none
Skype DirectX Error

Question

• For the last few weeks whenever I make a skype call, I am unable to see anything from the recipient's camera. Instead, this message appears:

"Can't start video renderer. Check you've got a valid DirectX installation."

Interestingly, the recipient never has any trouble seeing the video feed from my camera.

I am using a Microsoft LifeCam VX 3000 and Windows XP service pack 3, and I have DirectX 9 installed.

I have reinstalled skype, reinstalled my webcam software, and I have tried the "Many Cam" fix suggested here http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=594951 . Nothing is working so far. How do I fix this?

Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:19 AM

All replies

• Can you see the feed from your own camera? When you open Windows explorer, you should be able to view your own cam.

Are you using Skype 5?

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Hi Charles,

This is a common known issue with MS life cam and indeed cams in general with skype.

The new release of skype is unable to arbitrate between the skype webcam aquiring driver and the MS life cam centre driver.

To resolve this:

* Close Skype completely

* Ensure Skype is closed in Task Manager

* Shut down the MS life cam application and ensure it is also shut down in task manager

* Re-Launch skype and re-test camera

Kind Regards,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    • Proposed as answer by MEIRLModerator Monday, August 01, 2011 5:24 PM
    Monday, August 01, 2011 5:24 PM