none
Windows 7 stalls for about a minute now and then.

Question

• Win 7 on my Asus Notebook stalls time to time. The mouse is not locked. But you cannot do anything. It takes about a minute or sometimes more. The hard disk is light is on during this time. Obviously it is reading or writing something. The mouse actions are stored in this time. When the stall ends, it does every mouse action. Does anyone have anything similar, or an answer?
    Friday, December 18, 2009 11:22 PM

Answers

• Give us Hardware specification (CPU, Chipset, or at least the specific model of the Laptop).

If AMD: Update drivers (really all of them), the drivers released by AMD a day ago solved my performance strangeness which I had since end of September.

My thread (which is solved now):
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/thread/6a116588-a3a9-491f-a06a-8ec966c434ac

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, December 25, 2009 2:10 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 10:43 AM
  • Add to Setsunaaa's suggestion, the issue can also be related to software and other hardware devices and drivers. Please try the following suggestions to check the result:

1.     When the issue occurs, please press Ctrl+Shift+Esc combine key to bring up Task Manager.

2.     On the Processes tab, please find the process which is taking the most usage of the CPU.

Can the culprit be found?

Also, please unplug all unnecessary devices and then go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs.

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please move on to see if the issue occurs in Clean Boot. (Please refer to the steps for Windows Vista in this knowledge base (KB) article) If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue still exists or if the culprit still cannot be found, please use Process Explorer to check the issue.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, December 21, 2009 7:51 AM

All replies

• Give us Hardware specification (CPU, Chipset, or at least the specific model of the Laptop).

If AMD: Update drivers (really all of them), the drivers released by AMD a day ago solved my performance strangeness which I had since end of September.

My thread (which is solved now):
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/thread/6a116588-a3a9-491f-a06a-8ec966c434ac

Saturday, December 19, 2009 10:43 AM
  • Add to Setsunaaa's suggestion, the issue can also be related to software and other hardware devices and drivers. Please try the following suggestions to check the result:

1.     When the issue occurs, please press Ctrl+Shift+Esc combine key to bring up Task Manager.

2.     On the Processes tab, please find the process which is taking the most usage of the CPU.

Can the culprit be found?

Also, please unplug all unnecessary devices and then go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs.

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please move on to see if the issue occurs in Clean Boot. (Please refer to the steps for Windows Vista in this knowledge base (KB) article) If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue still exists or if the culprit still cannot be found, please use Process Explorer to check the issue.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, December 21, 2009 7:51 AM
  • This is an Asus F3SC-AP109C Notebook with Intel Duo T7100 CPU 2 Gig of RAM Nvidia GeForce 8400M G 128MB.
    When the stall occurs you cannot do anything. Only the mouse moves. Nothing else. So you cannot start the task manager.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:21 PM
  • I have the same problem.  My hardware is completely different: MSI MS-7522 motherboard, i7 processor, 12 Gig RAM, NVIDA Quadro FX 3800.  The memory tests fine.  When this happens, the Windows Task Manager does not show any task that is using the CPU.  The mouse moves, and mouse clicks are stored and execute after the stall is over.  The disk drive is fully active the whole time.  Aside from these minute-long stalls, the system works fine and shows no virus or trojans with any of several scanners.  The task manager does show various tasks as "Not Responding", but these clear up and return to "Running" after a minute or so.

Another piece of possibly relevent information: the system seem to do this sometimes at boot, before the first "Windows 7" screen there is a 2 minute delay with a blank screen except for a blinking cursor in the upper left and constant disk activity.  It will always do this after the computer has been off for a while, but when it has only been off a short time it doesn't do it: the boot goes straight to the "Windows 7" screen and animation.

This activity seems like the creation of a "System Restore Point".  I wonder if it's some kind of system restore point activity, where the resources (i.e. disk space) is inadequate, and requires erasure and shuffling of disk space.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Hi,
    My Asus G1 notebook came with Vista, but it had this problem too on the Windows 7 Beta and RC, and I never tracked down the culprit.  It seemed to never do it after a fresh install, so I blammed myself.  It's never done it with the final version though.  Did your notebook come with 7?
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:01 AM
  • Well, I haven't been checking this forum for a while... The problem disappeared. I don't know why. It may be because of some windows updates. But I really don't know how it disappeared.
    But in the meantime I made a test. I have a backup image of my system, which I made when I first installed Win 7 on my notebook. I backed up the computer and then reinstalled that early backup. The problem started again. Then I realized that the problem was with Windows 7 itself and it was patched by one of the Windows updates. Then I reinstalled the latest backup. There was no problem. 
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Hi

I still have this problem even though I'm using an updated Windows 7 Enterprise Edition, with genuine licence. It's like the system is making a Thread.Sleep() for all threads :-D. I will try in Safe Mode and Clean boot. And see if:

1) It's the wireless card,

2) If it's Steam

3) If it's some Logitech Driver.

I already disabled Windows Search, so this goes out of my perimeter search. This stalling also ends a Skype conversation. I am not having any AMD hardware on my Notebook.

Monday, July 12, 2010 12:35 PM