none
Windows 8.1 upgrade to Pro using full Windows 8 Pro key

Question

• I have a full version of Windows 8 Pro. I recently purchased a laptop with Windows 8.1 Standard and am trying to use the Windows 8 Pro key to upgrade the 8.1 to the Pro version. Is this possible? (Would assume that I should be able to do this as I am not using the Windows 8 Pro copy on any other machine.
    Monday, December 23, 2013 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Some editions of Windows 8 don’t support updating to Windows 8.1 from the Store. These include the following:

• Windows 8 Enterprise. Talk to your system admin about updating to Windows 8.1.

•Windows 8 Pro, if installed by an organization or a program that uses Volume Licensing. Talk to your system admin, or the administrator of the program that was used to install Windows 8. If you’re the administrator, you can find more info and links to Windows 8.1 ISOs in the Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation.

•Windows 8 Pro, if installed using an MSDN or TechNet ISO, and activated using Multiple Activation Keys. You might be able to download a Windows 8.1 ISO from MSDN or TechNet.

•Windows 8.1 Preview or Windows RT 8.1 Preview. You might still be able to update from the Store.

To find out what edition of Windows is on your PC, see:

Which Windows operating system am I running?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/which-operating-system

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

Of course you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8, without any worries. You just need to download some important updates (available from Windows Update). Then, simply go to store, download it, install it and use it. You're Done.

Regards,

Hi All,

Monday, December 23, 2013 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

Some editions of Windows 8 don’t support updating to Windows 8.1 from the Store. These include the following:

• Windows 8 Enterprise. Talk to your system admin about updating to Windows 8.1.

•Windows 8 Pro, if installed by an organization or a program that uses Volume Licensing. Talk to your system admin, or the administrator of the program that was used to install Windows 8. If you’re the administrator, you can find more info and links to Windows 8.1 ISOs in the Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation.

•Windows 8 Pro, if installed using an MSDN or TechNet ISO, and activated using Multiple Activation Keys. You might be able to download a Windows 8.1 ISO from MSDN or TechNet.

•Windows 8.1 Preview or Windows RT 8.1 Preview. You might still be able to update from the Store.

To find out what edition of Windows is on your PC, see:

Which Windows operating system am I running?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/which-operating-system

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:26 AM