none
Windows 7 Install Error - Winload.exe 0xc0000098 What Next?

Question

•  Hello, new to this forum. I hope someone can help.

I have been trying to install Windows 7 Beta onto an AMD machine and continously get a Winload.exe error. The error read as such:
    "\windows\system32\boot\winload.exe"
    "Status: 0xc0000098"
    "The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt"
    I have burned the ISO with 3 different programs, have loaded it on another machine without problems, tried to install from flash drive and have tried various hard drives. My Computer is as below:

HP a420n
    AMD Athlon 2600+
    ASUS A7V8X-LA (Kamet 2)
    2.0 G Main Board Memory
    ATI Radeon 9200
    Seagate 80G (tried Maxtor 40g, Seagate 300g)
    Pioneer DVD-RW 112-D
    Samsung DVD-R SH162C

I have tried removing the video card and used the mainboard card, taken out half the memory, disconnected dvd drives so that only one is installed, updated the BIOS, disconnected all USB connections.
    Im I fighting a mainboard incompatibility issue? I have installed XP many times with no problem.
    I have also run the Vista compatibility test and shows a pass status (except the video card was a bit low).
    I CANNOT install windows Vista either. I get a similar error about winload, except the error with vista states:
    "It's header checksum does not match the computed checksum."
    Any ideas? Is this machine slated to be an XP machine only?
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 2:38 PM

Answers

• CJKinney said:

Hello, new to this forum. I hope someone can help.

I have been trying to install Windows 7 Beta onto an AMD machine and continously get a Winload.exe error. The error read as such:
    "The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt"
    I have burned the ISO with 3 different programs, have loaded it on another machine without problems, tried to install from flash drive and have tried various hard drives. My Computer is as below:

I CANNOT install windows Vista either. I get a similar error about winload, except the error with vista states:

If you cannot install Vista on the machine, I would have no expectation of a successful Windows 7 installation either.

If the Vista compatibility test shows you a "pass status except the video card..." then I would first recommend determining if that video card is Vista compliant.

I'll also speculate, based on what you've posted, that it's the onboard video that's not passing the Vista compatibility checks. Try disabling the onboard video, reinstalling your video card, and rerunning the Vista compatibility tests. Your ATI Radeon 9200 card is more than sufficient to run Vista.

It could also be that you simply have a defective DVD reader, and the errors are being caused by Read Errors. Have you received these errors with both of your DVD drives?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Friday, February 06, 2009 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi
    How many hdd you have?
    It looks to me as incorrect hdd boot order issue
    Try changing hdd boot order from bios boot menu.
    If you have win xp installed you can also try to set correct win7/vista partition using easybcd, but be careful, because if you use easybcd incorrectly pc may have boot problem, so better try arranging hdd boot order
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 2:47 PM
  • I have had one and two drives connected at a time. I have set my boot order in the bios as well. I have tried installing with XP on the primary drive (wanted to install to the 2nd drive), tried with both HDD's formatted, and with one drive - stand-alone with both XP installed and fresh format.
    The error occurs when I boot from CD for a clean install. I cannot even get to selecting a HDD to boot to.
    I have tried thru XP and when the file extraction get to 55%, it says windows cannot load, and reverts back to XP.
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 3:20 PM
  • What is your MB model?
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 5:19 PM
  • CJKinney said:

Hello, new to this forum. I hope someone can help.

If you cannot install Vista on the machine, I would have no expectation of a successful Windows 7 installation either.

If the Vista compatibility test shows you a "pass status except the video card..." then I would first recommend determining if that video card is Vista compliant.

I'll also speculate, based on what you've posted, that it's the onboard video that's not passing the Vista compatibility checks. Try disabling the onboard video, reinstalling your video card, and rerunning the Vista compatibility tests. Your ATI Radeon 9200 card is more than sufficient to run Vista.

It could also be that you simply have a defective DVD reader, and the errors are being caused by Read Errors. Have you received these errors with both of your DVD drives?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Friday, February 06, 2009 5:57 PM
  • I had this problem also... it really came down to a very bad boot loader that would not go away. I ended up having to "really" reformat the whole drive with my hard drive utility disc so that it would go away, though there may be other ways to remove it that would be less troublesome.

In my case I actually had vista installed and working perfectly, I installed windows 7... which has way too many boot problems (if you can get it working in the first place)... so I gave up and tried to reinstall vista, which then continued to present me with this error when it tried to boot. Only after clearing the boot loader was I able to reinstall xp, vista (or even windows 7) again.

My idea is that clearing the partitions during install does not actually change the boot loader, which is still trying to load something that is no longer there. In this persons case I don't think it has anything to do with the video card or boot order or ISO. The error they are indicating is one where it is trying to LOAD windows but failing, meaning that it never even tries to load drivers or devices to have trouble.

The header cheksum error might just be saying that it is trying to load vista's winload.exe which would have a different checksum then the one the boot loader is trying to load, possibly a way to prevent incompatablity or malicious programing.

On a side note: I had hoped that the RC would fix the boot problems, or even have the repair boot problem function work.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:52 AM
  • This might be old news now, but I got this error installing Win7 x64 onto a clean, new build. I had a SSD and a HDD connected at first, thinking to use the SSD for boot and apps, and the HDD for data. On boot, Win7 must have gotten confused about which of these drives was designated as "C" and, when it tried to read back winload.exe, it looked at the wrong drive and couldn't find it. I solved this by unplugging the HDD for the initial installation.
    Monday, November 15, 2010 6:35 AM