  • I'm having the same problem, black screen, cursor and nothing else. It shows up right after the log in screen. No keys work. and it does not go away as others have said. The only way to get anything done is to ctrl+alt+del and start the task manager, then right click on something (anything) in the processes and highlight 'go to file location'. This opens the explorer tree and allows access to everything. I've been through everything I can think of and not been able to find anything wrong. I created a new profile and still got the black screen.

The problem started after a 'critical windows update' on 13apr13. I reset the machine back to 03Apr and still the problem persisted. I then reinstalled all the updates to bring the machine up to date and still the problem has persisted. I'm lost.

Friday, April 19, 2013 1:16 PM
  • The only way to get anything done is to ctrl+alt+del and start the task manager

Then you should use it to check if explorer.exe is running and if it is not, restart it.

BTW do you have something called Easy Bits installed?

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/magic-desktop-installed-now-i-have-complete-black/89be1c16-86a5-4aa3-907c-f925e7fa9427

FYI

Robert
    ---

Friday, April 19, 2013 2:35 PM
  • I had the same problem, but I got it resolved.

The black screen was because I had installed avast antivirus in my laptop that day. So I restored my laptop to a point before installing avast and now I got my win8 metro screen back. You may have installed some programs like avast which was not compatible with win8 , just try restoring, it will work :)

Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Hi Robert, No "Easy Bits" and explorer.exe was not running. I tried to restart it, but it would not restart...no response from the machine. I finally got a Dell Tech Rep on the line and he had me do a complete machine reset. That worked and I have not had any problems since. My best guess is that something got corrupted in the update. Thanks for your help.

• Edited by Little_axe Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:42 PM
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:41 PM
  • No, I had not done anything. The machine just went dark after the update. I tried restore to a point far enough back that it would work but no dice. FYI, if restore doesn't do it 'Reset" will, but you will lose files and installed programs...it's a last resort. Thanks for you input.
    • Edited by Little_axe Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Our new Windows 8 laptop has started up twice with the black/blue screen and cursor. 

1st recovery was by using a combination of the Win-P, CursorUP, Enter then going to a voice prompt. I'm not certain how I got to that voice other than Tab and Enter, but it worked. 

2nd recovery was much easier. After reading a suggestion to disconnect all add ons except the mouse and then power off and on again, I opted to remove the Wireless Logitec Mouse first and power on. 

Response: Windows 8 login screen opened normally. No special reboot or recovery was needed. 

If this happens again I will update this post. 

Saturday, January 25, 2014 9:47 PM