none
8.1 security center disabled access denied in services.msc

Question

• i logged on after a fresh install, having only installed app armor free, trend micro titanium 2013, notepad++, openoffice.org, and begun installing guild wars 2 after 8.1 upgrade. I also changed my dns servers to Norton connect safe settings for ipv4 and open dns for ipv6. I haven't had any alerts other than the one, no boot issues, and even the annoying restart to correct errors on the drive that I was having on my last install hasn't showed up. it says security center did not start, I click start now it says cannot start, I enter services or services.msc and run as admin, and find that security center is disabled, only access is denied to start it up automatic (delayed start) even though I'm on an administrative account. I tried a kb article autofix with fixit to start security center and it had said it was resolved, but it did not resolve. I tried a reboot as well, the error just keeps showing up. i'm not sure how to handle the issue and i'm far too new to windows (especially 8.1) administrative tasks to know what to do. can someone help?
    Sunday, December 01, 2013 3:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, I noticed that you installed Norton, isn't it? if so, Security Center can't be started untill you uninstall these 3rd security software.

If I misunderstand what you meant, please feel free let us know.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 6:58 AM

All replies

• i wanted to add that I booted in safe mode, and I was able to set security center to automatic (delayed start) and it ran, but insofar as the root cause for it disabling itself and refusing to start outside of safe mode is anyone's guess for me at this point.
    Sunday, December 01, 2013 4:25 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I noticed that you installed Norton, isn't it? if so, Security Center can't be started untill you uninstall these 3rd security software.

If I misunderstand what you meant, please feel free let us know.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 6:58 AM