none
BSoD BCCode 116

Question

• I got my New computer built last night, got Windows 7 installed, and if I leave it alone idleing it seems to run fine (although I have not tried running it for too long). However if I do anything such as scrolling a window or moving the cursor the display begins to artifact or pixlate, eventually the display becomes unresponsive, i can move the cursor but not click on anything. I then crash and get the BSoD report listed below. I have found that 116 is usually a video driver issue.. I have installed the latest and greatest drivers and CCC from ATI/AMD from thier web site, this has changed nothing. I have tried a clean boot (I only show one service other then a windows startup service) and that changed nothing. Did I just get a MoBo with a bad graphics unit?

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
      OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
      Locale ID: 1033
    Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode: 116
      BCP1: FFFFFA80039274E0
      BCP2: FFFFF8800465A694
      BCP3: FFFFFFFFC0000001
      BCP4: 0000000000000003
      OS Version: 6_1_7600
      Service Pack: 0_0
      Product: 256_1

System Specs
      CoolerMaster RC-690
      AMD PII X4 965BE (stock HSF)(No Overclocking done)
      ASUS M4A78T-E MoBo (updated BIOS to 2105 through ASUS update utility)
      OCZ DDR3 1600 4GB(2x2gb) OCZ3OB1600LV4GK
        I have RAM set in BIOS @ 1333 7-7-7-20 and 1.64v
      Western Digital Caviar Black HDD
      Samsung DVD burner
      OCZ 500 Watt PSU

Friday, November 06, 2009 4:12 PM

All replies

• Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available via Windows Live Skydrive or similar site?
    Friday, November 06, 2009 5:13 PM
  • I can do that tonight when I get home from work.
    Friday, November 06, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Hi niacine,

I'd suggest ensuring you're using the latest version of the video drivers available, but since you've tried that - what about reverting to a previous version of the driver?  Ensure you're running the most recent BIOS version, as well.  Again, if you are and it does not affect the behavior, consider reverting to a previous version.  Also ensure you're using the latest firmware for your devices.

Is the bugcheck code consistent, or does it vary?

Have you tried a device clean boot?
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 12:44 AM
  • http://cid-2e9188d078b51649.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Documents

Got a few crash dumps in there I debugged it to the best of my abilites and it points to atikmdag.sys, I have found that this is something well known but as far as I can see with no reasonable resolution or logical pattern to why it starts. this has apparently been lurcking about since 2007 in Vista  if you google for atikmdag.sys you'll see what all i've been looking at.
    This is really frustrating I have not built or purchased a new computer  in at least 5 years and I went back to who I used to liek AMD/ATI only to find this :/ now I have an expensive paperweight, and I start my next round of classes this week. meh.

To responde yes I have tried a clean boot, CCC doesn't show in the startup services but it seems to be running anyways. I have tried to uninstall it but it seems to do it anyways.

this is an interesting post on it too, but I haven't dug much deeper yet.
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=104677
    I am also seeing that NVidia/Intell users are having this issue as well. Does anyone know a way to test my onboard GPU?
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:21 PM
  • The problem does appear to be a driver issue specifically the atikmdag.sys.

However, from the minidump files, there were other drivers in the stack. One of the drivers was the dxgkrnl.sys with a timestamp of "Mon Jul 13 19:38:56 2009".

You may benefit from installing the following update which should update the dxgkrnl.sys along with other system files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974431

You can install that update manually or by using Windows Update.

BTW, what GPU do you have?

Saturday, November 07, 2009 7:40 PM
  • I will add that to my list of things to do, I have some more crash dump since then as I was attempting to get things running last night adfter uploading those.

I am using the onboard GPU which is a Radeon 3300. I am also wondering if my RAM isn't compatible with my MoBo as it doesn't run ddr3 1600 natively which is why i maually set my ddr3 ram to 1333 althought I have noticed that although the 1333 stuck my timings are reverting to 9-9-9-24. Some people have said that this atikmdag.sys erroe is sometimes cause by a hardware issue that gets kind of lumped in with it being a driver issue because it shuts the GPU down. I am also running a rather ancient LCD monitor could this in anyway be whacking my GPU?

So far this is what I am thinking for possibilities.
    CCC,
    ATI/AMD drivers
    RAM
    bad MoBo (onboard GPU)
    Monitor (i think this one is a longshot)

As for Debugging why is it I can't get my debugging tools to load the symbols for atikmdag.sys?

I know that it isn't just a random conflict it is hindering my displays ability to render anything, I have to scroll web pages very slowly or the image blanks, also random things flash or pixelate, this seems to happen when I uninstall the ATI drivers allthogether although when I get home tonight I am going to try and uninstall again and run a driver cleaner.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 8:04 PM
  • It is quite possible the problem is hardware. I don't think it would be the monitor though.

Do you have an open slot for a dedicated GPU and can you obtain a dedicated GPU for testing?
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 8:34 PM
  • I do have open PCIe slots (right now this system is actually pretty minimal on hardware) but I am not sure when I could get my hands on a card without buying one, which I am unsure i'd want to commit to that either. same problem with the RAM.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Whether the problem is hardware or software would seem to be difficult to determine, for this type of error.  Some operation is returning error code c0000001, which is a generic "STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL" - "{Operation Failed}": "The requested operation was unsuccessful." code. 
    As for Debugging why is it I can't get my debugging tools to load the symbols for atikmdag.sys?
    It's a third-party driver, and third-parties don't often make public symbols available.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 11:26 AM
  • Well, I started messing with my northbridge voltage, and by raising it a little I was able to run the ATI driver for, but when I tried browsing through a website with a lot of graphics and a video I got the TDR again, and a BSoD, slightly different Hex codes I have a screenshot but I didn't get the third parameter in the stop code... anyways below is a link to that latest dump file.. I am kind of at a loss it seemed like the northbridge voltage was helping and then kaput.. I had to turn aero off to be able to browse the desktop after that. I have manual set in a few of my cpu and mobo voltages but I am basically around stock voltage for everything although I couldn't find out what the recommended stock NB voltage was so I just stayed within what my MoBo says is safe. Right now running 1.36 I think. I really got no clue at this point.

http://cid-2e9188d078b51649.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/111109-12651-01.dmp

http://cid-2e9188d078b51649.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/BSoD.png

Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:25 PM
  • The timestamp  on the  atikmdag.sys, which caused the crash, is "Sep 23 18:55:17 2009" so you may be able to update the driver.

Also, there appears to be another BIOS update for your mobo but it does not appear to address your issue.

Friday, November 13, 2009 4:42 AM
  • this seems to be RAM related after all... I thought I had already tested both sticks fully before but last night I found that  I can boot with one of my sticks (we'll call it "A") in... but not always with the other (we'll call it "B") both pass memtest86+ seperately Also I can pass PRIME95 blended with one stick( stick "A") but not the other ("B")
    When I run my integrated GPU with both sticks in I get a driver crash (TDR event) and sometimes a BSoD, this doesn't seem to happen when only using stick "A" now that I am only useing stick "A" I can even run aero again.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:03 PM
  • this is my issue too....now i have no real color on my display..everything is just green and black mainly...like the HULK took over or exploded on my lcd screen...can anyone help me? this is my error code:
    Can anyone help me? I got a brand new computer sent to me from dell with this error....they claim its the video card that needs to be replaced...is this even correct? it's my only computer and it crashes constantly and now I can't see any colors...everything is just green! I'm so frustrated :( I waited 5 months for a replacement, just to deal with this :(

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 116
    BCP1: FFFFFA800A7C54E0
    BCP2: FFFFF880046D5834
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 000000000000000D
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1
    Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\112709-21762-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Viki\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-64615-0.sysdata.xml
    Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409
    If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Given that bugcheck 0x116 is "VIDEO_TDR_ERROR", which "indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.", the assessment that the video card may be involved would not appear to be inaccurate.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 11:34 AM
  • this seems to be RAM related after all... I thought I had already tested both sticks fully before but last night I found that  I can boot with one of my sticks (we'll call it "A") in... but not always with the other (we'll call it "B") both pass memtest86+ seperately Also I can pass PRIME95 blended with one stick( stick "A") but not the other ("B")
    When I run my integrated GPU with both sticks in I get a driver crash (TDR event) and sometimes a BSoD, this doesn't seem to happen when only using stick "A" now that I am only useing stick "A" I can even run aero again.

For what it's worth (I don't know if anyone is still following this thread since it is several months old) but I have the same RAM and the same problems and have come to the same conclusion that it is just bad RAM.  It will not run stable at all unless set back to 1333 instead of the 1600 it is rated to run at.  I would be curious to know if you and how you solved your problems.  I'm thinking I will have to eventually replace with a better and higher quality brand like Corsair or Mushkin.  I would RWA them but I really can not afford to be without a running system while waiting on replacements.   !>_<!
    Monday, May 10, 2010 10:11 PM
  • MERHABA  .BEN TÜRKÜM. SİZLERE BİR SORU OLCAK ? BİLGİSAYARIM ÖZELLİKLERİ:
     VİSTA HOME PREMIUM 32 BİT
    ATI RADEON (HIS) ICE Q 3750 EKRAN KARTI
    ASUS Intel G31 P5KPL anakart
    İNTEL CORE 2 DOU CPU 8400 3.00 GHZ
    300 GB HARDİSK SAMSUNG
    400 WAT COOLERMASTER KASA
    2 GB KINGSTON BELLEK 800 
     ATİKMADG .SYS SORUNU YAŞIYORUM
     ACİL YARDIM EDİN OYUN OYNARKEN TAKILIYOR
    Friday, June 18, 2010 10:44 AM