none
Cannot Uninstall XP SP3

Question

• I am running Windows XP with SP3 recently installed, but my RSLogix software does not work after the update, so I would like to roll back SP3. However, none of the 4 methods from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249 worked. There is no C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder listed even under hidden files. System Restore did not work. Do I need to try a repair install?
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:35 PM

All replies

• are you sure you did not use a XP disc which already contains SP3 - all the discs since 2008 contain it already. If so, its part of the OS and cannot be uninstalled, just like Vista discs with SP2 in them and so on ..

If you are sure it was initially XP SP2 (SP1) (rtm ) : have you deleted the $NtServicePackUninstall$ folders ? Have you used tools like CCleaner,Tuneup Utilities, Disk Wipers, Space Regainers .. ? Then you might have deleted the Uninstall files that Windows would need to undo the changes.

Without $NtServicePackUninstall$ you can't undo SP3. 

XP SP2 is dead and unsupported, no more updates, not even security patches , so you must deal with SP3 if you wish to use XP in any case . "Going back to SP2" would be foolish, excuse my words. XP itself is insecure, so how much more without updates ( SP2 is no longer patched by Microsoft )

If your application is not SP3 ready, you should worry about the application, not with Windows XP. What will you do once you have to update to Vista or Win7 ? Contact the Vendor of said "RSLOGIX" application to help you.

The OS Tweaking Guy ;)
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:01 PM