none
Backup set wrongly identified as "most recent"

Question

• I backup daily to network attached storage.  After 2 or 3 complete sets are created, I delete the old ones.  Occasionally, when I select the set to delete, the system asks if I "want to delete the most recent data file backup."  This has happened even when I select a set other than the most recent one.  Is this a bug? I have no other issues with backup -- everything seems to work fine. The selected set is deleted properly.

Windows 7 Pro, all important updates applied.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:54 AM Moved to appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Friday, November 26, 2010 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

This behavior is by design, Windows will automatically define which one is the most recent data. Since you backup everyday, however, not everyone does that so frequently, for them, this could be the most recent data.

I will report your feedback to Microsoft Feedback Team to let them know it. Your regarding is very appreciated.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 29, 2010 5:50 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, but I still don't think the behavior I'm seeing is correct.  I understand that if I try to delete the most recent period backup that the system would warn me.  What I see sometimes is the warning when I select an older (of 2 or 3 listed periods) complete set to delete.  I captured a screen shot of the backup control panel windows showing the selected backup set and the warning from the system.  Can I send you that PNG capture?
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

You can upload the picture using SkyDrive in a public folder.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 1:53 AM
  • This is the screen capture:

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pi673CDf2d2SigJJRIMa8QzJTmWwtLp3O1UocjhrzUxYqOGU04XoQci_pUv_JRFDFUHpii7eb0SsN0fzD5EFvKA/Capture.PNG?psid=1

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 2:11 PM
  • So was/is there any follow up or update on this?  I'm seeing the same behavior and wondering if there is any resolution.  I get this message pretty regularly when clearing space by deleting old backups.  I don't want to corrupt my backup by deleting something it actually needs.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:46 AM
  • No resolution as far as I know.  I'm still experiencing the problem.  The system deletes the backup period set that I select without causing any problems. It seems to label the last one in the list as the "most recent" even though it's not necessarily the most recent. The bug seems to be in how the system orders the list and the assumption that the last one is the most recent. If you use the Windows interface to delete the set, you shouldn't have any problems.  If you delete the files/folders manually, then you may cause other problems with info needed by the backup system.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:47 PM
  • I am having the same problem in Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit Dutch. In my case I noticed that the list of backup sets is not sorted chronologic. The most recent is on top, but further down it becomes a mess. I get the warning "do you want to delete the most recent data file backup" only when I try to delete the one at the bottom of the list wich is by far not the oldest. If I try to delete the most recent backup set it justs asks "do you want to delete this data file backup"

If I look into the backup folder on my NAS with Windows Explorer, the last modified date of the folders for the backup sets perfectly matches the names and they are sorted correctly.

If this is by design, the design is making terrible mistakes.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:05 PM
  • I am also having this same issue on all the PCs in our office. All are running Windows 7 Professional with SP1. Some are 32 bit, some are 64 bit so the problem is affecting both 32 and 64 bit versions.

I too and backing up to a network attached storage. It's a Seagate BlackArmor. I notice users "HighPlains" and "willemb22002" are both also backing up to a NAS. I wonder if perhaps it's the type of NAS that's causing the problem. I know the Seagate BlackArmor uses a customized version of Linux for it's OS - maybe that has some date incompatibility with Windows (or maybe I'm clutching at straws).

Would be interesting to know if "HighPlains" and "willemb22002"are using the same NAS.

Did you two find any solution?

Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:56 AM
  • I'm using a QNAP NAS, TS209 Pro. Haven't found any solution.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 3:54 PM