none
Memory error?

Question

•  

Hi

I have had an HP laptop running Vista Home since Dec 2007 and been problem free until beginning of May.  Thats when I first got the following error -

The instruction at ?????????? referenced memory at ??????????(same).  The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc000000e.

This happens for various applications mainly iexplorer.exe and explorer.exe and with various memory references.  When it happens I usually have to remove the battery and power cord from the laptop for a short while before I am able to reboot and get going again.

I did a system restore which seemed to cure the problem but it has returned a couple of weeks ago.  Now I can't system restore further back than the last one i did.

It works fine for a few days then maybe crashes 3 or 4 times in one day.  Only use laptop for internet or e-mail but there doesn't appear to be any correlation to webpages or programs used.

I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and a full Norton 360 scan without finding any problems.

Is this likely to be a software problem which can be solved?  Or a hardware problem in which case I can try going back to PCWorld?  I would prefer not to pay them to sort what hopefully might be something relatively easy.

Thanks

Alasdair Boswell

Friday, August 01, 2008 8:55 AM

Answers

• Alasdair

Just about 95% of 'STOP:' errors (0xc000000e) are hardware related. Normally it's either a hardware device or driver.

The random nature of the behavior is troubling, since it could be something very serious, such as overheating, a failing hard drive, or other hardware component.

If the system is still under warranty, I would recommend returning it to the manufacturer for diagnostic testing.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, August 02, 2008 4:12 AM
  • Will try the above soon. I had already contacted PCWorld and was advised to try a Vista System Recovery first.  I've done that and am now having difficulty restoring my Norton 360 backup.  Getting fed up with Norton support not understanding my problem lol. 

Having said that its been 2 days and problem hasn't resurfaced so fingers crossed...

Monday, August 04, 2008 11:19 AM

All replies

• Alasdair

Just about 95% of 'STOP:' errors (0xc000000e) are hardware related. Normally it's either a hardware device or driver.

The random nature of the behavior is troubling, since it could be something very serious, such as overheating, a failing hard drive, or other hardware component.

If the system is still under warranty, I would recommend returning it to the manufacturer for diagnostic testing.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, August 02, 2008 4:12 AM
  • Hi,

The crash is caused by paging I/O error. this issue possibly because of a bad hard disk drive, a bad disk array, or a bad controller card.

We can try troubleshoot this issue by taking the following steps.

1. Login the computer in Safe Mode.

2. Launch an elevated CMD window.

3. Run the following command:

Chkdsk /R

If a message is received asking if we will schedule the check the next time the system restarts, select "Y". Then restart the computer and we will be able to finish the scan.

4. After that, please try running disk defragment also in "Safe Mode".

5.Restart the computer to test this issue.

If the issue still persists, just like Ronnie said, it is recommended to contact manufacturer for diagnostic testing.

Hope it helps.

Monday, August 04, 2008 3:35 AM
  • Will try the above soon. I had already contacted PCWorld and was advised to try a Vista System Recovery first.  I've done that and am now having difficulty restoring my Norton 360 backup.  Getting fed up with Norton support not understanding my problem lol. 

Having said that its been 2 days and problem hasn't resurfaced so fingers crossed...

Monday, August 04, 2008 11:19 AM
  • Alasdair

That sounds very good.

I know what you mean about Norton, I gave up on them a long time ago.

Take care.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, August 04, 2008 3:29 PM
  •  

Hi AllyB,

Do you have any update on this issue? Does the issue disappear now?

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:16 AM
  • Was ok for a day or two then resurfaced.  Tried your chkdsk / defrag suggestion yesterday and so far so good.  As I said the problem was intermittent so I'm not overly confident.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 11:16 AM
  •  

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:01 AM
  • <form id="aspnetForm" action="edit" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="post">
    <input id="__EVENTTARGET" name="__EVENTTARGET" type="hidden" /> <input id="__EVENTARGUMENT" name="__EVENTARGUMENT" type="hidden" /> <input id="__VIEWSTATE" name="__VIEWSTATE" type="hidden" value="/wEPDwULLTEzNzk0MzkwMDlkZEMpty7R2lukRYyoGDAFiw9m2frw" />
    <script type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript"></script> </form>
    Resources for IT Professionals

<form action="/Forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/fbb730c7-f771-478b-916c-bdfa45aa8475/46448567-4880-44e0-b9c7-cc726fa5724e/edit" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="post">

Edit Message

<textarea cols="100" rows="20" name="body"><p>Hi Robinson,</p> <p>I am also facing same problem. i would like to know the exact solution for this problem.</p> <p>can it be resolved with <span lang="EN-US"><span style="font-size:small"><span style="font-family:Calibri">Chkdsk /R ? or should i call the hardware manufacturer?</span></span></span></p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p> FYI : I am using windows server 2008 operation system </p> <p><span lang="EN-US"><span style="font-size:small; font-family:Calibri">Cheers,</span></span></p> <p><span lang="EN-US"><span style="font-size:small; font-family:Calibri">Ayyappan</span></span></p></textarea>
    <label for="hasCode">Resource.HasCodeLabel</label><input name="hasCode" type="checkbox" value="true" /> <label for="reason">Reason</label><input name="reason" type="text" />
    <input title="Submit" type="submit" value="Submit" />
    </form>
    <script type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript"></script> <noscript></noscript> <noscript></noscript>
    Monday, August 23, 2010 9:56 AM