none
Failed to connect... error

Question

• Every time I try to add a new folder or organize/modify items in the existing folder my computer thinks and then the folder becomes "non-responsive".  Sometimes it times out, but more often I have to log out.  The following error message pops up:

"Failed to connect to a Windows Service
    Window's couldn't connect to the windows all-user
    install agent service. This problem prevents standard
    users from signing in.
    As an administrative user, you can review the system
    event log for details about why the service didn't respond."

I've no idea how to troubleshoot this.  I tried looking up info... and the event log.  No success.  Can anyone walk me through it?  I'm very unfamiliar with Windows 8 and this is a pain in the ass. 

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:06 AM

Answers

• On 4/16/2013 2:00 PM, tiffany1984 wrote:

So I found the event log, but I have no idea what to do. It's now doing this error for all folders opened instead of one.  I don't understand!!!

Here's the log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        IconMan_R
    Date:          4/16/2013 10:56:55 AM
    Event ID:      0
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SilverBullet
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 0 from source IconMan_R cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

57ABB395  dwOpcode: 0x0D, evtype: 0x12

You should either stop the service or stop and remove the service.
     <http://www.bing.com/search?q=IconMan_R&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=iconman_r&sc=6-9&sp=-1&sk=>
     How to get to the service, because it may be set to start every time the Win 8 is booted.

1 -- Use Windows-key and X-Key combination
    2 -- Go to Control Panel
    3 -- Go to top of the screen and click the Control Panel to open the list of options
    4 -- select "All Control Panel items"
    5 -- select Administrator tools
    6 -- select Component Services
    7 -- double-click Local Services
    8 -- find the  IconMan_R service and double-click the line
    9 -- shutdown the service and put the service into manual startup

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:32 PM

All replies

• You'll want to look at errors recorded in the Application and System Event logs to see the errors concerning this.
     <http://windows7themes.net/event-viewer-how-to-check-windows-8-logs-to-analyze-errors-system-problems-and-events.html>

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:43 AM
  • So I found the event log, but I have no idea what to do. It's now doing this error for all folders opened instead of one.  I don't understand!!!

Here's the log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        IconMan_R
    Date:          4/16/2013 10:56:55 AM
    Event ID:      0
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SilverBullet
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 0 from source IconMan_R cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:00 PM
  • On 4/16/2013 2:00 PM, tiffany1984 wrote:

So I found the event log, but I have no idea what to do. It's now doing this error for all folders opened instead of one.  I don't understand!!!

Here's the log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        IconMan_R
    Date:          4/16/2013 10:56:55 AM
    Event ID:      0
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SilverBullet
    Description:

You should either stop the service or stop and remove the service.
     <http://www.bing.com/search?q=IconMan_R&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=iconman_r&sc=6-9&sp=-1&sk=>
     How to get to the service, because it may be set to start every time the Win 8 is booted.

1 -- Use Windows-key and X-Key combination
    2 -- Go to Control Panel
    3 -- Go to top of the screen and click the Control Panel to open the list of options
    4 -- select "All Control Panel items"
    5 -- select Administrator tools
    6 -- select Component Services
    7 -- double-click Local Services
    8 -- find the  IconMan_R service and double-click the line
    9 -- shutdown the service and put the service into manual startup

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:32 PM