none
Microsoft Wireless Laser Keyboard 6000 v2 stopped responding

Question

• I installed MS Vista SP1 yesterday morning.  Everything was fine - reboots and all - for the rest of the day.  After I had closed my laptop the first time and opened it back up last night, my keyboard stopped responding.  Put in brand new batteries.  Checked for the latest drivers.  Rebooted several times.  Hit the re-sync buttom on the receiver many times.  When installing batteries, the indicator light on the keyboard stays on for a few seconds, then goes off completely.  Anybody have any ideas?  I have no idea if this is related to SP1 or not, but it is really frustrating (to say the least).

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:31 PM

Answers

• Really didn't want to do a restore or uninstall, so I went out and bought a new (exact same) keyboard to test.  New one works fine.  Must have gotton a bad one.  Thanks anyway for the advice.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to share follwoing suggstion:

1. Try to reinstall Keyboard drive under device management.

2. Use following steps to restore the system to a previous status:

1)     Start the computer by using the Windows Vista DVD. To do this, insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note: To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.

2)     When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on the screen, press a key.

3)     After selecting the language, please click “Repair your computer”.

4)     Click “Windows Complete PC Restore”.

5)     Please select the backup you would like to restore.

6)     Click Finish.

3. Check if the keyboard hardware is working fine.

Hope this helps.

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:36 AM
  • Really didn't want to do a restore or uninstall, so I went out and bought a new (exact same) keyboard to test.  New one works fine.  Must have gotton a bad one.  Thanks anyway for the advice.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:51 PM
  • My 4th Wireless Laser 6000 v2 keyboard died.  Running WinXP, all up-to-date.  I really like this keyboard and mouse, but am about to give up...  Just this evening, booted up, used keyboard for a couple of minutes, then...  Yeesh.  Hardware issue???  Reinstalling keyboard drivers does nothing.  Ideas???

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:39 AM
  •  

I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still does not work. I am not going to do a restore because of this keyboard. The mouse works fine.  If you look in the control panel it shows that the battery is fine and the signal is strong so my laptop sees that it is there but nothing works.

There has to be a better answer than a system restore.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:35 PM
  • I too have been victimized by this keyboard, looks as though it is another useless piece of guano foisted upon us.

Wonder if microsoft has the spine to offer any suggestions or ???

scj

Monday, September 29, 2008 8:37 PM
  • Mine has stopped working too. Tried changing batteries several times, reinstalling drivers etc... Worked for about a second then the calculator appeared and it stopped. now it wont even stop the receiver searching when i press the button on the back of the keboard for getting the right channel. Looked on other tech help sites and it seems a few people are having this problem and there doesn't seem to be any solution, guess its just more MS rubbish so i will replace with a decent brand.
    Tuesday, December 02, 2008 4:49 PM
  •  Exactly the same happened to me. Changed batteries several times, reinstalled drivers. When I connect the calculator pops about 5 times also it does something to the volume and stop connecting to the base, very expensive keyboard to be disposable after about 6 months.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:26 PM
  • OK.  Same thing down to a T.  Started out I could just click the button on the bottom of th keyboard and then it would come back, then got progressively worse until now, it won't even stop the search when envoked.  Occaisionally sends out a stream of keystrokes then may cause the computer to beep, but overall, nothing.  Checked device manager, all OK.  Batteries... good.  Drivers... reinstalled then updated.  Still nothing.  Guess I'll keep searching. 

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 1:18 AM
  • I just had same problem as everyone. Unable to sync (except when the keyboard would return random keystrokes, pop calculator) then connections dies.

Uninstalled, reinstalled drivers, tried on multiple computer with the same problems, multiple brand new batteries, keyboard manager says signal strong despite the fact that i couldn't sync.

Had to buy a 6000 v3.. Really hope it won't "die" the same way in a couple of months.

Why is Microsoft staying silent on this topic ? I mean, originally, it's 90 bucks we all had to shed on this piece of hardware.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:45 PM
  • I'm using Microsoft wireless laser keyboard 5000 with mouse, my keboard can't sync after used for three months, i spent more than two days try to figure out the problem. i press the connect chanel several times, it won't work, i press the receiver multiple times, it won't work either, I thought the keyboard already died. I gave it a last try. finally, i successfully fixed sync problem by push the connect chanel button on the keyboard and the receiver(maybe usb receiver for different model) at the same time. Keyboard start to work. hope this work for you guy!
    • Proposed as answer by csuryakiran Monday, June 11, 2012 8:39 PM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 12:13 AM
  • I can't believe it, but Sanley2012's suggestion to press the channel button on the keyboard and the connect button on the receiver at the same time fixed this issue for me. MS Wireless Laser Keyboard 6000 v2. I didn't touch the drivers or restore anything. I'm actually using it with Linux.

I almost threw this thing away...

Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:51 PM
  • I switched on my pc one morning to find that both keyboard and mouse had stopped working. after a system resore and a hd format and re-installation of windows 7 enterprise, still nothing. bought a 2nd kb & mouse just to get me bye. tried the connect button at the same time as the receiver button and now i have mouse working fine but keyboard has issues recognising some keys. these are the ones i know upto now don`t work ... ` 4 5 6 - = backspace j k l ; zoom key(next to gadgets) ( numbers on numeric pad work fine ) any idea`s guys?
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:29 AM
  • I'm using Microsoft wireless laser keyboard 5000 with mouse, my keboard can't sync after used for three months, i spent more than two days try to figure out the problem. i press the connect chanel several times, it won't work, i press the receiver multiple times, it won't work either, I thought the keyboard already died. I gave it a last try. finally, i successfully fixed sync problem by push the connect chanel button on the keyboard and the receiver(maybe usb receiver for different model) at the same time. Keyboard start to work. hope this work for you guy!

Stanley, u r the man...I tried your method and holy cow...it worked!  Thank you much, guy! :).  No wonder, MS's stock is in the shit house for the last 10 yrs. Such a glitch coulda be fixed so easily but it lets us going thru the pain. I am pissed....
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:33 PM
  • I'm having the same exact problem.... 
    Friday, January 13, 2012 9:21 PM
  • THIS WORKED!~!!!!  THANK YOU!!!!  NICE JOB!!!  :)  
    Friday, January 13, 2012 9:24 PM