none
How do I recover the Operating System and resell a refurbished PC

Question

• Assuming a refurbished brand named OEM PC:
    - cosmetic repair and/or replacement of defective minor PC components, original or identical motherboard,
    - having its original COA and Windows key,
    - wiped hard drive
    - no original recovery media
    - recovery media is not available from the manufacturer
    - the PC has been used for a short period (less than 6 months)

Questions:
    1. Is it possible to purchase replacement OEM system recovery media except from the manufacturer?
    2. If it is not possible is there any legal way to recover the OS and sell the PC?

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:41 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can install an OEM Windows 7 operating system.  Please remember to include the DVD disc and all materials that come with it to the buyer.  Yes, you should remove the existing Windows COA since it is now invalid since no recovery option is available.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by Spiro177 Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:54 PM

All replies

• You would need to contact the original PC manufacturer and ask them how to obtain their OEM Windows recovery DVD.

Carey Frisch

• Proposed as answer by AdamDaniells Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:19 PM
  • This does not answer any of the questions
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Questions:
    1. Is it possible to purchase replacement OEM system recovery media except from the manufacturer? A. No

2. If it is not possible is there any legal way to recover the OS and sell the PC? A. No.  You can sell the PC without an operating system if you wish.  Otherwise, you'll need to purchase a "Full Version" operating system and install it.  Example: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Thank you for your answer!

Otherwise, you'll need to purchase a "Full Version" operating system and install it.

Q1: Since this is a refurbished PC intended for resell I think a OEM version would be completely legal
    Example:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Is that correct?

Q2. If I sell the PC without Microsoft OS should I remove the COA sticker from the PC?
    i.e. if there is a COA but no OS would it be considered distribution of COA without the software that it was intended to accompany?

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Yes, you can install an OEM Windows 7 operating system.  Please remember to include the DVD disc and all materials that come with it to the buyer.  Yes, you should remove the existing Windows COA since it is now invalid since no recovery option is available.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by Spiro177 Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:54 PM