none
Can't Play DVD Movies in Windows 7

General discussion

• Since doing a clean install of Windows 7 on my second internal hard drive (dual booting into either Vista or Windows 7), I am not able to view a DVD movie.  Inserting the DVD into one of my two DVD drives opens Windows Media Player to a black screen and nothing else happens.  Opening the chapter list on the right side shows me the chapters, but clicking on any of them does nothing.  Opening the drop-down DVD menu shows the Root Menu grayed out as are the next three items; the bottom four items are active.  The DVD plays as it should on both DVD drives when I boot the system into Vista Ultimate.  I'd appreciate suggestions on what to try next.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 3:00 AM

All replies

• I believe there may be some issues playing protected dvd's - where your drive has been set as region free?  Is this the case for you?

Niall

Niall Ginsbourg - MVP Windows Media Center - Australia
    Monday, January 26, 2009 5:13 AM
  • Playing DVD's in either Media Center or Media Player seems to be broken.

You can install the software that came with your DVD drive, and that software will play the DVD's just fine. But trying to use MP or MC just results in a black screen.

In fact, they both simply stop reading the drive (check your drive light as you try and play the DVD - it stops seeking). It seems the codecs that are compatible with WinXP or Vista are not compatible with W7.

Or there is an issue with DRM, because the DVD will sometimes play through the first screens - like the FBI warnings - then stop.

It's a beta, and has some problems.

Monday, January 26, 2009 8:44 AM
  • I wondered about that.  When I opened Windows Explorer to check my two CD/DVD drives they were not shown.  When I put a CD in each drive, suddenly there they are with drive letters as they should be, but if the CD is removed, the listing goes away.  So far I've had no problem installing software from a CD; just the DVDs that are a problem.  Now I'll have to remember where I put the software discs that came with the drives :-( .
    Monday, January 26, 2009 8:50 AM
  • mobilewares said:

I believe there may be some issues playing protected dvd's - where your drive has been set as region free?  Is this the case for you?

Niall

No, that is not the case for me; but thanks for the response.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 8:51 AM
  • I've been successfully watching Pal (Region 4)  DVD's on Windows 7 Media Center (both from the Media and off HD) - which also works fine in WMP. There's the odd glitch (sometimes the movie will freeze and restart after an hour or so - and the dvd menu options sometimes don't register) - but is definitely usable/working.

ps - I've also heard of reports that installing some 3rd party products (which alter the 'default' codecs used) can potentially cause some playback issues. (if you have done this - try to uninstall these products and see if it's the cause).

Niall

Monday, January 26, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Mediaplayer and Media Centre play DVD's fine for region 2 in Windows 7, the only 3rd party player I have installed is VLC.

This is on a clean install that dual boots with OpenSolaris.

Monday, January 26, 2009 10:26 AM
  • I had a simliar issue with my external hard drive.  It wouldn't play any films via WMC saying that it was the wrong region.  Basically with messing about in the network settings and adding the folder where my films are kept everything was fine.

This was frustrating as the Video Library showed all my films on both the external and internal drives.  All films on the internal drive played fine, all those on the external came up with the region error, but as mentioned changing something in the network settings sorted this out.

Not sure if you guys use external HD's but something to bear in mind.

Monday, January 26, 2009 12:23 PM
  • TOActor said:

Since doing a clean install of Windows 7 on my second internal hard drive (dual booting into either Vista or Windows 7), I am not able to view a DVD movie.  Inserting the DVD into one of my two DVD drives opens Windows Media Player to a black screen and nothing else happens.  Opening the chapter list on the right side shows me the chapters, but clicking on any of them does nothing.  Opening the drop-down DVD menu shows the Root Menu grayed out as are the next three items; the bottom four items are active.  The DVD plays as it should on both DVD drives when I boot the system into Vista Ultimate.  I'd appreciate suggestions on what to try next.

I have this exact same error, I do have k-lite codec pack installed but i have k-lite installed on another pc running win7 and i don't have any issues running dvds.

*EDIT* just uninstalled k-lite and had no effect, still can't play dvds. dvd registers, opens wmp but blank screen and nothing else happens

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Another addition to my progress on this problem, Have tried a new dvd drive in my computer (this one is sATA connected instead of the IDE i was originally using). Unfortunatly this had no effect and I still couldn't view dvds.

*EDIT* I got my DVD's to work! I just downloaded VLC player after reading a similar issue people had been having in vista. I can now watch DVD's on my computer but it has to be through VLC, still can't watch them in wmp or media center. This does suggest a codec issue but i don't know how i can make it work in wmp now. I don't want to have to rely on VLC for watching DVD's when the new wmp looks so good.

Friday, January 30, 2009 11:51 AM
  • Have the same problem with dvd's the odd thing is that Vlc play's them with no problem along with other programs. very odd
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 1:36 PM
  • Here's the bottom line.  It seems windows 7 comes with no codecs on a clean install.  Are your versions of windows 7 clean installs or upgrades.  Vista home premium comes with pre installed sonic codecs.  When I upgraded vista to windows 7 the DVD play flawlessly.  In the control panel I see the codecs under the list of installed programs.  The clean install does not play dvd's and there are no installed codecs in the control panel.  Not many codecs work.  I've tried several and the only one that works is Anydvd by Slysoft which is trialware (http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html).  I haven't tried installing Roxio Creator 2009 but I bet this has the codecs in it as well.
    IC
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Apparently Roxio is the answer.  I'm now able to play the DVD's in Windows 7 since installing Roxio Creator 7.  There have also been a few Windows 7 updates since I first wrote my problem, so I'm not sure if it was one of those that fixed the problem, or the Roxio install.  I'm guessing it's the latter. 

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions.
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Interesting.  WMC works on my clean install of Windows 7 just fine.  How are the DVD's ripped to your hard drives?  As an ISO or .VOB files?  Mine are ripped to folders as .VOB and they all show up normally.  My HD-DVD/BLU-RAY drive also seems to be visible via VMC as it is showing the WALL-E disc currently in the drive.  The only third-party software I have installed has been Cyberlink's OEM suite of apps that came with the LG BD drive.  
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Thank you for the tip about VLC.  I was having the exact same problems from some of my BBC dvds (which are region 2 and 4).  SOOOO frustrating!

VLC played them perfectly!  No more Media Player for me!

Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:19 AM
  • Here's the bottom line.  It seems windows 7 comes with no codecs on a clean install.  Are your versions of windows 7 clean installs or upgrades.  Vista home premium comes with pre installed sonic codecs.  When I upgraded vista to windows 7 the DVD play flawlessly.  In the control panel I see the codecs under the list of installed programs.  The clean install does not play dvd's and there are no installed codecs in the control panel.  Not many codecs work.  I've tried several and the only one that works is Anydvd by Slysoft which is trialware (http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html).  I haven't tried installing Roxio Creator 2009 but I bet this has the codecs in it as well.
    IC

Shame you're not correct in this statement.  If win7 came with no codecs, then you'd have NO AUDIO, NO VIDEO, even from wav files, mp3s, avi files..... every single media file type has its own codec, and the player NEEDS that codec to deCODE the data.  Think about the name.

As it is win7 comes with all the standard codecs, including the ability to play DVD's, even copy protected ones.

I've never seen this issue until my brother, with a clean install media centre pc is having the region issue on dvds.  I know his machine is fine, as it was his xmas pressie off me, and my last 3 media centres have all been basic installs.  Infact even since XP days you've been able to play DVD's.

Saturday, January 07, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Bikky73: Windows 7 Home Basic and Starter don't come with a DVD decoder included, and neither did previous versions of Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/windows-media-player/dvd-codecs

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 1:07 PM
  • will this work with a windows 7 computer in America?

i want to watch something from a region 4 on an american laptop. would it let me?

Friday, January 13, 2012 7:54 PM
  • sydney2345: see the instructions at

http://grok.lsu.edu/article.aspx?articleid=2334

(the instructions are for Vista but should apply to Windows 7 as well)

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:29 PM
  • VLC worked for me too.  Thanks.

Just make sure you go to the right site for the download.  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Monday, June 25, 2012 8:41 PM