none
0x80072ee6 - Error while installing Live Messenger 9 (build 14.0.5027.908)

Question

•  

Hello

I am trying to use the WLM web setup when i download it and run the installer it says preparing installer than gives error

0x80072ee6

google shows windows update as reference to 0x80072ee6 and to re-register msxml3.dll and reboot, this has been done aswell as other things such as delete cache etc.

cant find a way to get this working!

Vista HP SP1

Monday, September 22, 2008 2:04 PM

All replies

•  

didn't you try regsvr32 msxml3.dll      with administrative previliege
    Monday, September 22, 2008 3:17 PM
  •  

Yes i did. then rebooted.  tried disabling UAC too.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 3:24 PM
  • anyone?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:55 PM
  • It also alter : 0x80072ee6 and can't install
    Monday, October 27, 2008 5:51 AM
  • I have the same problem, i try install the new version of WLM, but it dont work, when i run the installer, this show the message: "A fatal error has ocurred ERROR 0x80072ee6". Please help me. i can´t live without msn
    Monday, November 17, 2008 4:38 AM
  • I am recieving exactly the same error message when i try to install windows live messenger...I have contacted microsoft and nothing has been resolved yet..
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Windows live support managed to solve the problem for me..i will paste the email below.

Here are the steps to walk you through the process. They're pretty straightforward so I'm sure that you won't have problems performing them.

1. Remove all older versions of Windows Live Services (if you have previously installed or attempted to install any Windows Live Services). Clear the entries your computer by following the steps below.

a.      Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl and then click OK.

b.      In the list of currently installed programs, select any Windows Live (you may see more than one program with the Windows Live name) and then click Change / Remove.

c.      If you are prompted to confirm, click Yes.

d.      Do this until all Windows Live programs (except Windows Live OneCare) are uninstalled.

1. Restart your computer. This is important.

1. Once you have all the above dependencies installed, then download and install the appropriate software from the links below based on your language requirements. To perform this installation, follow these steps:

a.      Visit this link: http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-all.exe   

b.      Save the file to your desktop

c.      Then Select Run

Note: If you are prompted for confirmation to run the program, select Run

d.      Confirm your acceptance of the Terms of Use and the installation will begin

1. Once the install is complete, drag the WLSetup.exe file to the Recycle Bin (this file is no longer needed)

• Proposed as answer by Bond, James Monday, May 11, 2009 8:09 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:20 PM
  • Thank you very much, Gurps123wu. This way finally worked for me! :D
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 12:23 AM
  • Thank you very much. It's been driving me crazy with this download that won't doownload. Thiis did it.

By the way, I (and many, many, others) have this other problem. Since you're good at fixing these things do you know how to fix this:
    (Happens about 75% of the time!)

After I log in to my user profile I get the following message:

Your user profile was not loaded correctly!
    You have been logged on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off. Please see the event log for details or contact your administrator.

Microsoft Product: Windows Operating System

Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Event

ID: 1515

Event Source: Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service

Thank you! Tom
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Gurps you are a hero! Thanks a lot

Love,

Joensen grateful
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:15 PM
  • You are a 'Genious' GZA!!
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:18 PM
  • plz help people .. this didnt work

!!!!!!!!

• Proposed as answer by DJayTekky Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:25 AM
    Friday, June 05, 2009 6:07 PM
  • plz help people .. this didnt work

!!!!!!!!

uninstall everything to do with MSN (apart from onecare)

then

You need to run regedit, go to Find and type Messenger.

Delete all enteries it finds not just the keys but the Location file once done reboot

then

that should now work :)

as its what ive just done and all is good :)
    • Proposed as answer by DJayTekky Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:27 AM
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Gurps, you are a superstar. You are a genius.

Kisses.....................

Thanks a lot.

Connie
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Thank you for advices, but I have tried on mine, it is a vista home premium with SP2. I exactly followed your steps (To control panel and click Change / Remove on Windows Live icon.....) 

But.... It didnt work, I saw the loading circle of vista and after few seconds it stopped with nothing happen further, the windows live is still here and preventing me from upgrade to a new version, after tht everytime I tried to install I saw the error message 0x80072ee6

Plx Help , Thx Thx Thx
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 5:09 AM
  • I did as you stated above but I did not have A Windows Live OneCare installed and there was nothing installed that mentioned Windows Live, but I went into the site http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-all.exe It alway's brought to MSN and I could not find anything that mentioned Microsoft Live except Live Mail.

Thank God for editing ...I finally got Windows Live to work ...Thank you very much Gurps123wu for your guidance and knowledge .

Have a great Christmas .

Thanks
    Don
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:37 PM
  • hallo,
    i have he same problem
    i go to software and i removed all programms with windows live or messenger , than i started my pc and i saved the file  mentiend in grups123uw answer but in live download page i found you have already messenger so i go to c programm and i deleted all files with messenger in their name but the situation still the same can any one help me please??
    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Hi Please help im getting 100% on installing then it starts rolling back and still getting error 0x80072ee6 hope someone can help
    thanks
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Thank You Big Times (: 
    ash...
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Thank you very much, Gurps123wu. I had the 0x80072ee6 error too.  Your g:live.com link  worked for me! and it's in English! Wish I had found your post earlier, I was just about to give up. kbk
    • Proposed as answer by kbkhtx Monday, July 05, 2010 3:59 PM
    Monday, July 05, 2010 3:59 PM
  • I'm having this same error message as well. After trying Gurps' solution at least 3 times, and also having tried CCleaner to fix supposed registry errors.. 

The web installer still gives the 0x08872ee6 error

Windowsupdate.com suggest install Live Essentials, same error

The downloaded installer can install fully, but gives the same error upon loading.

For reference, just prior to this error occurring, I got a window saying messenger was opened at more than one place, I clicked on the 'close other one', which caused WLM to crash followed by this error upon trying to restart it.

Anything else I should try ? Thanks.

Friday, July 30, 2010 1:02 AM
  • me too, try all the methods still stating gives the 0x08872ee6 error, anyone can help?
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Yo, I am quite sure, my method above will work if you follow it exactly. Don't skip any of the steps, and reboot when instructed.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:06 PM
  • this did help for me :)

OK, following advice I found here , I removed all the Windows Live applications from my computer, and then tried installing again.

Using the web installer did not work, though, and gave me the same error. I then downloaded the wlsetup-all.exe, and the installation worked.

This address is given in the above link for the full Live Messenger Installer:
    http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-all.exe
    I chose to download from the same address as the web installer I got in download.live.com, so I can't vouch for that address.

I don't know if removing the existing apps helped at all, but Messenger remembered all my settings, so I'm happy.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:37 PM
  • 感谢,这对我很有用。

By the way,I'm a Chinese.

伟大坦然地与低微并肩同行,平凡却不与他们为伍。
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 9:48 AM
  • It works. Thank you.
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 3:02 AM
  • OMFGGGGGGGGGG TY. YOU'RE LIKE A GOD. 

I HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR HALF A YEAR, AND I SEARCHED SO MANY FORUMS, BUT NO1 KNEW WHAT TO DO.

AND NOW YOU'RE ADVICE HELPED ME

TNX SO MUCHHHHH

Monday, January 17, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Hey Gurps, I'm from The Netherlands and had also problems to install the new messenger (And I had no choice to do not so, the 2009-version didn't log in anymore) and I followed your steps (on the dutch forum there's was a link to your solution here). It worked!!! Thank you! Had a stressful weekend with trying to download messenger 6 times. And on a rainy mondayevening with your tip it worked in 15 minutes!!!
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Hi, same problem. download went all rite. installation started and at about 80%  it started 'rolling back'. no install. what vcan i do?
    • Edited by Peter Rhoon Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:06 PM new developments
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was having this problem for many months...But now everything is ok with your help =)

Thanks again !!!! Kisses :*

Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:55 PM