none
Java on windows 8 rt and danish NemID

Question

• Hi.

To use home banking in Denmark you need to authenticate through NemID (https://www.nemid.nu/om_nemid/about_nemid/), which is a java applet running in the browser.
    This applies for all banks in Denmark, which means I need java support to use any kind of home banking in Denmark.
    This also applies to communication with the public services.

To my understanding, this is not possible with a windows 8 RT tablet - correct?

So if I buy a windows 8 RT tablet, it will be impossible to me to have any communication with the public services and home banking in Denmark, unless they all make apps, which is not going to happen.

Is there ANY way to install java on a windows 8 RT tablet?

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:14 PM

Answers

• Not a chance.  You should probably stay away from RT.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:46 PM
  • No it won't work on Windows RT.

It's most likely that your bank will provide a WinRT apps through the store, feel free to contact them to ask them when it will be out.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:16 PM

All replies

• Not a chance.  You should probably stay away from RT.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:46 PM
  • No it won't work on Windows RT.

It's most likely that your bank will provide a WinRT apps through the store, feel free to contact them to ask them when it will be out.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Thank you.

My bank probably will, but my government probably will not.
    In Denmark everything is handled through NemID: New doctor, tax reports, filing information for your municipality, basicly everything. 

Too bad, have to buy an android then to match the price.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:08 PM
  • The Java Runtime is not available on Android as well, sorry.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:57 AM
  • You can use NemID on a tablet with Windows 8 Pro they are rather expensive though. 899$ on the US store which is roughly 5100 DKK.
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

Oracle (former Sun) hasn't released any Java JRE or JDK for RT.

So, for the moment you'll have to choose other operating systems (whether Windows 7 and earlier, Mac or Linux).

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:25 PM
  • The other thing is security. I know nothing about ARM. Can Casper use the Surface with Windows RT securely for this purpose?
    Tuesday, January 01, 2013 11:05 AM
  • Same thing in Norway... its called MinID. I really don't understand why the f#$%ing banks don't make a windows 8 app that's also compatible with RT. Most banks have managed that on crappy os's like ios and android...
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:16 PM